Head I.D.

  • tremorj10
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2002
      Thanks to MTS for this head Q&A:
      Q:
      : Is the 950 head the only one without
      : the smog rail?

      A:
      It's the ony small chamber head w/o rail

      Q:
      : Is the Eldo the only car that has 950
      : heads?

      A:
      No- the heads can be found on 472's of 70 vintage also. However just
      because it's a 70 does not mean it will have 950 castings. 250's were
      used also.

      Q:
      : Does the presence of a smog rail mean
      : that holes are drilled into the
      : exhaust port?

      A:
      No- Some 70's vintage 250 castings have undrilled rails. Thats why
      it's easy to think they are 950 castings if you do not remove the
      valvecovers.

      Q:
      : When were the first hardened seats
      : put into Caddy heads?

      A:
      They were not used. Alloy was strong enough to not require.

      Q:
      : What is the first year holes were
      : drilled from the smog rail to the
      : exhaust port?

      A:
      1968 cars with A.I.R.
      :

      I think you will find that should you decide to purchase your project
      parts from MTS. I can fill in any "light" spots on the tech info you
      seek.