Re: 472 rear sump oil pan

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
      Roy,

      The '68-'78 big eldo rear sump pan is the best bet, but make sure to
      get the pu tube, as those pu tubes are no longer available new.

      Afaik, the weird [welded sump] rear sump pan from the smaller '79
      to '84 fwd cars [425" and 368"] might also work, but I'm not sure
      which pu tube is required. You *may* be able to use a pu tube from
      the '79 car, as afaik, it was a 425". Afaik, the pu tube from the 80-
      84 engines [368"] will work on the the '68-'79 engines.

      Not sure if your Nova subframe will allow it, but the '77-84 rwd pan
      is a mid sump. Afaik, the '77-'79 pu tube must be used, but the 80-84
      pan is the same as the 77-79.

      I would try to get the dipstick tube from the engine the pan comes
      from, and note which hole it is in when you remove it.
      Dave

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, roybilt@w...
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
        I wrote;

        "Afaik, the pu tube from the 80-84 engines [368"] will work on the '68-
        '79 engines"

        Should read "will NOT work" on '68-'79 engines.
        Dave
      • roybilt@wmconnect.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
          thanks Dave. i now have a pan, pu tube, and the necessary gaskets in my posession. the pan is a used one from a 79 deville 425. the tube is new, but for that motor. gaskets of course are the same for the 472 and 425. sometime next week i should know if it will work in my nova frame. if it does, i will post a picture or 2. all the measurements i've made indicate it will work. i may still have to use a relocator kit on the oil filter, but that is not hard to live with. i'll be sure to keep y'all posted. here is a pic of what its going to be powering.
          Roy

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
            Roy,

            The 425 pu tube will work on the 472. Fyi - the 425 oil pump also
            helps with filter clearance on some swaps.

          • roybilt@wmconnect.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
              thanks again Dave, i'll keep that in mind
              Roy