Re: quadrajet numbers needed

  • zenishus
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21, 2005
      what year?they varied.
    • husband & wife
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "husband &
        wife" <zonch90@y...> wrote:

        > anyone know the casting number on the big caddy carbs from the
        70's.
        > I need the carb.

        the high cfm carb guessing 75 or 76 ish i believe it flowed 100
        cfm more than a normal quad
      • Jerry Brown
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
          I have a carb from a 74 472 sitting in my shop. When I go down there later
          today I will try to get all the #s. I remember some discussion on this site
          that these were about 800 cfm carburetors.
          Jerry Brown
          Woodland WA

          >> anyone know the casting number on the big caddy carbs from the
          > 70's.
          >> I need the carb.
          >
          > the high cfm carb guessing 75 or 76 ish i believe it flowed 100
          > cfm more than a normal quad
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jeffrey Gray
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
            Ditch the quadrajunk and throw a holley on it.

            On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:04:45 -0800, Jerry Brown <jerome@...> wrote:

            > I have a carb from a 74 472 sitting in my shop. When I go down there later
            > today I will try to get all the #s. I remember some discussion on this site
            > that these were about 800 cfm carburetors.
            > Jerry Brown
            > Woodland WA

          • RGermain
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
              The Rochester carb can be a great carb if it's set up right. But that not always easy.

              One thing a spread bore has over a square bore, is if you drive your car daily, you'll get much better MPG, then, when you want to get the thing movin', you can always open up the secondaries!

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
                "husband & wife",

                IIRC, the early 472s and maybe 500s were divorced choke, and later
                were not. Which you would need depends on which intake you have.
                Divorced style would need intake that accepts the bi-metal spring
                thingabob.

                Not sure about Caddys, but there are two sizes of primary venturi on
                Q-Js. Small one has smooth bore venturi. Big one has bumps on the
                inner diameter of venturi. Easy to spot. Small flows apx 750, and big
                apx 800, assuming air doors are opened full [not all were as such
                from factory].
                Dave

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
                  All,
                  Fwiw, even an spreadbore holley will not match the economy of a well
                  tuned Q-J, and on a mild caddy, an 800 spread bore will probably not
                  make much, if any more power. The Holley power valve is pretty much
                  on or off. The Q-J's power piston makes for a more proper afr at all
                  throttle openings. Getting the afr curve right isn't an easy thing to
                  do though.

                  On a strip car, or if economy isn't an issue, Holley yes. Can a Q-J
                  do the job on a race car, yes, if you have the time/skill. Look at
                  NHRA stock class cars. Many are making big power with Q-Js. A Holley
                  is much easier to tune though, I admit.
                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
                    Finally got down to the shop and found the carburetor from the 74 472
                    engine. Its stamped Rochester Quadrajet. The only #s I could find on
                    exterior were: 7043234 and under that 10031. Hope that is helpful to you.
                    Re. getting it set up right: Getting harder and harder to find good
                    carburetor technicians as its been 20 years since carburetors were put on
                    cars.
                    Jerry Brown

                    >> anyone know the casting number on the big caddy carbs from the
                    > 70's.
                    >> I need the carb.
                    >
                    > the high cfm carb guessing 75 or 76 ish i believe it flowed 100
                    > cfm more than a normal quad
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • zenishus
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
                      i going to send mine to jet performance.