Re: Fuel Intake for 472

  • Tommy Pierson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7 7:11 AM
      In the second half of 1974, Cadillac started using the HEI ignition. I
      put one on my 73, it was real easy. Find an early Caddy HEI from the
      junkyard, snag the wire that goes to the distributor, and throw the
      old resistor wire away. I spliced mine into the pink wire under the
      steering column. Make sure you use the plug gap reccomendation for a
      1975. By then, all Cadillacs had the HEI.
      As far as the intake, the Edelbrock 2115 intake goes for about $250.00
      at Jegs, Summit, & can even be ordered through your local parts store.

      There are other intakes for racing, thike the Bulldog, but I think it
      has to be used with Bulldog heads.

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Geary"
      <ghare@m...> wrote:
      > I have a '74 with a 472. I'm looking for advise and sources for a
      > performance intake system. Also does someone know of a distributer
      > convert the engine to electronic ignition?
    • Geary
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7 1:06 PM
        Thanks a ton (or maybe my 3 tons thank you) for the advice. I'll
        see if I can locate the HEI ignition. Do you know whether the
        distributor for a 500cid would work with the 472 without
        modifications?

        I had located the 2115 Edelbrock and the Bulldog intakes. The
        problem with the 2115 is that I found a note at one site indicating
        there was a problem with the AC compressor location. I can see where
        that could be a problem with any aftermarket intake as the compressor
        practically sits on top of the intake manifold and the back side of
        it is not far from the front of the carburetor. So the next question
        is – is there an aftermarket bracket adaptor kit that will change
        the location of the AC compressor? I DO want to keep the AC because
        I live in South Texas and want to enjoy the car year round.

        What I was hoping for was a mid-high rise intake with a 2x4 set-up.
        But I wanted something that would still operate in a lower RPM range
        and be manageable when driving around town.
        Geary

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8 1:37 PM
          Tommy,

          > There are other intakes for racing, thike the Bulldog, but I think it
          > has to be used with Bulldog heads.

          They have a version that works with iron heads, in both 4150/60 and
          dominator flange. Not a good street intake though. Most apps require an
          epoxy fill. I have a 4150/60 flanged one done up as such, if you know
          anyone in need.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8 1:44 PM
            Geary,

            > Thanks a ton (or maybe my 3 tons thank you) for the advice. I'll
            > see if I can locate the HEI ignition. Do you know whether the
            > distributor for a 500cid would work with the 472 without
            > modifications?

            It will work fine, as would one from a later 425 [as long as it's a
            non-computer controlled version]. There may be some gain from
            tweaking the advance curve for your app though. Fyi - you can use the
            stock wire running to the point dist, but as someone else mentioned,
            it has a section of resister wire in it. Un-tape the harness to find
            and remove the section of resistor wire. You could also use the stock
            wire to energize a $5 relay to allow current direct from the battery.

            For a 2x4 intake: A 429/460 ford intake can be used with adapters and
            some cutting on the intake. It isn't cheap to do though. One with two
            500-600 vac secondary carbs should do pretty well on the street. I
            have a set of new never used CNC'd adapters, a cast vally cover and a
            ready to bolt on "blue thunder" 2x4 ford intake. $450 for all, if
            you're interested.

            Fyi - Flash is supposedly working on a bolt on 3x2 intake.
            Dave

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8 1:49 PM
              Tommy/Geary,

              There is a pic of the 4150/60 flanged BD intake in my photo album;
              Dave

              http://public.fotki.com/larouchedem/tttruck_project
              <http://public.fotki.com/larouchedem/tttruck_project>

              > There are other intakes for racing, thike the Bulldog, but I think it
              > has to be used with Bulldog heads.
            • William Lucke
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 14 3:09 PM
                Who is "Flash" for those of us who are a little behind?

                Will

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 15 4:02 PM
                  Hi Will,

                  I believe that he calls his company Flashcraft, but I can't remember
                  for sure. -mail me, and i'll send you likes to him, and other Caddy
                  performance related stuff. Anyone else that want the info too.
                  Dave

                  --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                  Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                  > Who is "Flash" for those of us who are a little behind?
                  >

                  > Will
                  >

                  > > From: "david brode" <dbrode@h...>
                  > >Subject: Re: Fuel Intake for 472
                  > >
                  > >Geary,
                  > >
                  > > > Thanks a ton (or maybe my 3 tons thank you) for the advice.
                  I'll
                  > > > see if I can locate the HEI ignition. Do you know whether the
                  > > > distributor for a 500cid would work with the 472 without
                  > > > modifications?
                  > >
                  > >It will work fine, as would one from a later 425 [as long as it's a
                  > >non-computer controlled version]. There may be some gain from
                  > >tweaking the advance curve for your app though. Fyi - you can use
                  the
                  > >stock wire running to the point dist, but as someone else
                  mentioned,
                  > >it has a section of resister wire in it. Un-tape the harness to
                  find
                  > >and remove the section of resistor wire. You could also use the
                  stock
                  > >wire to energize a $5 relay to allow current direct from the
                  battery.

                  > >For a 2x4 intake: A 429/460 ford intake can be used with adapters
                  and
                  > >some cutting on the intake. It isn't cheap to do though. One with
                  two
                  > >500-600 vac secondary carbs should do pretty well on the street. I
                  > >have a set of new never used CNC'd adapters, a cast vally cover
                  and a
                  > >ready to bolt on "blue thunder" 2x4 ford intake. $450 for all, if
                  > >you're interested.
                  > >
                  > >Fyi - Flash is supposedly working on a bolt on 3x2 intake.
                  > >Dave
                  >

                  > --
                  6/14/2005