Re: Exaust Manifold Leak

  • Tommy Pierson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2005
      Yes they do come loose, but the noise is more of a popping sound
      from the heads. Carefully put your ands near the exhaust manifold
      gaskets to feel for the leaks. Be careful, it gets real hot.

      A "monster" noise is more likely coming from the flanges at the Y-
      pipe. I've had both leak on my 73, and it's best to tighten the 2
      flange bolts a little at a time on both sides of the pipe, or the
      football shaped pipe will get lop-sided.

      Changing the gaskets yourself on the 472 isn't too difficult if your
      bolts are in good shape. If you decide to do it yourself, replace
      the bolts. You don't want one to break off in the head.
      I've heard of guys soaking the gaskets in water to make them swell
      up, or painting them to seal against the head. My book says to put a
      coat of molly grease on the gasket.

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "TC"