Fuel Intake for 472

  • Geary
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
      I have a '74 with a 472. I'm looking for advise and sources for a
      performance intake system. Also does someone know of a distributer to
      convert the engine to electronic ignition?
    • Tommy Pierson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
        In the second half of 1974, Cadillac started using the HEI ignition. I
        put one on my 73, it was real easy. Find an early Caddy HEI from the
        junkyard, snag the wire that goes to the distributor, and throw the
        old resistor wire away. I spliced mine into the pink wire under the
        steering column. Make sure you use the plug gap reccomendation for a
        1975. By then, all Cadillacs had the HEI.
        As far as the intake, the Edelbrock 2115 intake goes for about $250.00
        at Jegs, Summit, & can even be ordered through your local parts store.

        There are other intakes for racing, thike the Bulldog, but I think it
        has to be used with Bulldog heads.

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Geary"
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2005
          Thanks a ton (or maybe my 3 tons thank you) for the advice. I'll
          see if I can locate the HEI ignition. Do you know whether the
          distributor for a 500cid would work with the 472 without
          modifications?

          I had located the 2115 Edelbrock and the Bulldog intakes. The
          problem with the 2115 is that I found a note at one site indicating
          there was a problem with the AC compressor location. I can see where
          that could be a problem with any aftermarket intake as the compressor
          practically sits on top of the intake manifold and the back side of
          it is not far from the front of the carburetor. So the next question
          is – is there an aftermarket bracket adaptor kit that will change
          the location of the AC compressor? I DO want to keep the AC because
          I live in South Texas and want to enjoy the car year round.

          What I was hoping for was a mid-high rise intake with a 2x4 set-up.
          But I wanted something that would still operate in a lower RPM range
          and be manageable when driving around town.
          Geary

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tommy

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
            Tommy,

            > There are other intakes for racing, thike the Bulldog, but I think it
            > has to be used with Bulldog heads.

            They have a version that works with iron heads, in both 4150/60 and
            dominator flange. Not a good street intake though. Most apps require an
            epoxy fill. I have a 4150/60 flanged one done up as such, if you know
            anyone in need.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
              Geary,

              > Thanks a ton (or maybe my 3 tons thank you) for the advice. I'll
              > see if I can locate the HEI ignition. Do you know whether the
              > distributor for a 500cid would work with the 472 without
              > modifications?

              It will work fine, as would one from a later 425 [as long as it's a
              non-computer controlled version]. There may be some gain from
              tweaking the advance curve for your app though. Fyi - you can use the
              stock wire running to the point dist, but as someone else mentioned,
              it has a section of resister wire in it. Un-tape the harness to find
              and remove the section of resistor wire. You could also use the stock
              wire to energize a $5 relay to allow current direct from the battery.

              For a 2x4 intake: A 429/460 ford intake can be used with adapters and
              some cutting on the intake. It isn't cheap to do though. One with two
              500-600 vac secondary carbs should do pretty well on the street. I
              have a set of new never used CNC'd adapters, a cast vally cover and a
              ready to bolt on "blue thunder" 2x4 ford intake. $450 for all, if
              you're interested.

              Fyi - Flash is supposedly working on a bolt on 3x2 intake.
              Dave

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
                Tommy/Geary,

                There is a pic of the 4150/60 flanged BD intake in my photo album;
                Dave

                http://public.fotki.com/larouchedem/tttruck_project
                <http://public.fotki.com/larouchedem/tttruck_project>

                > There are other intakes for racing, thike the Bulldog, but I think it
                > has to be used with Bulldog heads.
              • William Lucke
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 14, 2005
                  Who is "Flash" for those of us who are a little behind?

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 15, 2005
                    Hi Will,

                    I believe that he calls his company Flashcraft, but I can't remember
                    for sure. -mail me, and i'll send you likes to him, and other Caddy
                    performance related stuff. Anyone else that want the info too.
                    Dave

                    --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                    Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                    > Who is "Flash" for those of us who are a little behind?
                    >

                    > Will
                    >

                    > > From: "david brode" <dbrode@h...>
                    > >Subject: Re: Fuel Intake for 472
                    > >
                    > >Geary,
                    > >
                    > > > Thanks a ton (or maybe my 3 tons thank you) for the advice.
                    I'll
                    > > > see if I can locate the HEI ignition. Do you know whether the
                    > > > distributor for a 500cid would work with the 472 without
                    > > > modifications?
                    > >
                    > >It will work fine, as would one from a later 425 [as long as it's a
                    > >non-computer controlled version]. There may be some gain from
                    > >tweaking the advance curve for your app though. Fyi - you can use
                    the
                    > >stock wire running to the point dist, but as someone else
                    mentioned,
                    > >it has a section of resister wire in it. Un-tape the harness to
                    find
                    > >and remove the section of resistor wire. You could also use the
                    stock
                    > >wire to energize a $5 relay to allow current direct from the
                    battery.

                    > >For a 2x4 intake: A 429/460 ford intake can be used with adapters
                    and
                    > >some cutting on the intake. It isn't cheap to do though. One with
                    two
                    > >500-600 vac secondary carbs should do pretty well on the street. I
                    > >have a set of new never used CNC'd adapters, a cast vally cover
                    and a
                    > >ready to bolt on "blue thunder" 2x4 ford intake. $450 for all, if
                    > >you're interested.
                    > >
                    > >Fyi - Flash is supposedly working on a bolt on 3x2 intake.
                    > >Dave
                    >

                    > --
                    6/14/2005