Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: Engine/drivetrain list

  • joe4@DigArts.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
      > All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
      > seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine over
      > the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such as
      > Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can adapt
      > a small-block to it.

      Well, The way I see it, If you plop a THM425 into the back of a car you
      end up with a rear engined car, not a mid engined car. If I jack up my
      Mazdaillac just in front of a rear wheel it lifts the whole side. The output
      shaft goes right under the second main bearing, so you have a little more
      than half the engine, all the transmission and most of the diff behind the
      axle. You can angle the axle shafts back as much as 25° (assuming you don't
      want rear steering :-) but I don't think you will actually get much of the
      weight onto the front axle. All this is mute if space constraints keep the
      engine pretty much over the axle.

      > As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several projects.
      > One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
      > work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
      > using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
      > have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a V8
      > longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
      > can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
      > Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic (in
      > which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
      > bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal V8).
      > I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
      > that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's just
      > in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car, &
      > am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
      > him.
      > Thanks,

      Well, geez, if you're just talking small blocks then torque shouldn't be
      a big problem. If you have room for putting the engine in front of the axle
      (I've never taken a close look at a fiero engine compartment, but I know
      people like the transverse caddy setups for them, so it must be small) then you could think
      about the transaxle from the back of a modern corvette, you could look at
      late '90s mopars (I don't know that there is a manual, but there is a
      chance, and it is a strange enough setup it's just fun to look at) There
      were kits to put V8s in corvairs that used the stock trans, just rotated
      180° (I don't know how that works out direction-wise; they may have had to
      make the engine run backwards, or something...) and you can always just put
      a diff on a RWD trans where the tailshaft used to be...

      I kinda think space will be the biggest problem, so it may be time for a
      trip to the junkyard with your trusty tape measure.

      ...I just thought of the subarus. the center and front diffs are in the
      trans case, so if you fix the center diff it should do what you want. The
      stock engine has been known to break the stock trans, but there is a place
      that makes stronger gears for only ~$2500. Then if you ever wanted to add
      another axle and have a 4X6 it'd be easy. [*Smile*] ...you could do the
      same thing with other 4WD/AWD setups, and it would give you some flexabilty,
      the tradoff is moving the engine weight higher.

      ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+ ft/lbs
      and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200 pound
      vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...

      > ~ Paul
      > aka "Tha Driver"

      > Easy on the Giggle Cream!

      Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
    • Paul Angel
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
        Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
        > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
        > applications?
        >
        > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
        drivetrain
        > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
        >

        > Will
        **********
        Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
        they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
        case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to. I
        don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a transverse
        engine.
        Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
        ~ Paul
        aka "Tha Driver"

        Easy on the Giggle Cream!

        > > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@y...>
        > >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
        >
        > >All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
        > >seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine
        over
        > >the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such
        as
        > >Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can
        adapt
        > >a small-block to it.
        > >As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several
        projects.
        > >One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
        > >work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
        > >using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
        > >have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a
        V8
        > >longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
        > >can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
        > >Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic
        (in
        > >which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
        > >bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal
        V8).
        > >I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
        > >that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's
        just
        > >in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car,
        &
        > >am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
        > >him.
        > >Thanks,
        > >~ Paul
        > >aka "Tha Driver"
        > >
        > >Easy on the Giggle Cream!
        >

        > --
        4/16/2005
      • Preston III
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
          LOL, you don't need 700 horsepower to smoke the front
          wheels in a FWD car! I've got a 65 horsepower '84
          Ford Escort that will SMOKE the tires! And it'll turn
          6000 RPM.

          LOL, gotta love that weight transfer OFF the front
          tires during acceleration and cornering!

          Preston III

          --- joe4@... wrote:
          > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad
          > engine with 700+ ft/lbs
          > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun
          > to drive a 5200 pound
          > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...

          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

          When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me."

          Preston, Tim, or Mr Bond. . . . They're all me!

        • Paul Angel
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, joe4@D...
            wrote:

            > > All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
            > > seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine
            over
            > > the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics
            such as
            > > Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can
            adapt
            > > a small-block to it.
            > *****
            > Well, The way I see it, If you plop a THM425 into the back of a
            car you
            > end up with a rear engined car, not a mid engined car.
            ***************
            Yeah, it's kinda a mid-rear engine car. I consider a rear engine car
            to have the entire engine behind the transmission, like Porsche &
            Corvair.

> [...]
            small) then you could think
            > about the transaxle from the back of a modern corvette, you could
            look at
            > late '90s mopars (I don't know that there is a manual, but there is
            > chance, and it is a strange enough setup it's just fun to look at)
            There
            > were kits to put V8s in corvairs that used the stock trans, just
            rotated
            > 180° (I don't know how that works out direction-wise; they may have
            had to
            > make the engine run backwards, or something...) and you can always
            just put
            > a diff on a RWD trans where the tailshaft used to be...
            >
            > I kinda think space will be the biggest problem, so it may be
            time for a
            > trip to the junkyard with your trusty tape measure.
            *************
            Yeah; nothing fits that has the engine in front of the drive axle (in
            either car). I don't think a 36" stretched Fiero with a 33" stretched
            Ferrari body is what I'm looking for.

            > ...I just thought of the subarus. the center and front diffs
            are in the
            > trans case, so if you fix the center diff it should do what you
            want. The
            > stock engine has been known to break the stock trans, but there is
            a place
            > that makes stronger gears for only ~$2500.
            **********
            My entire budget for the drivetrain will be far less than that. I'm
            an artist, & a poor one at that.

            Then if you ever wanted to add
            > another axle and have a 4X6 it'd be easy. [*Smile*] ...you could
            do the
            > same thing with other 4WD/AWD setups, and it would give you some
            flexabilty,
            > the tradoff is moving the engine weight higher.
            >
            > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+
            ft/lbs
            > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200
            pound
            > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
            ***************
            Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
            a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied car,
            but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as well.
            None of these will be FWD.
            On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW baja
            bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running gear
            reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive shafts,
            so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down. BTW
            when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you reverse
            the side the ring gear is on.

            > > ~ Paul
            > > aka "Tha Driver"
            >
            > > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
            >

            > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
          • John Brody
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
              FYI FWD Audis from the early 80's on were front engine, front-drive
              with (I believe) a longitudinal transmission that came in a manual.
              Move the entire drive-train to the back of a car and you've got a
              sweet mid-engine rear-drive manual setup. I believe I have seen
              websites where people adapted other engines to the Audi trans and
              beefed up the internals, but I don't remember where right now. That
              would save you the trouble of having to deal with fixing the center
              diff of a 4WD Subaru -- although the Audis did come in 4WD as well,
              they also came in 2WD.

              John

              On 4/18/05, Paul Angel <imthadriver@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >
              > > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+
              > ft/lbs
              > > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200
              > pound
              > > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
              > ***************
              > Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
              > a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied car,
              > but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as well.
              > None of these will be FWD.
              > On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW baja
              > bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running gear
              > reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive shafts,
              > so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down. BTW
              > when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you reverse

            • Paul Angel
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, John Brody
                <jbrody@g...> wrote:
                > FYI FWD Audis from the early 80's on were front engine, front-drive
                > with (I believe) a longitudinal transmission that came in a manual.
                > Move the entire drive-train to the back of a car and you've got a
                > sweet mid-engine rear-drive manual setup. I believe I have seen
                > websites where people adapted other engines to the Audi trans and
                > beefed up the internals, but I don't remember where right now. That
                > would save you the trouble of having to deal with fixing the center
                > diff of a 4WD Subaru -- although the Audis did come in 4WD as well,
                > they also came in 2WD.
                >
                > John
                ****************
                Haven't been able to find a reasonably priced Audi transaxle. I think
                I could use that in the VW Cabriolet, though; but I don't think there
                is enough room in the Fiero. The Audi parts seem to be gold...
                ~ Paul
                aka "Tha Driver"

> [...]
                > > pound
                > > > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
                > > ***************
                > > Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
                > > a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied
                car,
                > > but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as
                well.
                > > None of these will be FWD.
                > > On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW
                baja
                > > bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running
                gear
                > > reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive
                shafts,
                > > so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down.
                BTW
                > > when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you

                Service.
              • William Lucke
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 19, 2005
                  The transverse automatics have a chain drive from the pump to the
                  transmission, then a planetary final.
                  Transverse manuals have spur gear final drive
                  Either way, they avoid the drivetrain loss of a hypoid bevel final drive.

                  Which Ferarri body?
                  Dino 246, Ferarri 308 and 328 were all transverse
                  As was the Lamborghini Jalpa (and maybe the Miura, not sure), as well as
                  the Cizeta Moroder V16T (transverse V16 based on two Lambo Urago V8's put
                  together)
                  And my Northstar Fiero with HM282 five speed. It ran 12's on the stock
                  engine. It will be back on the road after performance build soon.
                  I think that the transverse approach IS artful for the reasons I already
                  mentioned... the transmission is simpler, smaller and lighter and more
                  efficient. Mechanical art and elegant design.

                  Will

                  > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@...>
                  >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
                  >

                  >--- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                  >Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                  > > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
                  > > applications?
                  > >
                  > > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
                  >drivetrain
                  > > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
                  > >

                  > > Will
                  >**********
                  >Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
                  >they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
                  >case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to. I
                  >don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a transverse
                  >engine.
                  >Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
                  >~ Paul
                  >aka "Tha Driver"
                  >
                  >Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                • Paul Angel
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 19, 2005
                    Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                    > The transverse automatics have a chain drive from the pump to the
                    > transmission, then a planetary final.
                    > Transverse manuals have spur gear final drive
                    > Either way, they avoid the drivetrain loss of a hypoid bevel final
                    drive.

                    > Which Ferarri body?
                    > Dino 246, Ferarri 308 and 328 were all transverse
                    > As was the Lamborghini Jalpa (and maybe the Miura, not sure), as
                    well as
                    > the Cizeta Moroder V16T (transverse V16 based on two Lambo Urago
                    V8's put
                    > together)
                    > And my Northstar Fiero with HM282 five speed. It ran 12's on the
                    stock
                    > engine. It will be back on the road after performance build soon.
                    > I think that the transverse approach IS artful for the reasons I
                    already
                    > mentioned... the transmission is simpler, smaller and lighter and
                    more
                    > efficient. Mechanical art and elegant design.
                    >

                    > Will
                    *************
                    Really? Never noticed that. The guy I'm talking to has the 355
                    Ferrari; They're longitudinal V8s, Right?
                    But strickly as art, the tranverse setups just don't appeal to me.
                    I'm very eccentric, you know. (I'm an artist :-D
                    ~ Paul
                    aka "Tha Driver"

                    Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                    > > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@y...>
                    > >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
                    > >

                    > >--- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                    > >Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                    > > > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in
                    these
                    > > > applications?
                    > > >
                    > > > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
                    > >drivetrain
                    > > > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
                    > > >

                    > > > Will
                    > >**********
                    > >Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
                    > >they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
                    > >case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to.
                    > >don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a
                    transverse
                    > >engine.
                    > >Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
                    > >~ Paul
                    > >aka "Tha Driver"
                    > >
                    > >Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                    >

                    > --