Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Digest Number 668

  • william.lucke@highspeedlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2005
      2" is almost certainly too big. 2" primaries on headers are enormous, and
      intake runners need to be smaller than exhaust runners owing to the
      smaller volume of intake than exhaust.

      The LT1 style intake won't cost you any low RPM torque if you chose your
      cam correctly. At RPM below the primary resonant frequency, the runner
      acts like a non-resonant dump and neither enhances nor detracts from flow
      volume at different frequencies. That's why LT1's have virtually flat
      torque curves from almost off idle right up to the RPM at which the torque
      curve noses over. The runners are so short that the stock engine barely
      gets into the RPM range at which the runners have resonant effects, so the
      runners are straight dumps for most of the RPM range. No part of the range
      is enhanced or detrimented relative to the rest.

      Compare to TPI with 26" runners, which enhances low RPM torque heavily at
      the expense of upper RPM torque and the LS1 with ~14" runners that enhance
      upper midrange at the expense of extreme high RPM and extreme low RPM.
      (despite shorter runners, LT1's pull harder off idle than LS1's, but the
      LS1's power to 6 or 6.5K really runs away from that of the LT1).

      Will

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2005
        Will,

        Don't bet on it. Unlike the exhaust side, the intake has only the
        atmosphere pushing it.

        If you don't believe me, do some looking out there for intake
        manifold design, and you'll see.

        btw - off topic, but 2" headers aren't enormous on a 500", esp a 5500-
        5800 rpm one.
        Regards,