Re: Engine/drivetrain list

  • William Lucke
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 19 7:09 AM
      The transverse automatics have a chain drive from the pump to the
      transmission, then a planetary final.
      Transverse manuals have spur gear final drive
      Either way, they avoid the drivetrain loss of a hypoid bevel final drive.

      Which Ferarri body?
      Dino 246, Ferarri 308 and 328 were all transverse
      As was the Lamborghini Jalpa (and maybe the Miura, not sure), as well as
      the Cizeta Moroder V16T (transverse V16 based on two Lambo Urago V8's put
      together)
      And my Northstar Fiero with HM282 five speed. It ran 12's on the stock
      engine. It will be back on the road after performance build soon.
      I think that the transverse approach IS artful for the reasons I already
      mentioned... the transmission is simpler, smaller and lighter and more
      efficient. Mechanical art and elegant design.

      Will

      > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@...>
      >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
      >

      >--- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
      >Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
      > > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
      > > applications?
      > >
      > > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
      >drivetrain
      > > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
      > >

      > > Will
      >**********
      >Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
      >they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
      >case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to. I
      >don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a transverse
      >engine.
      >Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
      >~ Paul
      >aka "Tha Driver"
      >
      >Easy on the Giggle Cream!

    • Paul Angel
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 19 9:14 AM
        Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
        > The transverse automatics have a chain drive from the pump to the
        > transmission, then a planetary final.
        > Transverse manuals have spur gear final drive
        > Either way, they avoid the drivetrain loss of a hypoid bevel final
        drive.

        > Which Ferarri body?
        > Dino 246, Ferarri 308 and 328 were all transverse
        > As was the Lamborghini Jalpa (and maybe the Miura, not sure), as
        well as
        > the Cizeta Moroder V16T (transverse V16 based on two Lambo Urago
        V8's put
        > together)
        > And my Northstar Fiero with HM282 five speed. It ran 12's on the
        stock
        > engine. It will be back on the road after performance build soon.
        > I think that the transverse approach IS artful for the reasons I
        already
        > mentioned... the transmission is simpler, smaller and lighter and
        more
        > efficient. Mechanical art and elegant design.
        >

        > Will
        *************
        Really? Never noticed that. The guy I'm talking to has the 355
        Ferrari; They're longitudinal V8s, Right?
        But strickly as art, the tranverse setups just don't appeal to me.
        I'm very eccentric, you know. (I'm an artist :-D
        ~ Paul
        aka "Tha Driver"

        Easy on the Giggle Cream!

        > > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@y...>
        > >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
        > >

        > >--- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
        > >Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
        > > > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in
        these
        > > > applications?
        > > >
        > > > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
        > >drivetrain
        > > > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
        > > >

        > > > Will
        > >**********
        > >Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
        > >they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
        > >case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to.
        > >don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a
        transverse
        > >engine.
        > >Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
        > >~ Paul
        > >aka "Tha Driver"
        > >
        > >Easy on the Giggle Cream!
        >

        > --