Re: heads

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8 7:27 PM
      willys57pu,

      '68-'73 heads [both 472 and 500] are 76cc. The 500" did not come in rwd
      cars until '74, so if your engine is a 73 500, it had to come out of an
      eldorado.

      74 472, and '74 -'76 500 heads are 120cc.
      Dave

      " <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
      > i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as they
      > could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers sizei
      > want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can complete
      > total rebuild on the 500.thanks
    • Daniel Green
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 9 12:35 AM
        David,
        According to my "Standard catalog of Cadillac", '74 de Villes,Calais and Fleetwoods came with the 472,meaning the 500 was available in RWD from the '75 year, not the '74.

        " wrote:
        > i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as they
        > could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers sizei
        > want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can complete
        > total rebuild on the 500.thanks

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/lkiolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Hall, Tony, JCW
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9 7:23 AM
          That's interesting. I had a '70 Fleetwood with a 500...
          Somebody must have swapped out the engine, I never knew it was
          changed...
          Hehehe guess you learn something new every day.

          Wish I still had that car, the trunk slept 5...

          Talk about a BOAT!!! Hehehe it sure was nice to drive, and would smoke
          the tires all day long.

          Oh well, tomorrow I'm taking a nice long bike (motorcycle) ride and
          looking at the '81 hearse I'm buying at the end of the month.
          Taking inventory of all I'm going to need to fix... Can't beat it for
          $300...

          It'll probably end up with a 500 in it... All I'm going to use it for
          (well, except for a bit of fun here and there) is towing my camping
          trailer during the summer (a little 70's 14ft Shasta).

          Tony

          Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:27:14 -0000
          From: "david brode" <dbrode@...>
          Subject: Re: heads

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9 2:10 PM
            Daniel,

            You are correct, rws cars were 472" in '74 [and before]. I stand
            corrected. I should have proof-read my post.

            Tony,

            The factory does odd things sometimes, but according to every expert
            out there, the 500 was eldo only in '70. [and '71, 72, 73 and '74].
            Dave

            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Green
            <frogdada@y...> wrote:
            > David,
            > According to my "Standard catalog of Cadillac", '74 de
            Villes,Calais and Fleetwoods came with the 472,meaning the 500 was
            available in RWD from the '75 year, not the '74.

            > david brode <dbrode@h...> wrote:
            > willys57pu,
            >
            > '68-'73 heads [both 472 and 500] are 76cc. The 500" did not come in
            rwd
            > cars until '74, so if your engine is a 73 500, it had to come out
            of an
            > eldorado.
            >
            > 74 472, and '74 -'76 500 heads are 120cc.
            > Dave
            >

            > " wrote:
            > > i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as
            they
            > > could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers
            sizei
            > > want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can
            complete
            > > total rebuild on the 500.thanks
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide
            with voicemail
          • willys57pu
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9 7:55 PM
              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Tony,
              JCW" <Tony.Hall@j...> wrote:
              > That's interesting. I had a '70 Fleetwood with a 500...
              > Somebody must have swapped out the engine, I never knew it was
              > changed...
              > Hehehe guess you learn something new every day.
              >
              > Wish I still had that car, the trunk slept 5...
              >
              > Talk about a BOAT!!! Hehehe it sure was nice to drive, and would
              smoke
              > the tires all day long.
              >
              > Oh well, tomorrow I'm taking a nice long bike (motorcycle) ride and
              > looking at the '81 hearse I'm buying at the end of the month.
              > Taking inventory of all I'm going to need to fix... Can't beat it
              for
              > $300...
              >
              > It'll probably end up with a 500 in it... All I'm going to use it
              for
              > (well, except for a bit of fun here and there) is towing my camping
              > trailer during the summer (a little 70's 14ft Shasta).
              >
              > Tony
              >

              > Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:27:14 -0000
              > From: "david brode" <dbrode@h...>
              > Subject: Re: heads
              >
              > willys57pu,
              >
              > '68-'73 heads [both 472 and 500] are 76cc. The 500" did not come in
              rwd
              > cars until '74, so if your engine is a 73 500, it had to come out
              of an
              > eldorado.
              >
              > 74 472, and '74 -'76 500 heads are 120cc.
              > Dave
              >

              > " <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
              > > i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as
              they
              > > could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers
              sizei
              > > want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can
              complete
              > > total rebuild on the 500.thanks.i must have missed something in
              my original post.i know that 500 motors only came in eldo's until 75
              and 76.i just did'nt know for sure what the ratio was for the early
              heads.the engine actually came from a rotted out 67 olds
              toronado.what do i have to do to make sure its one of the early heads
              thanks again