Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Engine/drivetrain list

  • Tom McKenna
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
      You can buy copies of the older Hollanders on Ebay - they are called "Classic Search" Versions and are put out by Hollander -  they cover specific years - I have a 1946 -1956 edition and I use it all the time - they do not cover every piece, but most of the main stuff and are well worth the $50-$60 investment - mine has paid for iltself many times over the years I have had it.

      Check Ebay under "Hollander" - I think the fellow I got mine from is still selling them there - He was based in Michigan and great to deal with - unfortunately I have misplaced his particulars.

      Tom

      what you need is a Hollander Interchange manual

    • Paul Angel
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tom
        McKenna" <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
        > You can buy copies of the older Hollanders on Ebay - they are
        called
        > Classic Search" Versions and are put out by Hollander - they cover
        specific
        > years - I have a 1946 -1956 edition and I use it all the time -
        they do not
        > cover every piece, but most of the main stuff and are well worth
        the $50-$60
        > investment - mine has paid for iltself many times over the years I
        have had
        > it.
        >
        > Check Ebay under "Hollander" - I think the fellow I got mine from
        is still
        > selling them there - He was based in Michigan and great to deal
        with -
        > unfortunately I have misplaced his particulars.
        >
        > Tom
        **************
        Thanks,
        Do they say specificly if - for instance - a FWD car is transverse or
        longitudinal? This is very important as I'm searching for drivetrains
        for a variety of cars/combinations (checking on different
        possibilities for my projects).
        ~ Paul
        aka "Tha Driver"

      • joe4@DigArts.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
          Before '67 RWD

          '67-'78 eldo FWD THM425 longitudal trans Cad engine of the year
          (472-500-425)

          '79-'85 eldo, '80-85 seville FWD THM325 3 or 4 speed longitudal trans
          various engines (Olds 350, 350 Desiel, buick V6?, cad 368, 4.1L)

          After that FWD was transverse with the THM440 or 4T80E and cad engine of
          the year (4.1L?, 4.5L, 4.9L, 4.6Northstar)

          ...don't know the caviler and opel based cadillacs....

          On 17-Apr-05, Paul Angel wrote:

          > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tom
          > McKenna" <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
          >> You can buy copies of the older Hollanders on Ebay - they are
          > called
          >> Classic Search" Versions and are put out by Hollander - they cover
          > specific
          >> years - I have a 1946 -1956 edition and I use it all the time -
          > they do not
          >> cover every piece, but most of the main stuff and are well worth
          > the $50-$60
          >> investment - mine has paid for iltself many times over the years I
          > have had
          >> it.
          >>
          >> Check Ebay under "Hollander" - I think the fellow I got mine from
          > is still
          >> selling them there - He was based in Michigan and great to deal
          > with -
          >> unfortunately I have misplaced his particulars.
          >>
          >> Tom
          > **************
          > Thanks,
          > Do they say specificly if - for instance - a FWD car is transverse or
          > longitudinal? This is very important as I'm searching for drivetrains
          > for a variety of cars/combinations (checking on different
          > possibilities for my projects).
          > ~ Paul
          > aka "Tha Driver"

          > Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

          Regards
          --

          Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
        • Tom McKenna
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
            Not sure on that question, as my book only goes to 1956 - If I can remember, I will check the new editions out at my chum's wrecking yard and let you know.

            Tom

             ,
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, joe4@D...
              wrote:

              > Before '67 RWD
              >
              > '67-'78 eldo FWD THM425 longitudal trans Cad engine of the year
              > (472-500-425)
              >
              > '79-'85 eldo, '80-85 seville FWD THM325 3 or 4 speed longitudal
              trans
              > various engines (Olds 350, 350 Desiel, buick V6?, cad 368, 4.1L)
              >
              > After that FWD was transverse with the THM440 or 4T80E and cad
              engine of
              > the year (4.1L?, 4.5L, 4.9L, 4.6Northstar)
              >
              > ...don't know the caviler and opel based cadillacs....
              *************
              Thanks Joe (& others),
              That's the jist of what I need. I can now check cars as I find them
              for year, engine size, etc.
              One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)
              longitudinal trans in the FWD Caddies?
              Thanks again,
              ~ Paul
              aka "Tha Driver"

              Easy on the Giggle Cream!

            • joe4@DigArts.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                As far as I know there is no manual counterpart to the THM425. That's
                the trans that makes all this fun. Stock they can handle more than 500ft/lbs
                of torque, and the whole package is still small enough to be stuffed into,
                say, the back seat of a yugo (or in my project, the back of a mazda pickup)

                This really isn't the drivetrain I'd pick for a small nimble fussy
                sports car. For that you want something small and light that can make power
                by spinning fast. A Cad 500 (or Olds 455) and THM425 combo is getting close
                to half a ton. But they are reliable and cheap and can make big torque while
                getting decent milage. So put it in something that wants to do wheelies. You
                don't want to bother shifting when the front end is up in the air, anyway.

                Really it shouldn't be too hard to set up a THM425 for full manual
                control, if it would feel better for you.

                ...if you are not thinking big torque you might find something in a late
                90's mopar. And there's always the rear engined sports cars.

                Good Luck!

                > One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)
                > longitudinal trans in the FWD Caddies?
                > Thanks again,
                > ~ Paul
                > aka "Tha Driver"

                > Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
              • Paul Angel
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > As far as I know there is no manual counterpart to the THM425.
                  That's
                  > the trans that makes all this fun. Stock they can handle more than
                  500ft/lbs
                  > of torque, and the whole package is still small enough to be
                  stuffed into,
                  > say, the back seat of a yugo (or in my project, the back of a mazda
                  pickup)

                  > This really isn't the drivetrain I'd pick for a small nimble
                  fussy
                  > sports car. For that you want something small and light that can
                  make power
                  > by spinning fast. A Cad 500 (or Olds 455) and THM425 combo is
                  getting close
                  > to half a ton. But they are reliable and cheap and can make big
                  torque while
                  > getting decent milage. So put it in something that wants to do
                  wheelies. You
                  > don't want to bother shifting when the front end is up in the air,
                  anyway.

                  > Really it shouldn't be too hard to set up a THM425 for full
                  manual
                  > control, if it would feel better for you.
                  >
                  > ...if you are not thinking big torque you might find something
                  in a late
                  > 90's mopar. And there's always the rear engined sports cars.
                  >
                  > Good Luck!
                  ****************
                  All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                  seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine over
                  the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such as
                  Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can adapt
                  a small-block to it.
                  As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several projects.
                  One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
                  work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
                  using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
                  have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a V8
                  longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
                  can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
                  Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic (in
                  which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                  bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal V8).
                  I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                  that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's just
                  in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car, &
                  am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                  him.
                  Thanks,
                  ~ Paul
                  aka "Tha Driver"

                  Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                  > > One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)
                  > > longitudinal trans in the FWD Caddies?
                  > > Thanks again,
                  > > ~ Paul
                  > > aka "Tha Driver"
                  >
                  > > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                  >
                  > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
                • RGermain
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                    Maybe someplace like Advance adapters has what you need???

                    ****************
                    All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                    seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine over
                    the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such as
                    Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can adapt
                    a small-block to it.
                    As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several projects.
                    One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
                    work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
                    using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
                    have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a V8
                    longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
                    can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
                    Also,  some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic (in
                    which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                    bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal V8).
                    I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                    that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's just
                    in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car, &
                    am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                    him.
                    Thanks,
                    ~ Paul
                    aka "Tha Driver"

                    Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                    > > One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)
                    > > longitudinal trans in the FWD Caddies?
                    > > Thanks again,
                    > > ~ Paul
                    > > aka "Tha Driver"
                    >
                    > > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                    >
                    > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz

                  • Paul Angel
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, RGermain
                      <rich_germain@y...> wrote:
                      > Maybe someplace like Advance adapters has what you need???
                      ***********
                      Adaptors are not a problem. You can find most anything, & if not I
                      can make one (or have it made if need be).
                      The problem is finding a transaxle I can use with very little
                      money. :-p Thus the reason for determining every possibility &
                      option in order to keep an eye out for the right car/deal.
                      And of course finding the manual trans that fits longitudinaly in a
                      tight space - that's the biggest challenge.
                      ~ Paul
                      aka "Tha Driver"

> [...]
                      > Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic
                      (in
                      > which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                      > bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal
                      V8).
                      > I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                      > that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's
                      just
                      > in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car,
                      &
                      > am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                      > him.
                      > Thanks,
                      > ~ Paul
                      > aka "Tha Driver"
                      >
                      > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                      >

                      > > > One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)

                    • William Lucke
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                        Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
                        applications?

                        Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less drivetrain
                        loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).

                        Will

                      • joe4@DigArts.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                          > All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                          > seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine over
                          > the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such as
                          > Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can adapt
                          > a small-block to it.

                          Well, The way I see it, If you plop a THM425 into the back of a car you
                          end up with a rear engined car, not a mid engined car. If I jack up my
                          Mazdaillac just in front of a rear wheel it lifts the whole side. The output
                          shaft goes right under the second main bearing, so you have a little more
                          than half the engine, all the transmission and most of the diff behind the
                          axle. You can angle the axle shafts back as much as 25° (assuming you don't
                          want rear steering :-) but I don't think you will actually get much of the
                          weight onto the front axle. All this is mute if space constraints keep the
                          engine pretty much over the axle.

                          > As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several projects.
                          > One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
                          > work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
                          > using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
                          > have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a V8
                          > longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
                          > can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
                          > Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic (in
                          > which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                          > bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal V8).
                          > I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                          > that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's just
                          > in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car, &
                          > am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                          > him.
                          > Thanks,

                          Well, geez, if you're just talking small blocks then torque shouldn't be
                          a big problem. If you have room for putting the engine in front of the axle
                          (I've never taken a close look at a fiero engine compartment, but I know
                          people like the transverse caddy setups for them, so it must be small) then you could think
                          about the transaxle from the back of a modern corvette, you could look at
                          late '90s mopars (I don't know that there is a manual, but there is a
                          chance, and it is a strange enough setup it's just fun to look at) There
                          were kits to put V8s in corvairs that used the stock trans, just rotated
                          180° (I don't know how that works out direction-wise; they may have had to
                          make the engine run backwards, or something...) and you can always just put
                          a diff on a RWD trans where the tailshaft used to be...

                          I kinda think space will be the biggest problem, so it may be time for a
                          trip to the junkyard with your trusty tape measure.

                          ...I just thought of the subarus. the center and front diffs are in the
                          trans case, so if you fix the center diff it should do what you want. The
                          stock engine has been known to break the stock trans, but there is a place
                          that makes stronger gears for only ~$2500. Then if you ever wanted to add
                          another axle and have a 4X6 it'd be easy. [*Smile*] ...you could do the
                          same thing with other 4WD/AWD setups, and it would give you some flexabilty,
                          the tradoff is moving the engine weight higher.

                          ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+ ft/lbs
                          and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200 pound
                          vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...

                          > ~ Paul
                          > aka "Tha Driver"

                          > Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                          Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
                        • Paul Angel
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                            Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                            > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
                            > applications?
                            >
                            > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
                            drivetrain
                            > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
                            >

                            > Will
                            **********
                            Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
                            they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
                            case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to. I
                            don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a transverse
                            engine.
                            Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
                            ~ Paul
                            aka "Tha Driver"

                            Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                            > > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@y...>
                            > >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
                            >
                            > >All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                            > >seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine
                            over
                            > >the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such
                            as
                            > >Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can
                            adapt
                            > >a small-block to it.
                            > >As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several
                            projects.
                            > >One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
                            > >work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
                            > >using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
                            > >have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a
                            V8
                            > >longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
                            > >can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
                            > >Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic
                            (in
                            > >which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                            > >bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal
                            V8).
                            > >I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                            > >that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's
                            just
                            > >in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car,
                            &
                            > >am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                            > >him.
                            > >Thanks,
                            > >~ Paul
                            > >aka "Tha Driver"
                            > >
                            > >Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                            >

                            > --
                            4/16/2005
                          • Preston III
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                              LOL, you don't need 700 horsepower to smoke the front
                              wheels in a FWD car! I've got a 65 horsepower '84
                              Ford Escort that will SMOKE the tires! And it'll turn
                              6000 RPM.

                              LOL, gotta love that weight transfer OFF the front
                              tires during acceleration and cornering!

                              Preston III

                              --- joe4@... wrote:
                              > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad
                              > engine with 700+ ft/lbs
                              > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun
                              > to drive a 5200 pound
                              > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...

                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

                              When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me."

                              Preston, Tim, or Mr Bond. . . . They're all me!

                            • Paul Angel
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                                wrote:

                                > > All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                                > > seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine
                                over
                                > > the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics
                                such as
                                > > Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can
                                adapt
                                > > a small-block to it.
                                > *****
                                > Well, The way I see it, If you plop a THM425 into the back of a
                                car you
                                > end up with a rear engined car, not a mid engined car.
                                ***************
                                Yeah, it's kinda a mid-rear engine car. I consider a rear engine car
                                to have the entire engine behind the transmission, like Porsche &
                                Corvair.

> [...]
                                small) then you could think
                                > about the transaxle from the back of a modern corvette, you could
                                look at
                                > late '90s mopars (I don't know that there is a manual, but there is
                                > chance, and it is a strange enough setup it's just fun to look at)
                                There
                                > were kits to put V8s in corvairs that used the stock trans, just
                                rotated
                                > 180° (I don't know how that works out direction-wise; they may have
                                had to
                                > make the engine run backwards, or something...) and you can always
                                just put
                                > a diff on a RWD trans where the tailshaft used to be...
                                >
                                > I kinda think space will be the biggest problem, so it may be
                                time for a
                                > trip to the junkyard with your trusty tape measure.
                                Yeah; nothing fits that has the engine in front of the drive axle (in
                                either car). I don't think a 36" stretched Fiero with a 33" stretched
                                Ferrari body is what I'm looking for.

                                > ...I just thought of the subarus. the center and front diffs
                                are in the
                                > trans case, so if you fix the center diff it should do what you
                                want. The
                                > stock engine has been known to break the stock trans, but there is
                                a place
                                > that makes stronger gears for only ~$2500.
                                **********
                                My entire budget for the drivetrain will be far less than that. I'm
                                an artist, & a poor one at that.

                                Then if you ever wanted to add
                                > another axle and have a 4X6 it'd be easy. [*Smile*] ...you could
                                do the
                                > same thing with other 4WD/AWD setups, and it would give you some
                                flexabilty,
                                > the tradoff is moving the engine weight higher.
                                >
                                > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+
                                ft/lbs
                                > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200
                                pound
                                > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
                                ***************
                                Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
                                a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied car,
                                but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as well.
                                None of these will be FWD.
                                On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW baja
                                bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running gear
                                reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive shafts,
                                so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down. BTW
                                when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you reverse
                                the side the ring gear is on.

                                > > ~ Paul
                                > > aka "Tha Driver"
                                >
                                > > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                                >

                                > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
                              • John Brody
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                                  FYI FWD Audis from the early 80's on were front engine, front-drive
                                  with (I believe) a longitudinal transmission that came in a manual.
                                  Move the entire drive-train to the back of a car and you've got a
                                  sweet mid-engine rear-drive manual setup. I believe I have seen
                                  websites where people adapted other engines to the Audi trans and
                                  beefed up the internals, but I don't remember where right now. That
                                  would save you the trouble of having to deal with fixing the center
                                  diff of a 4WD Subaru -- although the Audis did come in 4WD as well,
                                  they also came in 2WD.

                                  John

                                  On 4/18/05, Paul Angel <imthadriver@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                  > >
                                  > > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+
                                  > ft/lbs
                                  > > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200
                                  > pound
                                  > > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
                                  > ***************
                                  > Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
                                  > a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied car,
                                  > but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as well.
                                  > None of these will be FWD.
                                  > On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW baja
                                  > bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running gear
                                  > reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive shafts,
                                  > so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down. BTW
                                  > when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you reverse

                                • Paul Angel
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                                    --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, John Brody
                                    <jbrody@g...> wrote:
                                    > FYI FWD Audis from the early 80's on were front engine, front-drive
                                    > with (I believe) a longitudinal transmission that came in a manual.
                                    > Move the entire drive-train to the back of a car and you've got a
                                    > sweet mid-engine rear-drive manual setup. I believe I have seen
                                    > websites where people adapted other engines to the Audi trans and
                                    > beefed up the internals, but I don't remember where right now. That
                                    > would save you the trouble of having to deal with fixing the center
                                    > diff of a 4WD Subaru -- although the Audis did come in 4WD as well,
                                    > they also came in 2WD.
                                    >
                                    > John
                                    ****************
                                    Haven't been able to find a reasonably priced Audi transaxle. I think
                                    I could use that in the VW Cabriolet, though; but I don't think there
                                    is enough room in the Fiero. The Audi parts seem to be gold...
                                    ~ Paul
                                    aka "Tha Driver"

> [...]
                                    > > pound
                                    > > > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
                                    > > ***************
                                    > > Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
                                    > > a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied
                                    car,
                                    > > but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as
                                    well.
                                    > > None of these will be FWD.
                                    > > On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW
                                    baja
                                    > > bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running
                                    gear
                                    > > reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive
                                    shafts,
                                    > > so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down.
                                    BTW
                                    > > when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you

                                    Service.
                                  • William Lucke
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 19, 2005
                                      The transverse automatics have a chain drive from the pump to the
                                      transmission, then a planetary final.
                                      Transverse manuals have spur gear final drive
                                      Either way, they avoid the drivetrain loss of a hypoid bevel final drive.

                                      Which Ferarri body?
                                      Dino 246, Ferarri 308 and 328 were all transverse
                                      As was the Lamborghini Jalpa (and maybe the Miura, not sure), as well as
                                      the Cizeta Moroder V16T (transverse V16 based on two Lambo Urago V8's put
                                      together)
                                      And my Northstar Fiero with HM282 five speed. It ran 12's on the stock
                                      engine. It will be back on the road after performance build soon.
                                      I think that the transverse approach IS artful for the reasons I already
                                      mentioned... the transmission is simpler, smaller and lighter and more
                                      efficient. Mechanical art and elegant design.

                                      Will

                                      > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@...>
                                      >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
                                      >

                                      >--- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                                      >Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                                      > > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
                                      > > applications?
                                      > >
                                      > > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
                                      >drivetrain
                                      > > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
                                      > >

                                      > > Will
                                      >**********
                                      >Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
                                      >they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
                                      >case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to. I
                                      >don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a transverse
                                      >engine.
                                      >Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
                                      >~ Paul
                                      >aka "Tha Driver"
                                      >
                                      >Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                                    • Paul Angel
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 19, 2005
                                        Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                                        > The transverse automatics have a chain drive from the pump to the
                                        > transmission, then a planetary final.
                                        > Transverse manuals have spur gear final drive
                                        > Either way, they avoid the drivetrain loss of a hypoid bevel final
                                        drive.

                                        > Which Ferarri body?
                                        > Dino 246, Ferarri 308 and 328 were all transverse
                                        > As was the Lamborghini Jalpa (and maybe the Miura, not sure), as
                                        well as
                                        > the Cizeta Moroder V16T (transverse V16 based on two Lambo Urago
                                        V8's put
                                        > together)
                                        > And my Northstar Fiero with HM282 five speed. It ran 12's on the
                                        stock
                                        > engine. It will be back on the road after performance build soon.
                                        > I think that the transverse approach IS artful for the reasons I
                                        already
                                        > mentioned... the transmission is simpler, smaller and lighter and
                                        more
                                        > efficient. Mechanical art and elegant design.
                                        >

                                        > Will
                                        *************
                                        Really? Never noticed that. The guy I'm talking to has the 355
                                        Ferrari; They're longitudinal V8s, Right?
                                        But strickly as art, the tranverse setups just don't appeal to me.
                                        I'm very eccentric, you know. (I'm an artist :-D
                                        ~ Paul
                                        aka "Tha Driver"

                                        Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                                        > > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@y...>
                                        > >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
                                        > >

                                        > >--- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                                        > >Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                                        > > > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in
                                        these
                                        > > > applications?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
                                        > >drivetrain
                                        > > > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
                                        > > >

                                        > > > Will
                                        > >**********
                                        > >Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
                                        > >they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
                                        > >case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to.
                                        > >don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a
                                        transverse
                                        > >engine.
                                        > >Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
                                        > >~ Paul
                                        > >aka "Tha Driver"
                                        > >
                                        > >Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                                        >

                                        > --