4.9 Performance-Help!

  • cbxsage
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2005
      Hi Everybody,

      I have recently purchased a 94 Sedan DeVille with the 4.9 PFI 4t60.
      I would like to "bring it around" a bit. I am looking for some
      guidance here, as in tuning, intake and exhaust. Also, is there a
      way to improve the shifting of the 4T60 as-in a possible adjustment
      or maybe a cross platform shift solenoid that works better? I'm not
      looking to build a race car just want it to breathe right, get decent
      fire, and not be relegared to soft shifts. I also have an 83 Sedan
      DeVille 4.1, which is what has driven me to the lighter more
      aerodynamic 4.9 car in the 94. I have been blessed as it only has
      40k on it. I would like to realize maybe another 30 or so
      horsepower, if possible. I have been reading that the 4.9 seems to a
      popular swap into a Fiero, but I would like hear it from the Cadillac
      platform, this 94 makes my 7th Cad dating back to my first Coupe
      DeVille (I still kick myself for selling it, but I needed to make
      room for musclecars and street racing in the 70's) Pink/Wht 59.

      Any suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.

      Thanks
      Bill
    • Paul Angel
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2005
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "cbxsage"
        <cbxsage@h...> wrote:
        > Hi Everybody,
        >
        > I have recently purchased a 94 Sedan DeVille with the 4.9 PFI
        4t60.
        > I would like to "bring it around" a bit. I am looking for some
        > guidance here, as in tuning, intake and exhaust. Also, is there a
        > way to improve the shifting of the 4T60 as-in a possible adjustment
        > or maybe a cross platform shift solenoid that works better? I'm
        not
        > looking to build a race car just want it to breathe right, get
        decent
        > fire, and not be relegared to soft shifts. I also have an 83 Sedan
        > DeVille 4.1, which is what has driven me to the lighter more
        > aerodynamic 4.9 car in the 94. I have been blessed as it only has
        > 40k on it. I would like to realize maybe another 30 or so
        > horsepower, if possible. I have been reading that the 4.9 seems to
        > popular swap into a Fiero, but I would like hear it from the
        Cadillac
        > platform, this 94 makes my 7th Cad dating back to my first Coupe
        > DeVille (I still kick myself for selling it, but I needed to make
        > room for musclecars and street racing in the 70's) Pink/Wht 59.
        >
        > Any suggestions and guidance would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Bill
        ***************
        You can have cams custom ground for it; if headers are not available
        they can be custom fabbed too. I'm pretty sure (about 99%) that there
        are no aftermarket intakes. Here again custom fabrication will be
        nessasary. I've been looking into this since I have a Fiero & would
        like to do that conversion. I've decided that if I find a reasonable
        4.9/auto I'll be welding a small 4 bbl. intake flange to the stock
        aluminum intake to acheive the HP & torque I want. I did that on a
        Brat I have (changed from a 1 bbl. to a progressice Holley-Webber 2
        bbl.) & it made a *world* of difference!
        If you want to find more check the Fiero boards at Yahoo, Pennocks, &
        others.
        HTH,
        ~ Paul
        aka "Tha Driver"

      • William Lucke
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2005
          Allante intake manifold, if you can find one, is supposedly good for 20 HP,
          although I've never seen a dyno comparison showcasing this.
          John Lagler who runs www.fieroaddiction.com has done a 4.9 with ported
          heads, reground cam, valvetrain mods, and some other stuff and ran low 13's
          with it in a Fiero.

          Will