Distributor curve

  • tremorj10
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 1:32 AM
      Thanks to Smith29 for this distributor Q&A:

      : Do any of you guys use advance curve
      : kits? If so what kind of
      : configurations do you use and do
      : these kits really do anything? I
      : got the kit with the red blue and
      : white springs but havent installed
      : it yet. Whats the best combo to
      : use?
      :
      xxxx
      The trick is to see if you get the full advance by opening the
      counterweights by hand. use a protractor to see if you get as much as
      when you advance the arm the rotor attatches to.
      On the later years they made the weight fingers longer so they would
      bind and not give a full advance.

      If you set up initial for 8 deg. you should get 34 deg. at around
      3000 or less. Now if you don't you need to shorten the arms on the
      original weights or the kit weights. ( the arm is the part of the
      weight that contacts the shaft cam )
      Centrifical advance should equal 26 degrees if you have shortened
      the weight arms as I had to on my Mr. Gasket set as the weights
      were the same dimensions as the original ones. Use the new arms and
      the nylon bushings to prevent pivot pin wear.
      Set up initial with the factory springs and about 600 rpm.
      Then install the light springs and see if the advance at idle changed
      ( vacuum disconnected ). If it did install one heaver spring on one
      side only and check again. If it didn't advance on idle you are ready
      to see how much at what rpm you get.
      You have to adjust from there with spring tension.
      Make sure the adcance is free and easy with no springs on.
      They have a tendency to freeze up from rust. I used a thin oil to
      free mine up and it took several days to be real free.

      I assume you have the HEI distributer.
      Let me know if you have questions.
      I run absolute manifold vacuum for the vac. advance as it
      uses less fuel and runs cool in traffic that way. The ported
      vacuum was to pass emissions and does the engine no good.
      The late thin burn heats up the cat con and the manifolds to
      reduce emissions. Such a deal.........
      29