Re: quadrajet numbers needed

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
      "husband & wife",

      IIRC, the early 472s and maybe 500s were divorced choke, and later
      were not. Which you would need depends on which intake you have.
      Divorced style would need intake that accepts the bi-metal spring
      thingabob.

      Not sure about Caddys, but there are two sizes of primary venturi on
      Q-Js. Small one has smooth bore venturi. Big one has bumps on the
      inner diameter of venturi. Easy to spot. Small flows apx 750, and big
      apx 800, assuming air doors are opened full [not all were as such
      from factory].
      Dave

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
        All,
        Fwiw, even an spreadbore holley will not match the economy of a well
        tuned Q-J, and on a mild caddy, an 800 spread bore will probably not
        make much, if any more power. The Holley power valve is pretty much
        on or off. The Q-J's power piston makes for a more proper afr at all
        throttle openings. Getting the afr curve right isn't an easy thing to
        do though.

        On a strip car, or if economy isn't an issue, Holley yes. Can a Q-J
        do the job on a race car, yes, if you have the time/skill. Look at
        NHRA stock class cars. Many are making big power with Q-Js. A Holley
        is much easier to tune though, I admit.
        Dave

        > Ditch the quadrajunk and throw a holley on it.
      • Jerry Brown
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
          Finally got down to the shop and found the carburetor from the 74 472
          engine. Its stamped Rochester Quadrajet. The only #s I could find on
          exterior were: 7043234 and under that 10031. Hope that is helpful to you.
          Re. getting it set up right: Getting harder and harder to find good
          carburetor technicians as its been 20 years since carburetors were put on
          cars.
          Jerry Brown

          >> anyone know the casting number on the big caddy carbs from the
          > 70's.
          >> I need the carb.
          >
          > the high cfm carb guessing 75 or 76 ish i believe it flowed 100
          > cfm more than a normal quad
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • zenishus
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
            i going to send mine to jet performance.