Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] 472 rear sump oil pan

  • Sean Janne
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi Roy,
      You can use the Eldorado oil pans from the 500's,
      but those are getting rare and very expensive for a
      used one! I've seen them go on eBay for over $100!
      On my 472 I used the 425 oil pan from a Deville. You
      can use any 425 pan from a Deville or Fleetwood. You
      can also use the 368 oil pans, but I've heard they
      don't clear the crank and rods as good as the 425
      pans.

      --- roybilt@... wrote:

      > does anyone know if such a thing exists? i want to
      > drop my 1973 472 down in
      > my 37 pontiac which has a 70 nova front frame under
      > it. i need a rear sump to
      > clear the crossmember and tie rods.
      > Roy

      Sean Janne
      2000 STS 4.6L Northstar
      1994 Sedan Deville 4.9L
      1979 Sedan Deville 472
      Cadillac Hot Rod page
      http://members.tripod.com/~CadillacMan/79cadpage.html

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Dee
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 12, 2005
        I check for weeks and got this tip: that the oil pan (and the oil
        pickup) from a 1980 cadi with...I cant remember....368 or 386 c/i works-
        -pretty sure its 386. I think that motor only appeared in 1980. My
        husband is putting a 69 cadi 472ci into an 57 cadi and we had that same
        problem with the pan placement. Well, the oil pan bolted right up and
        it fits like a glove. I think the dipstick had to be moved but it wasnt
        a big deal....I wasnt there to see that but he pointed that out and
        said it wasnt any problem. We havent run the motor yet....I also heard
        that the pan may need to be beat out a bit so nothing rubs on the
        inside but we don't think thats going to be a problem. Everything fit
        right on. Hope that helps!
      • Dee
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 12, 2005
          I check for weeks and got this tip: that the oil pan (and the oil
          pickup) from a 1980 cadi with...I cant remember....368 or 386 c/i works-
          -pretty sure its 386. I think that motor only appeared in 1980. My
          husband is putting a 69 cadi 472ci into an 57 cadi and we had that same
          problem with the pan placement. Well, the oil pan bolted right up and
          it fits like a glove. I think the dipstick had to be moved but it wasnt
          a big deal....I wasnt there to see that but he pointed that out and
          said it wasnt any problem. We havent run the motor yet....I also heard
          that the pan may need to be beat out a bit so nothing rubs on the
          inside but we don't think thats going to be a problem. Everything fit
          right on. Hope that helps!
        • Sir Gordon the Great
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 12, 2005

            My ABS light is on and also I got a flashing signal for SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM?  DOes that mean my brakes are going, or need pads?

            99 STS

            "Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open"
                  Sir James Dewar

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • roybilt@wmconnect.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 12, 2005
              Dee,
              thank you so much. yes, from what i've been told the 368 will work, but you have to give it a ding or two from the inside for clearance. i also was told the 79-81 deville 425 oil pan will work as well, but without any modifications. i have one of those coming saturday. i will post the results as soon as i try it. i had the caddy motor sitting here and really hated to buy a different engine, especially a chevy. so with this pan i should be able to use the 472 in my ol' coupe. should be different to say the least.
              thanks again and God bless,
              Roy
            • Sean Janne
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 12, 2005
                The 425 was used from 1977-1979. You can also use the
                Eldorado oil pan from any of the 500's, but they are
                getting rare and expensive. On my 472 I have a pan,
                pickup and all the pulleys from a 1979 425.

                --- roybilt@... wrote:

                > Dee,
                > thank you so much. yes, from what i've been told the
                > 368 will work, but you
                > have to give it a ding or two from the inside for
                > clearance. i also was told
                > the 79-81 deville 425 oil pan will work as well, but
                > without any modifications.
                > i have one of those coming saturday. i will post the
                > results as soon as i try
                > it. i had the caddy motor sitting here and really
                > hated to buy a different
                > engine, especially a chevy. so with this pan i
                > should be able to use the 472 in
                > my ol' coupe. should be different to say the least.
                > thanks again and God bless,
                > Roy

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Dee
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 13, 2005
                  Let me know. If my way does'nt work, I'll try your way!
                  Thanks
                • roger pozzi

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
                      Roy,

                      The '68-'78 big eldo rear sump pan is the best bet, but make sure to
                      get the pu tube, as those pu tubes are no longer available new.

                      Afaik, the weird [welded sump] rear sump pan from the smaller '79
                      to '84 fwd cars [425" and 368"] might also work, but I'm not sure
                      which pu tube is required. You *may* be able to use a pu tube from
                      the '79 car, as afaik, it was a 425". Afaik, the pu tube from the 80-
                      84 engines [368"] will work on the the '68-'79 engines.

                      Not sure if your Nova subframe will allow it, but the '77-84 rwd pan
                      is a mid sump. Afaik, the '77-'79 pu tube must be used, but the 80-84
                      pan is the same as the 77-79.

                      I would try to get the dipstick tube from the engine the pan comes
                      from, and note which hole it is in when you remove it.
                      Dave

                      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, roybilt@w...
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
                        I wrote;

                        "Afaik, the pu tube from the 80-84 engines [368"] will work on the '68-
                        '79 engines"

                        Should read "will NOT work" on '68-'79 engines.
                        Dave
                      • roybilt@wmconnect.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 18, 2005
                          thanks Dave. i now have a pan, pu tube, and the necessary gaskets in my posession. the pan is a used one from a 79 deville 425. the tube is new, but for that motor. gaskets of course are the same for the 472 and 425. sometime next week i should know if it will work in my nova frame. if it does, i will post a picture or 2. all the measurements i've made indicate it will work. i may still have to use a relocator kit on the oil filter, but that is not hard to live with. i'll be sure to keep y'all posted. here is a pic of what its going to be powering.
                          Roy

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
                            Roy,

                            The 425 pu tube will work on the 472. Fyi - the 425 oil pump also
                            helps with filter clearance on some swaps.

                          • roybilt@wmconnect.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 19, 2005
                              thanks again Dave, i'll keep that in mind
                              Roy