building your own intake

  • Jacob Vogelpohl
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21 7:44 PM

      what would it take to build your own intake for a 500 cad? i want to build a lt-1 style intake for my engine (want it to look stock in my 94 buick roadmaster estate wagon) i was thinkin a short tunnel ram style with a throttlle body on the end? is it possible? its really a street engine. so how would i build the intake so im not killin low end torqe?

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22 4:30 PM
        Jacob,

        You talking dry intake with port injectors? If so, you could cross the
        runners from side to side, even U-turning them back around, into the
        side of the plenum, on the opposite side. Like an tuned port chev
        intake. I'd make the runners as long as possible.
        Dave

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Jacob
        Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:

        > what would it take to build your own intake for a 500 cad? i want to
        build a lt-1 style intake for my engine (want it to look stock in my 94
        buick roadmaster estate wagon) i was thinkin a short tunnel ram style
        with a throttlle body on the end? is it possible? its really a street
        engine. so how would i build the intake so im not killin low end torqe?

        > ---------------------------------
      • Jacob Vogelpohl
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22 7:05 PM
          what do you mean by dry?? it sounds like it is, i want a multi port fuel injection, not tbi,  wont suport enough HP barly 400 im told and i want the look of the lt-1 or TPI that would be suficent, so how do i figure out runner size? i was thinkin 2'' runners, i don't want to kill low end tourque, but i don't want to choke it on the top end either, it will need to breath to 5500-5800 RPM

          http://mail.yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 26 3:58 PM
            Jacob,

            Dry = no fuel in the intake, as in tbi.

            Not sure, but I doubt that 2" o.d. would feed a 5500-5800 rpm 500.
            Dave

            Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
            > what do you mean by dry?? it sounds like it is, i want a multi port
            fuel injection, not tbi, wont suport enough HP barly 400 im told and
            i want the look of the lt-1 or TPI that would be suficent, so how do
            i figure out runner size? i was thinkin 2'' runners, i don't want to
            kill low end tourque, but i don't want to choke it on the top end
            either, it will need to breath to 5500-5800 RPM

            > david brode <dbrode@h...> wrote:Jacob,
            >
            > You talking dry intake with port injectors? If so, you could cross
            the
            > runners from side to side, even U-turning them back around, into
            the
            > side of the plenum, on the opposite side. Like an tuned port chev
            > intake. I'd make the runners as long as possible.
            > Dave
            >

            > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Jacob
            > Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > what would it take to build your own intake for a 500 cad? i want
            > build a lt-1 style intake for my engine (want it to look stock in
            my 94
            > buick roadmaster estate wagon) i was thinkin a short tunnel ram
            style
            > with a throttlle body on the end? is it possible? its really a
            street
            > engine. so how would i build the intake so im not killin low end
            torqe?

            > > ---------------------------------

            > Cadillac engine Cadillac car

            Service.

            > http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jacob Vogelpohl
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 26 5:23 PM
              hmm.. how about square tubing to match the ports? and how big should i make the plenium (can't spell sorry) and how can i bend the tubing at home?

              Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
              > what do you mean by dry?? it sounds like it is, i want a multi port
              fuel injection, not tbi,  wont suport enough HP barly 400 im told and
              i want the look of the lt-1 or TPI that would be suficent, so how do
              i figure out runner size? i was thinkin 2'' runners, i don't want to
              kill low end tourque, but i don't want to choke it on the top end
              either, it will need to breath to 5500-5800 RPM

              > david brode <dbrode@h...> wrote:Jacob,
              >
              > You talking dry intake with port injectors? If so, you could cross
              the
              > runners from side to side, even U-turning them back around, into
              the
              > side of the plenum, on the opposite side. Like an tuned port chev
              > intake. I'd make the runners as long as possible.
              > Dave
              >

              > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, Jacob
              > Vogelpohl <vogey@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > what would it take to build your own intake for a 500 cad? i want
              > build a lt-1 style intake for my engine (want it to look stock in
              my 94
              > buick roadmaster estate wagon) i was thinkin a short tunnel ram
              style
              > with a throttlle body on the end? is it possible? its really a
              street
              > engine. so how would i build the intake so im not killin low end
              torqe?

              > > ---------------------------------
              > >  Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

              > Cadillac engine Cadillac car

              Service.

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 27 7:56 AM
                Jacob,

                Square [actually rectangle] tubing would work, but I have no idea how
                you would bend it at home.

                Realize that the ideal runner would be larger at the plenum, and
                taper as it goes to the valve. You can find info out there, as well
                as books on intake manifold design.

                Remember the ACME intake. It had long ports that did not taper. Made
                very good mid-range, but even with two fours, it killed top end bad.
                Iirc, it peaked at 4000 or so.

                There's all sorts of engineering-eze used to size a plenum.

                Finally, if I was going to port efi a caddy, I'd use a 2115 edel, and
                get the thing running, then worry about building the "ideal" intake
                later. A stock edel isn't going to allow 5800 on a 500", but then
                neither will iron heads, unless they are ported by someone that
                really knows what they are doing. Imo, fwiw, the camshaft needed for
                a 5500-5800 rpm caddy and most home-brew efi systems aren't going to
                like each other.
                Dave

              • Jacob Vogelpohl
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 27 5:06 PM
                  in the end im lookin for 500 hp and 600 ftlbs 10.5-1 comp. with the 15 series cam from mts
                  RPM Range; 2200-5400 / Advertised Duration Range; 286-295 / Duration @ .050 Range: 230-238 / Valve Lift Range: .540"- .550"

                  so 5500-5800 may be pushing it..im pullin out a lt-1 350 and replacing it with the cad 500 and i want it to look modern, serpentine belts and everything, do the newer b-bodys (91-96) have the same mounts as the older ones? i originally had this 500 in my 83 delta 88 and she's gone frame stands n all... i beleave i got them out of a 77 coupe deville anyways will those same frame stands bolt in??

                  http://mail.yahoo.com