Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: quadrajet numbers needed

  • Jeffrey Gray
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
      Ditch the quadrajunk and throw a holley on it.

      On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:04:45 -0800, Jerry Brown <jerome@...> wrote:

      > I have a carb from a 74 472 sitting in my shop. When I go down there later
      > today I will try to get all the #s. I remember some discussion on this site
      > that these were about 800 cfm carburetors.
      > Jerry Brown
      > Woodland WA

    • RGermain
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
        The Rochester carb can be a great carb if it's set up right. But that not always easy.

        One thing a spread bore has over a square bore, is if you drive your car daily, you'll get much better MPG, then, when you want to get the thing movin', you can always open up the secondaries!

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
          "husband & wife",

          IIRC, the early 472s and maybe 500s were divorced choke, and later
          were not. Which you would need depends on which intake you have.
          Divorced style would need intake that accepts the bi-metal spring
          thingabob.

          Not sure about Caddys, but there are two sizes of primary venturi on
          Q-Js. Small one has smooth bore venturi. Big one has bumps on the
          inner diameter of venturi. Easy to spot. Small flows apx 750, and big
          apx 800, assuming air doors are opened full [not all were as such
          from factory].
          Dave

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
            All,
            Fwiw, even an spreadbore holley will not match the economy of a well
            tuned Q-J, and on a mild caddy, an 800 spread bore will probably not
            make much, if any more power. The Holley power valve is pretty much
            on or off. The Q-J's power piston makes for a more proper afr at all
            throttle openings. Getting the afr curve right isn't an easy thing to
            do though.

            On a strip car, or if economy isn't an issue, Holley yes. Can a Q-J
            do the job on a race car, yes, if you have the time/skill. Look at
            NHRA stock class cars. Many are making big power with Q-Js. A Holley
            is much easier to tune though, I admit.
            Dave

            > Ditch the quadrajunk and throw a holley on it.
          • Jerry Brown
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
              Finally got down to the shop and found the carburetor from the 74 472
              engine. Its stamped Rochester Quadrajet. The only #s I could find on
              exterior were: 7043234 and under that 10031. Hope that is helpful to you.
              Re. getting it set up right: Getting harder and harder to find good
              carburetor technicians as its been 20 years since carburetors were put on
              cars.
              Jerry Brown

              >> anyone know the casting number on the big caddy carbs from the
              > 70's.
              >> I need the carb.
              >
              > the high cfm carb guessing 75 or 76 ish i believe it flowed 100
              > cfm more than a normal quad
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • zenishus
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
                i going to send mine to jet performance.