500 heads

  • willys57pu
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2005
      hey thanks sean. here's another one for ya will 500 heads fit on a 425
      block or are the combustion chambers totally different. i've seen some
      posts that 425 heads will fit a 500 for like a true 10.50 compression
      ratio but you have to drill out some coolant passages,but i hav'nt seen
      any on the reverse thanks again
    • PAUL LIMA
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2005
        Are you a mechanic?

        --- willys57pu <willys57pu@...> wrote:

        > hey thanks sean. here's another one for ya will 500
        > heads fit on a 425
        > block or are the combustion chambers totally
        > different. i've seen some
        > posts that 425 heads will fit a 500 for like a true
        > 10.50 compression
        > ratio but you have to drill out some coolant
        > passages,but i hav'nt seen
        > any on the reverse thanks again

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • willys57pu
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 25, 2005
          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, PAUL LIMA
          <perezpr30@y...> wrote:
          > Are you a mechanic?
          >
          > --- willys57pu <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > hey thanks sean. here's another one for ya will 500
          > > heads fit on a 425
          > > block or are the combustion chambers totally
          > > different. i've seen some
          > > posts that 425 heads will fit a 500 for like a true
          > > 10.50 compression
          > > ratio but you have to drill out some coolant
          > > passages,but i hav'nt seen
          > > any on the reverse thanks again
          > >

          > > been doing it for long long time, still learn something new all
          the time
          > professional no but i like to rebuild motors and trans in my
          garage.i just recently got interested in the cad motors.i like all
          big blocks but have more experience with olds and fords.

          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Sean Janne
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 26, 2005
            The 500 heads will fit the 425. But depending on
            which heads you use, either the 76cc or 120cc heads,
            the compression will vary. The 425 uses 96cc heads,
            so the 76cc heads will increase compression greatly,
            and the 120cc heads will lower compression.
            The early 76cc head must never be added to a later
            120cc engine without changing the connecting rods and
            pistons. This could result in around 13:1 compression
            and some broken valves. 120cc heads on a 76cc engine
            will produce around 7:1 compression.
            The 425's 96cc heads can be made to fit a earlier
            engine, but the ports must be machined to match the
            intake manifold ports.

            --- willys57pu <willys57pu@...> wrote:

            > hey thanks sean. here's another one for ya will 500
            > heads fit on a 425
            > block or are the combustion chambers totally
            > different. i've seen some
            > posts that 425 heads will fit a 500 for like a true
            > 10.50 compression
            > ratio but you have to drill out some coolant
            > passages,but i hav'nt seen
            > any on the reverse thanks again

            Sean Janne
            2000 STS 4.6L Northstar
            1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
            1979 Sedan Deville 472
            Cadillac Hot Rod page
            http://members.tripod.com/~CadillacMan/79cadpage.html

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • PAUL LIMA
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 26, 2005
              How would you like to make $20-80 thousand per year
              selling the Roil treatment system for cars? This is a
              great opportunity. Let me know what you think. Roil is
              a multi purpose metal conditioner. This high-tech
              formulation contains no suspended solids such as
              Teflon or graphite. Unlike other oil treatments, Roil
              Gold does not contain films or coatings that can plug
              filters or cause buildup on internal moving parts.
              Rather, it creates a metal-conditioning system that
              reduces metal friction.
              Potential Benefits:
              Reduces engine heat by reducing friction and
              increasing heat transfer
              Guards against corrosive buildup
              Minimizes repair costs
              Improves engine efficiency
              Extends engine life
              Blends with petroleum or synthetic oils
              Conditions metallic surfaces to repel each other and
              reduce friction
              Increases fuel economy by improved glide
              Reduces maintenance cost by reducing drag
              Reduces cold start wear with easy turnover
              Reduces operation costs
              Extends drain cycles
              May improve engine power

              --- willys57pu <willys57pu@...> wrote:

              > --- In
              > Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com,
              > PAUL LIMA
              > <perezpr30@y...> wrote:
              > > Are you a mechanic?
              > >
              > > --- willys57pu <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > hey thanks sean. here's another one for ya will
              > 500
              > > > heads fit on a 425
              > > > block or are the combustion chambers totally
              > > > different. i've seen some
              > > > posts that 425 heads will fit a 500 for like a
              > true
              > > > 10.50 compression
              > > > ratio but you have to drill out some coolant
              > > > passages,but i hav'nt seen
              > > > any on the reverse thanks again
              > > >

              > > > been doing it for long long time, still learn
              > something new all
              > the time
              > > professional no but i like to rebuild motors and
              > trans in my
              > garage.i just recently got interested in the cad
              > motors.i like all
              > big blocks but have more experience with olds and
              > fords.

              > page
              > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Sean Janne
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 26, 2005
                No thanks! I'll stick to Mobil 1!

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 26, 2005
                  If you tried it, you would leave Mobil 1. It's that
                  good.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 26, 2005
                    SpamslutPaul,

                    you sell Amway too?
                    Dave

                    <perezpr30@y...> wrote:
                    > If you tried it, you would leave Mobil 1. It's that
                    > good.
                    >
                    > --- Sean Janne <caddydaddy472@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > No thanks! I'll stick to Mobil 1!
                    > >
                    > > --- PAUL LIMA <perezpr30@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > How would you like to make $20-80 thousand per
                    > > year
                    > > > selling the Roil treatment system for cars? This
                    > > is
                    > > > great opportunity. Let me know what you think.
                    > > Roil
                    > > > is
                    > > > a multi purpose metal conditioner. This high-tech
                    > > > formulation contains no suspended solids such as
                    > > > Teflon or graphite. Unlike other oil treatments,
                    > > > Roil
                    > > > Gold does not contain films or coatings that can
                    > > > plug
                    > > > filters or cause buildup on internal moving parts.
                    > > > Rather, it creates a metal-conditioning system
                    > > that
                    > > > reduces metal friction.
                    > > > Potential Benefits:
                    > > > Reduces engine heat by reducing friction and
                    > > > increasing heat transfer
                    > > > Guards against corrosive buildup
                    > > > Minimizes repair costs
                    > > > Improves engine efficiency
                    > > > Extends engine life
                    > > > Blends with petroleum or synthetic oils
                    > > > Conditions metallic surfaces to repel each other
                    > > and
                    > > > reduce friction
                    > > > Increases fuel economy by improved glide
                    > > > Reduces maintenance cost by reducing drag
                    > > > Reduces cold start wear with easy turnover
                    > > > Reduces operation costs
                    > > > Extends drain cycles
                    > > > May improve engine power

                    > > Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com,

                    > > > will

                    > > learn
                    > > and
                    > > and

                    > > > protection around
                    > > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Sean Janne
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 27, 2005
                      If it's that good, how come I've never heard of it?
                      I'm not about to put some new, untested product into
                      my $10,000 engine!

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • willys57pu
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 9, 2005
                        hey thanks for the replys. i know that 500 engines only came on 70 and
                        up eldo's.my engine actually came out of a rotted out 67 olds
                        toronado.the guy that did the transplant said he thought from memory
                        that he got it out of a 73 eldo.i guess what i'am trying to find out is
                        how do i tell if in fact it is a 73 with the 76 cc heads and not a 74
                        and newer 500. thanks again.torque rules and cadillac was king of the
                        road
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 10, 2005
                          willys57pu,

                          The 68-73 heads have a heart shaped chamber. A 74 -76 head will have a
                          sort of a "D" shaped chamber.

                          The 74-76 500 piston will be almost a flat top, with a very shallow,
                          round, flat bottom recess of apx 2.5" diameter. If it does not have
                          such a piston, it's either a pre '74 500, or a 472.

                          Btw - I assume that you've measured the stroke, and it is 4.304"
                          [almost 4 & 5/16". A 472 will be 4 & 1/16".
                          Dave

                          " <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
                          > hey thanks for the replys. i know that 500 engines only came on 70
                          and
                          > up eldo's.my engine actually came out of a rotted out 67 olds
                          > toronado.the guy that did the transplant said he thought from memory
                          > that he got it out of a 73 eldo.i guess what i'am trying to find out
                          is
                          > how do i tell if in fact it is a 73 with the 76 cc heads and not a 74
                          > and newer 500. thanks again.torque rules and cadillac was king of the
                          > road
                        • willys57pu
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 11, 2005
                            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
                            brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:
                            > willys57pu,
                            >
                            > The 68-73 heads have a heart shaped chamber. A 74 -76 head will
                            have a
                            > sort of a "D" shaped chamber.
                            >
                            > The 74-76 500 piston will be almost a flat top, with a very
                            shallow,
                            > round, flat bottom recess of apx 2.5" diameter. If it does not have
                            > such a piston, it's either a pre '74 500, or a 472.
                            >
                            > Btw - I assume that you've measured the stroke, and it is 4.304"
                            > [almost 4 & 5/16". A 472 will be 4 & 1/16".
                            > Dave
                            >

                            > " <willys57pu@y...> wrote:
                            > > hey thanks for the replys. i know that 500 engines only came on
                            70
                            > and
                            > > up eldo's.my engine actually came out of a rotted out 67 olds
                            > > toronado.the guy that did the transplant said he thought from
                            memory
                            > > that he got it out of a 73 eldo.i guess what i'am trying to find
                            out
                            > is
                            > > how do i tell if in fact it is a 73 with the 76 cc heads and not
                            a 74
                            > > and newer 500. thanks again.torque rules and cadillac was king of
                            the
                            > > road.hey thanks dave they have the heart shaped chambers.and the
                            stroke says its a 500
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 14, 2005
                              Willys,

                              Good deal. A set of KNs or e-bay Ross pistons, and you'll have a 10-1
                              compression bad boy.
                              Dave