Engine/drivetrain list

  • Paul Angel
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
      Hi Everyone - first time here! :-)
      I'm looking for a definative list of the drivetrains found in
      Cadillacs. In other words, what engines/trans in what years; which are
      rear-wheel drive & which are front-wheel drive; which FWDs are
      transverse & which are longitudinal, what other cars used the same
      components (Tornado?), etc.
      Anyone have any links to something like that?
      TIA,
      ~ Paul
      aka "Tha Driver"

    • RGermain

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
          You can buy copies of the older Hollanders on Ebay - they are called "Classic Search" Versions and are put out by Hollander -  they cover specific years - I have a 1946 -1956 edition and I use it all the time - they do not cover every piece, but most of the main stuff and are well worth the $50-$60 investment - mine has paid for iltself many times over the years I have had it.

          Check Ebay under "Hollander" - I think the fellow I got mine from is still selling them there - He was based in Michigan and great to deal with - unfortunately I have misplaced his particulars.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tom
            McKenna" <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
            > You can buy copies of the older Hollanders on Ebay - they are
            called
            > Classic Search" Versions and are put out by Hollander - they cover
            specific
            > years - I have a 1946 -1956 edition and I use it all the time -
            they do not
            > cover every piece, but most of the main stuff and are well worth
            the $50-$60
            > investment - mine has paid for iltself many times over the years I
            have had
            > it.
            >
            > Check Ebay under "Hollander" - I think the fellow I got mine from
            is still
            > selling them there - He was based in Michigan and great to deal
            with -
            > unfortunately I have misplaced his particulars.
            >
            > Tom
            **************
            Thanks,
            Do they say specificly if - for instance - a FWD car is transverse or
            longitudinal? This is very important as I'm searching for drivetrains
            for a variety of cars/combinations (checking on different
            possibilities for my projects).
            ~ Paul
            aka "Tha Driver"

          • joe4@DigArts.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
              Before '67 RWD

              '67-'78 eldo FWD THM425 longitudal trans Cad engine of the year
              (472-500-425)

              '79-'85 eldo, '80-85 seville FWD THM325 3 or 4 speed longitudal trans
              various engines (Olds 350, 350 Desiel, buick V6?, cad 368, 4.1L)

              After that FWD was transverse with the THM440 or 4T80E and cad engine of
              the year (4.1L?, 4.5L, 4.9L, 4.6Northstar)

              ...don't know the caviler and opel based cadillacs....

              On 17-Apr-05, Paul Angel wrote:

              > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tom
              > McKenna" <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
              >> You can buy copies of the older Hollanders on Ebay - they are
              > called
              >> Classic Search" Versions and are put out by Hollander - they cover
              > specific
              >> years - I have a 1946 -1956 edition and I use it all the time -
              > they do not
              >> cover every piece, but most of the main stuff and are well worth
              > the $50-$60
              >> investment - mine has paid for iltself many times over the years I
              > have had
              >> it.
              >>
              >> Check Ebay under "Hollander" - I think the fellow I got mine from
              > is still
              >> selling them there - He was based in Michigan and great to deal
              > with -
              >> unfortunately I have misplaced his particulars.
              >>
              >> Tom
              > **************
              > Thanks,
              > Do they say specificly if - for instance - a FWD car is transverse or
              > longitudinal? This is very important as I'm searching for drivetrains
              > for a variety of cars/combinations (checking on different
              > possibilities for my projects).
              > ~ Paul
              > aka "Tha Driver"

              > Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

              Regards
              --

              Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
            • Tom McKenna
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                Not sure on that question, as my book only goes to 1956 - If I can remember, I will check the new editions out at my chum's wrecking yard and let you know.

                Tom

                 ,
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                  --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, joe4@D...
                  wrote:

                  > Before '67 RWD
                  >
                  > '67-'78 eldo FWD THM425 longitudal trans Cad engine of the year
                  > (472-500-425)
                  >
                  > '79-'85 eldo, '80-85 seville FWD THM325 3 or 4 speed longitudal
                  trans
                  > various engines (Olds 350, 350 Desiel, buick V6?, cad 368, 4.1L)
                  >
                  > After that FWD was transverse with the THM440 or 4T80E and cad
                  engine of
                  > the year (4.1L?, 4.5L, 4.9L, 4.6Northstar)
                  >
                  > ...don't know the caviler and opel based cadillacs....
                  *************
                  Thanks Joe (& others),
                  That's the jist of what I need. I can now check cars as I find them
                  for year, engine size, etc.
                  One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)
                  longitudinal trans in the FWD Caddies?
                  Thanks again,
                  ~ Paul
                  aka "Tha Driver"

                  Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                • joe4@DigArts.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                    As far as I know there is no manual counterpart to the THM425. That's
                    the trans that makes all this fun. Stock they can handle more than 500ft/lbs
                    of torque, and the whole package is still small enough to be stuffed into,
                    say, the back seat of a yugo (or in my project, the back of a mazda pickup)

                    This really isn't the drivetrain I'd pick for a small nimble fussy
                    sports car. For that you want something small and light that can make power
                    by spinning fast. A Cad 500 (or Olds 455) and THM425 combo is getting close
                    to half a ton. But they are reliable and cheap and can make big torque while
                    getting decent milage. So put it in something that wants to do wheelies. You
                    don't want to bother shifting when the front end is up in the air, anyway.

                    Really it shouldn't be too hard to set up a THM425 for full manual
                    control, if it would feel better for you.

                    ...if you are not thinking big torque you might find something in a late
                    90's mopar. And there's always the rear engined sports cars.

                    Good Luck!

                    > One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)
                    > longitudinal trans in the FWD Caddies?
                    > Thanks again,
                    > ~ Paul
                    > aka "Tha Driver"

                    > Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                    Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
                  • Paul Angel
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                      wrote:

                      > As far as I know there is no manual counterpart to the THM425.
                      That's
                      > the trans that makes all this fun. Stock they can handle more than
                      500ft/lbs
                      > of torque, and the whole package is still small enough to be
                      stuffed into,
                      > say, the back seat of a yugo (or in my project, the back of a mazda
                      pickup)

                      > This really isn't the drivetrain I'd pick for a small nimble
                      fussy
                      > sports car. For that you want something small and light that can
                      make power
                      > by spinning fast. A Cad 500 (or Olds 455) and THM425 combo is
                      getting close
                      > to half a ton. But they are reliable and cheap and can make big
                      torque while
                      > getting decent milage. So put it in something that wants to do
                      wheelies. You
                      > don't want to bother shifting when the front end is up in the air,
                      anyway.

                      > Really it shouldn't be too hard to set up a THM425 for full
                      manual
                      > control, if it would feel better for you.
                      >
                      > ...if you are not thinking big torque you might find something
                      in a late
                      > 90's mopar. And there's always the rear engined sports cars.
                      >
                      > Good Luck!
                      ****************
                      All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                      seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine over
                      the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such as
                      Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can adapt
                      a small-block to it.
                      As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several projects.
                      One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
                      work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
                      using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
                      have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a V8
                      longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
                      can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
                      Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic (in
                      which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                      bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal V8).
                      I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                      that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's just
                      in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car, &
                      am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                      him.
                      Thanks,
                      ~ Paul
                      aka "Tha Driver"

                      Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                      > > One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)
                      > > longitudinal trans in the FWD Caddies?
                      > > Thanks again,
                      > > ~ Paul
                      > > aka "Tha Driver"
                      >
                      > > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                      >
                      > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
                    • RGermain
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                        Maybe someplace like Advance adapters has what you need???

                        ****************
                        All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                        seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine over
                        the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such as
                        Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can adapt
                        a small-block to it.
                        As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several projects.
                        One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
                        work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
                        using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
                        have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a V8
                        longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
                        can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
                        Also,  some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic (in
                        which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                        bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal V8).
                        I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                        that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's just
                        in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car, &
                        am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                        him.
                        Thanks,
                        ~ Paul
                        aka "Tha Driver"

                        Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                        > > One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)
                        > > longitudinal trans in the FWD Caddies?
                        > > Thanks again,
                        > > ~ Paul
                        > > aka "Tha Driver"
                        >
                        > > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                        >
                        > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz

                      • Paul Angel
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 17, 2005
                          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, RGermain
                          <rich_germain@y...> wrote:
                          > Maybe someplace like Advance adapters has what you need???
                          ***********
                          Adaptors are not a problem. You can find most anything, & if not I
                          can make one (or have it made if need be).
                          The problem is finding a transaxle I can use with very little
                          money. :-p Thus the reason for determining every possibility &
                          option in order to keep an eye out for the right car/deal.
                          And of course finding the manual trans that fits longitudinaly in a
                          tight space - that's the biggest challenge.
                          ~ Paul
                          aka "Tha Driver"

> [...]
                          > Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic
                          (in
                          > which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                          > bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal
                          V8).
                          > I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                          > that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's
                          just
                          > in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car,
                          &
                          > am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                          > him.
                          > Thanks,
                          > ~ Paul
                          > aka "Tha Driver"
                          >
                          > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                          >

                          > > > One more question: was there ever a 4 or 5-speed (manual)

                        • William Lucke
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                            Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
                            applications?

                            Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less drivetrain
                            loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).

                            Will

                          • joe4@DigArts.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                              > All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                              > seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine over
                              > the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such as
                              > Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can adapt
                              > a small-block to it.

                              Well, The way I see it, If you plop a THM425 into the back of a car you
                              end up with a rear engined car, not a mid engined car. If I jack up my
                              Mazdaillac just in front of a rear wheel it lifts the whole side. The output
                              shaft goes right under the second main bearing, so you have a little more
                              than half the engine, all the transmission and most of the diff behind the
                              axle. You can angle the axle shafts back as much as 25° (assuming you don't
                              want rear steering :-) but I don't think you will actually get much of the
                              weight onto the front axle. All this is mute if space constraints keep the
                              engine pretty much over the axle.

                              > As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several projects.
                              > One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
                              > work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
                              > using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
                              > have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a V8
                              > longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
                              > can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
                              > Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic (in
                              > which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                              > bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal V8).
                              > I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                              > that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's just
                              > in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car, &
                              > am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                              > him.
                              > Thanks,

                              Well, geez, if you're just talking small blocks then torque shouldn't be
                              a big problem. If you have room for putting the engine in front of the axle
                              (I've never taken a close look at a fiero engine compartment, but I know
                              people like the transverse caddy setups for them, so it must be small) then you could think
                              about the transaxle from the back of a modern corvette, you could look at
                              late '90s mopars (I don't know that there is a manual, but there is a
                              chance, and it is a strange enough setup it's just fun to look at) There
                              were kits to put V8s in corvairs that used the stock trans, just rotated
                              180° (I don't know how that works out direction-wise; they may have had to
                              make the engine run backwards, or something...) and you can always just put
                              a diff on a RWD trans where the tailshaft used to be...

                              I kinda think space will be the biggest problem, so it may be time for a
                              trip to the junkyard with your trusty tape measure.

                              ...I just thought of the subarus. the center and front diffs are in the
                              trans case, so if you fix the center diff it should do what you want. The
                              stock engine has been known to break the stock trans, but there is a place
                              that makes stronger gears for only ~$2500. Then if you ever wanted to add
                              another axle and have a 4X6 it'd be easy. [*Smile*] ...you could do the
                              same thing with other 4WD/AWD setups, and it would give you some flexabilty,
                              the tradoff is moving the engine weight higher.

                              ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+ ft/lbs
                              and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200 pound
                              vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...

                              > ~ Paul
                              > aka "Tha Driver"

                              > Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                              Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
                            • Paul Angel
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                                --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                                Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                                > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
                                > applications?
                                >
                                > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
                                drivetrain
                                > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
                                >

                                > Will
                                **********
                                Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
                                they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
                                case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to. I
                                don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a transverse
                                engine.
                                Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
                                ~ Paul
                                aka "Tha Driver"

                                Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                                > > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@y...>
                                > >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
                                >
                                > >All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                                > >seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine
                                over
                                > >the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics such
                                as
                                > >Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can
                                adapt
                                > >a small-block to it.
                                > >As I mentioned before, I'm seeking alternatives for several
                                projects.
                                > >One I'm currently gathering parts for (& have started some of the
                                > >work) is a mid-engine VW Cabriolet. I was originally thinking of
                                > >using Fiero running gear (& may still) & either an LT1 ('95 which I
                                > >have) or a 300HP 283 (which I also have). But I would rather do a
                                V8
                                > >longitudinaly, as long as I can keep it manual (with a clutch) so I
                                > >can build it up as a roadracer-type machine.
                                > >Also, some of the other projects include an '88 Fiero automatic
                                (in
                                > >which I'm leaning towards a Caddy 4.9 & 4-speed auto), & a Ferrari-
                                > >bodied '86 Fiero (which I would like to also have a longitudinal
                                V8).
                                > >I don't mind adapting a small-block to an automatic transaxle for
                                > >that one, if I can make it fit within a 3" stretched Fiero. It's
                                just
                                > >in the thinking about it stage right now, but I *do* have the car,
                                &
                                > >am talking to a guy about trading me the body kit to build one for
                                > >him.
                                > >Thanks,
                                > >~ Paul
                                > >aka "Tha Driver"
                                > >
                                > >Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                                >

                                > --
                                4/16/2005
                              • Preston III
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                                  LOL, you don't need 700 horsepower to smoke the front
                                  wheels in a FWD car! I've got a 65 horsepower '84
                                  Ford Escort that will SMOKE the tires! And it'll turn
                                  6000 RPM.

                                  LOL, gotta love that weight transfer OFF the front
                                  tires during acceleration and cornering!

                                  Preston III

                                  --- joe4@... wrote:
                                  > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad
                                  > engine with 700+ ft/lbs
                                  > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun
                                  > to drive a 5200 pound
                                  > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...

                                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

                                  When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me."

                                  Preston, Tim, or Mr Bond. . . . They're all me!

                                • Paul Angel
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                                    wrote:

                                    > > All that makes a lot of sense. The reason I was asking, is there
                                    > > seems to be no mid-engine manual options that places the engine
                                    over
                                    > > the transaxle (with the exception of *very* expensive exotics
                                    such as
                                    > > Lambos). The manual would also weigh less than the auto & I can
                                    adapt
                                    > > a small-block to it.
                                    > *****
                                    > Well, The way I see it, If you plop a THM425 into the back of a
                                    car you
                                    > end up with a rear engined car, not a mid engined car.
                                    ***************
                                    Yeah, it's kinda a mid-rear engine car. I consider a rear engine car
                                    to have the entire engine behind the transmission, like Porsche &
                                    Corvair.

> [...]
                                    small) then you could think
                                    > about the transaxle from the back of a modern corvette, you could
                                    look at
                                    > late '90s mopars (I don't know that there is a manual, but there is
                                    > chance, and it is a strange enough setup it's just fun to look at)
                                    There
                                    > were kits to put V8s in corvairs that used the stock trans, just
                                    rotated
                                    > 180° (I don't know how that works out direction-wise; they may have
                                    had to
                                    > make the engine run backwards, or something...) and you can always
                                    just put
                                    > a diff on a RWD trans where the tailshaft used to be...
                                    >
                                    > I kinda think space will be the biggest problem, so it may be
                                    time for a
                                    > trip to the junkyard with your trusty tape measure.
                                    Yeah; nothing fits that has the engine in front of the drive axle (in
                                    either car). I don't think a 36" stretched Fiero with a 33" stretched
                                    Ferrari body is what I'm looking for.

                                    > ...I just thought of the subarus. the center and front diffs
                                    are in the
                                    > trans case, so if you fix the center diff it should do what you
                                    want. The
                                    > stock engine has been known to break the stock trans, but there is
                                    a place
                                    > that makes stronger gears for only ~$2500.
                                    **********
                                    My entire budget for the drivetrain will be far less than that. I'm
                                    an artist, & a poor one at that.

                                    Then if you ever wanted to add
                                    > another axle and have a 4X6 it'd be easy. [*Smile*] ...you could
                                    do the
                                    > same thing with other 4WD/AWD setups, and it would give you some
                                    flexabilty,
                                    > the tradoff is moving the engine weight higher.
                                    >
                                    > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+
                                    ft/lbs
                                    > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200
                                    pound
                                    > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
                                    ***************
                                    Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
                                    a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied car,
                                    but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as well.
                                    None of these will be FWD.
                                    On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW baja
                                    bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running gear
                                    reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive shafts,
                                    so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down. BTW
                                    when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you reverse
                                    the side the ring gear is on.

                                    > > ~ Paul
                                    > > aka "Tha Driver"
                                    >
                                    > > Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                                    >

                                    > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
                                  • John Brody
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                                      FYI FWD Audis from the early 80's on were front engine, front-drive
                                      with (I believe) a longitudinal transmission that came in a manual.
                                      Move the entire drive-train to the back of a car and you've got a
                                      sweet mid-engine rear-drive manual setup. I believe I have seen
                                      websites where people adapted other engines to the Audi trans and
                                      beefed up the internals, but I don't remember where right now. That
                                      would save you the trouble of having to deal with fixing the center
                                      diff of a 4WD Subaru -- although the Audis did come in 4WD as well,
                                      they also came in 2WD.

                                      John

                                      On 4/18/05, Paul Angel <imthadriver@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                      > >
                                      > > ...Are you sure you don't want to build a cad engine with 700+
                                      > ft/lbs
                                      > > and not worry about this shifting stuff? It is fun to drive a 5200
                                      > pound
                                      > > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
                                      > ***************
                                      > Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
                                      > a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied car,
                                      > but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as well.
                                      > None of these will be FWD.
                                      > On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW baja
                                      > bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running gear
                                      > reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive shafts,
                                      > so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down. BTW
                                      > when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you reverse

                                    • Paul Angel
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 18, 2005
                                        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, John Brody
                                        <jbrody@g...> wrote:
                                        > FYI FWD Audis from the early 80's on were front engine, front-drive
                                        > with (I believe) a longitudinal transmission that came in a manual.
                                        > Move the entire drive-train to the back of a car and you've got a
                                        > sweet mid-engine rear-drive manual setup. I believe I have seen
                                        > websites where people adapted other engines to the Audi trans and
                                        > beefed up the internals, but I don't remember where right now. That
                                        > would save you the trouble of having to deal with fixing the center
                                        > diff of a 4WD Subaru -- although the Audis did come in 4WD as well,
                                        > they also came in 2WD.
                                        >
                                        > John
                                        ****************
                                        Haven't been able to find a reasonably priced Audi transaxle. I think
                                        I could use that in the VW Cabriolet, though; but I don't think there
                                        is enough room in the Fiero. The Audi parts seem to be gold...
                                        ~ Paul
                                        aka "Tha Driver"

> [...]
                                        > > pound
                                        > > > vehicle that can spin it's front wheels...
                                        > > ***************
                                        > > Just don't want an automatic in the VW - not the thing for
                                        > > a "roadracer". I might would consider it for the Ferrari-bodied
                                        car,
                                        > > but really don't want the weight - it won't handle nearly as
                                        well.
                                        > > None of these will be FWD.
                                        > > On a side note, I'm thinking of using Brat running gear in my VW
                                        baja
                                        > > bug, using the VW engine in it's normal location. I'm running
                                        gear
                                        > > reduction boxes that reverse the rotation of the rear drive
                                        shafts,
                                        > > so all I would have to do is mount the front diff. upside down.
                                        BTW
                                        > > when using a transaxle such as a corvair in a mid-engine, you

                                        Service.
                                      • William Lucke
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 19, 2005
                                          The transverse automatics have a chain drive from the pump to the
                                          transmission, then a planetary final.
                                          Transverse manuals have spur gear final drive
                                          Either way, they avoid the drivetrain loss of a hypoid bevel final drive.

                                          Which Ferarri body?
                                          Dino 246, Ferarri 308 and 328 were all transverse
                                          As was the Lamborghini Jalpa (and maybe the Miura, not sure), as well as
                                          the Cizeta Moroder V16T (transverse V16 based on two Lambo Urago V8's put
                                          together)
                                          And my Northstar Fiero with HM282 five speed. It ran 12's on the stock
                                          engine. It will be back on the road after performance build soon.
                                          I think that the transverse approach IS artful for the reasons I already
                                          mentioned... the transmission is simpler, smaller and lighter and more
                                          efficient. Mechanical art and elegant design.

                                          Will

                                          > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@...>
                                          >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
                                          >

                                          >--- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                                          >Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                                          > > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in these
                                          > > applications?
                                          > >
                                          > > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
                                          >drivetrain
                                          > > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
                                          > >

                                          > > Will
                                          >**********
                                          >Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
                                          >they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
                                          >case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to. I
                                          >don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a transverse
                                          >engine.
                                          >Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
                                          >~ Paul
                                          >aka "Tha Driver"
                                          >
                                          >Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                                        • Paul Angel
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 19, 2005
                                            Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                                            > The transverse automatics have a chain drive from the pump to the
                                            > transmission, then a planetary final.
                                            > Transverse manuals have spur gear final drive
                                            > Either way, they avoid the drivetrain loss of a hypoid bevel final
                                            drive.

                                            > Which Ferarri body?
                                            > Dino 246, Ferarri 308 and 328 were all transverse
                                            > As was the Lamborghini Jalpa (and maybe the Miura, not sure), as
                                            well as
                                            > the Cizeta Moroder V16T (transverse V16 based on two Lambo Urago
                                            V8's put
                                            > together)
                                            > And my Northstar Fiero with HM282 five speed. It ran 12's on the
                                            stock
                                            > engine. It will be back on the road after performance build soon.
                                            > I think that the transverse approach IS artful for the reasons I
                                            already
                                            > mentioned... the transmission is simpler, smaller and lighter and
                                            more
                                            > efficient. Mechanical art and elegant design.
                                            >

                                            > Will
                                            *************
                                            Really? Never noticed that. The guy I'm talking to has the 355
                                            Ferrari; They're longitudinal V8s, Right?
                                            But strickly as art, the tranverse setups just don't appeal to me.
                                            I'm very eccentric, you know. (I'm an artist :-D
                                            ~ Paul
                                            aka "Tha Driver"

                                            Easy on the Giggle Cream!

                                            > > From: "Paul Angel" <imthadriver@y...>
                                            > >Subject: Re: Engine/drivetrain list
                                            > >

                                            > >--- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
                                            > >Lucke <william.lucke@h...> wrote:
                                            > > > Why are you determined to have a longitudinal transmission in
                                            these
                                            > > > applications?
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Transverse manuals are lighter and more compact and have less
                                            > >drivetrain
                                            > > > loss (spur gear final drive instead of hypoid bevel).
                                            > > >

                                            > > > Will
                                            > >**********
                                            > >Well, I'm an artist, first of all. Cars are my medium. I just think
                                            > >they will look better, the weight will be more balanced, & in the
                                            > >case of the Ferrari-bodied Fiero, look more like it's supposed to.
                                            > >don't know of any exotic (except the Fiero :-) that has a
                                            transverse
                                            > >engine.
                                            > >Spur gear? I thought they were chain drive...(not that it matters).
                                            > >~ Paul
                                            > >aka "Tha Driver"
                                            > >
                                            > >Easy on the Giggle Cream!
                                            >

                                            > --