heads

  • willys57pu
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2005
      i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as they
      could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers sizei
      want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can complete a
      total rebuild on the 500.thanks
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
        willys57pu,

        '68-'73 heads [both 472 and 500] are 76cc. The 500" did not come in rwd
        cars until '74, so if your engine is a 73 500, it had to come out of an
        eldorado.

        74 472, and '74 -'76 500 heads are 120cc.
        Dave

        " <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
        > i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as they
        > could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers sizei
        > want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can complete
        > total rebuild on the 500.thanks
      • Daniel Green
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2005
          David,
          According to my "Standard catalog of Cadillac", '74 de Villes,Calais and Fleetwoods came with the 472,meaning the 500 was available in RWD from the '75 year, not the '74.

          " wrote:
          > i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as they
          > could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers sizei
          > want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can complete
          > total rebuild on the 500.thanks

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/lkiolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Hall, Tony, JCW
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2005
            That's interesting. I had a '70 Fleetwood with a 500...
            Somebody must have swapped out the engine, I never knew it was
            changed...
            Hehehe guess you learn something new every day.

            Wish I still had that car, the trunk slept 5...

            Talk about a BOAT!!! Hehehe it sure was nice to drive, and would smoke
            the tires all day long.

            Oh well, tomorrow I'm taking a nice long bike (motorcycle) ride and
            looking at the '81 hearse I'm buying at the end of the month.
            Taking inventory of all I'm going to need to fix... Can't beat it for
            $300...

            It'll probably end up with a 500 in it... All I'm going to use it for
            (well, except for a bit of fun here and there) is towing my camping
            trailer during the summer (a little 70's 14ft Shasta).

            Tony

            Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:27:14 -0000
            From: "david brode" <dbrode@...>
            Subject: Re: heads

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2005
              Daniel,

              You are correct, rws cars were 472" in '74 [and before]. I stand
              corrected. I should have proof-read my post.

              Tony,

              The factory does odd things sometimes, but according to every expert
              out there, the 500 was eldo only in '70. [and '71, 72, 73 and '74].
              Dave

              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Green
              <frogdada@y...> wrote:
              > David,
              > According to my "Standard catalog of Cadillac", '74 de
              Villes,Calais and Fleetwoods came with the 472,meaning the 500 was
              available in RWD from the '75 year, not the '74.

              > david brode <dbrode@h...> wrote:
              > willys57pu,
              >
              > '68-'73 heads [both 472 and 500] are 76cc. The 500" did not come in
              rwd
              > cars until '74, so if your engine is a 73 500, it had to come out
              of an
              > eldorado.
              >
              > 74 472, and '74 -'76 500 heads are 120cc.
              > Dave
              >

              > " wrote:
              > > i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as
              they
              > > could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers
              sizei
              > > want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can
              complete
              > > total rebuild on the 500.thanks
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Yahoo! Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide
              with voicemail
            • willys57pu
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2005
                --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Tony,
                JCW" <Tony.Hall@j...> wrote:
                > That's interesting. I had a '70 Fleetwood with a 500...
                > Somebody must have swapped out the engine, I never knew it was
                > changed...
                > Hehehe guess you learn something new every day.
                >
                > Wish I still had that car, the trunk slept 5...
                >
                > Talk about a BOAT!!! Hehehe it sure was nice to drive, and would
                smoke
                > the tires all day long.
                >
                > Oh well, tomorrow I'm taking a nice long bike (motorcycle) ride and
                > looking at the '81 hearse I'm buying at the end of the month.
                > Taking inventory of all I'm going to need to fix... Can't beat it
                for
                > $300...
                >
                > It'll probably end up with a 500 in it... All I'm going to use it
                for
                > (well, except for a bit of fun here and there) is towing my camping
                > trailer during the summer (a little 70's 14ft Shasta).
                >
                > Tony
                >

                > Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:27:14 -0000
                > From: "david brode" <dbrode@h...>
                > Subject: Re: heads
                >
                > willys57pu,
                >
                > '68-'73 heads [both 472 and 500] are 76cc. The 500" did not come in
                rwd
                > cars until '74, so if your engine is a 73 500, it had to come out
                of an
                > eldorado.
                >
                > 74 472, and '74 -'76 500 heads are 120cc.
                > Dave
                >

                > " <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
                > > i have a complete 500 engine.i was told it was a 1973 as far as
                they
                > > could remember.how do i know for sure the combustion chambers
                sizei
                > > want to run the heads on a good 1978 425 i have untill i can
                complete
                > > total rebuild on the 500.thanks.i must have missed something in
                my original post.i know that 500 motors only came in eldo's until 75
                and 76.i just did'nt know for sure what the ratio was for the early
                heads.the engine actually came from a rotted out 67 olds
                toronado.what do i have to do to make sure its one of the early heads
                thanks again