Re: building your own intake

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2005
      Jacob,

      Dry = no fuel in the intake, as in tbi.

      Not sure, but I doubt that 2" o.d. would feed a 5500-5800 rpm 500.
      Dave

      Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
      > what do you mean by dry?? it sounds like it is, i want a multi port
      fuel injection, not tbi, wont suport enough HP barly 400 im told and
      i want the look of the lt-1 or TPI that would be suficent, so how do
      i figure out runner size? i was thinkin 2'' runners, i don't want to
      kill low end tourque, but i don't want to choke it on the top end
      either, it will need to breath to 5500-5800 RPM

      > david brode <dbrode@h...> wrote:Jacob,
      >
      > You talking dry intake with port injectors? If so, you could cross
      the
      > runners from side to side, even U-turning them back around, into
      the
      > side of the plenum, on the opposite side. Like an tuned port chev
      > intake. I'd make the runners as long as possible.
      > Dave
      >

      > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Jacob
      > Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > what would it take to build your own intake for a 500 cad? i want
      > build a lt-1 style intake for my engine (want it to look stock in
      my 94
      > buick roadmaster estate wagon) i was thinkin a short tunnel ram
      style
      > with a throttlle body on the end? is it possible? its really a
      street
      > engine. so how would i build the intake so im not killin low end
      torqe?

      > > ---------------------------------

      > Cadillac engine Cadillac car

      Service.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jacob Vogelpohl
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 26, 2005
        hmm.. how about square tubing to match the ports? and how big should i make the plenium (can't spell sorry) and how can i bend the tubing at home?

        Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
        > what do you mean by dry?? it sounds like it is, i want a multi port
        fuel injection, not tbi,  wont suport enough HP barly 400 im told and
        i want the look of the lt-1 or TPI that would be suficent, so how do
        i figure out runner size? i was thinkin 2'' runners, i don't want to
        kill low end tourque, but i don't want to choke it on the top end
        either, it will need to breath to 5500-5800 RPM

        > david brode <dbrode@h...> wrote:Jacob,
        >
        > You talking dry intake with port injectors? If so, you could cross
        the
        > runners from side to side, even U-turning them back around, into
        the
        > side of the plenum, on the opposite side. Like an tuned port chev
        > intake. I'd make the runners as long as possible.
        > Dave
        >

        > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Jacob
        > Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > what would it take to build your own intake for a 500 cad? i want
        > build a lt-1 style intake for my engine (want it to look stock in
        my 94
        > buick roadmaster estate wagon) i was thinkin a short tunnel ram
        style
        > with a throttlle body on the end? is it possible? its really a
        street
        > engine. so how would i build the intake so im not killin low end
        torqe?

        > > ---------------------------------
        > >  Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

        > Cadillac engine Cadillac car

        Service.

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2005
          Jacob,

          Square [actually rectangle] tubing would work, but I have no idea how
          you would bend it at home.

          Realize that the ideal runner would be larger at the plenum, and
          taper as it goes to the valve. You can find info out there, as well
          as books on intake manifold design.

          Remember the ACME intake. It had long ports that did not taper. Made
          very good mid-range, but even with two fours, it killed top end bad.
          Iirc, it peaked at 4000 or so.

          There's all sorts of engineering-eze used to size a plenum.

          Finally, if I was going to port efi a caddy, I'd use a 2115 edel, and
          get the thing running, then worry about building the "ideal" intake
          later. A stock edel isn't going to allow 5800 on a 500", but then
          neither will iron heads, unless they are ported by someone that
          really knows what they are doing. Imo, fwiw, the camshaft needed for
          a 5500-5800 rpm caddy and most home-brew efi systems aren't going to
          like each other.
          Dave

        • Jacob Vogelpohl
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2005
            in the end im lookin for 500 hp and 600 ftlbs 10.5-1 comp. with the 15 series cam from mts
            RPM Range; 2200-5400 / Advertised Duration Range; 286-295 / Duration @ .050 Range: 230-238 / Valve Lift Range: .540"- .550"

            so 5500-5800 may be pushing it..im pullin out a lt-1 350 and replacing it with the cad 500 and i want it to look modern, serpentine belts and everything, do the newer b-bodys (91-96) have the same mounts as the older ones? i originally had this 500 in my 83 delta 88 and she's gone frame stands n all... i beleave i got them out of a 77 coupe deville anyways will those same frame stands bolt in??

            http://mail.yahoo.com