Re: Updating 73's points...

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16 4:27 AM
      Tony,

      You could use any caddy HEI from 472/500/425, maybe even 368".
      Probably '74 or '75 up. Look for one with a vac advance can, and only
      one external wire feeding 12v to it. Real late ones may be computer
      conrolled, and would have more than one wire going to it. Most
      computer controlled HEIs have no vac can, but some do. I'm not
      learned enough to say if any caddys were as such.

      You can un-tape your wiring harness to find and remove the section of
      special wire that adds resistance for the points. It will be soldered
      in and will appear different, and will be more stiff than normal
      wire. Replace it wirh std wire, so you'll have full bat current. You
      could also run a new feed wire from fuse box from any terminal that
      is 12v with ignition in run position only, instead of opening your
      harness. That way, you could easily convert back if you like.
      Dave

      D. Cato" <deacon_cato@y...> wrote:

      > Hey guys step by step im getting Fleetwood back to greatness. I
      want
      > to update my points to a MSD cap and roter which involves changing
      > the ignition and coil as well. Any tips, tricks, or comments from
      you
      > all would be greatly appreciated.
    • Jeremy Stevens
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16 8:45 AM
        In trying to save money towards a paint job I would like to remove all of my
        chrome badges trunk lid, rear fenders, front grill ect... are these all
        screwed in? any tips in removing the badges... besides the very carfefully
        tactic?

        Are there any catalogs available for parts for a 1968 cadillac? I need front
        fenders bad...

        >From: Preston III <prestoniii2002@...>
        >To: Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: Updating 73's points...
        >Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:46:59 -0800 (PST)
        >
        >It's GM's version of electronic ignition. No points,
        >no wear, no hassles.
        >
        >The standard point system uses a resistor wire
        >that drops the voltage to about 6 volts when it
        >gets to the coil and distributor, so you can't
        >use that wire to power HEI. But you can run a
        >standard wire to the HEI distributor to give it
        >the 12 volts it needs to function.
        >
        >Once you've got that done, you're in business.
        >Just make sure that the 12 volts goes off when
        >you turn the key off, or the engine wont die.
        >
        >Preston III
        >
        >--- "Tony D. Cato" <deacon_cato@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Im a beginner. What is HEI? How does it compare to a cap and rotor?
        > > What are the pros and cons? I am all ears. Thanks
        >

        >Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments
        >that take your breath away.
        >
        >When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
        >not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You
        >gave me."
        >
        >Preston, Tim, or Mr Bond. . . . They're all me!

        >Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!
        >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/
      • Paul Angel
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 17, 2005
          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy
          Stevens" <jcopp24@h...> wrote:
          > In trying to save money towards a paint job I would like to remove
          all of my
          > chrome badges trunk lid, rear fenders, front grill ect... are these
          all
          > screwed in? any tips in removing the badges... besides the very
          carfefully
          > tactic?
          >
          > Are there any catalogs available for parts for a 1968 cadillac? I
          need front
          > fenders bad...
          **************
          Depends mostly on the year of the car. The older ones such as a '68
          usually have nuts on the back of moldings & emblems. Some of the ones
          that have no access to the back of the panel will have clip-ons. With
          the clip-ons, you usually have to pull down a little on the molding
          while prying out with a screwdriver - all very carefully. Obviously
          with the nuts you have to pull the inner fenders & such to access
          those. Grilles & such will be bolted on - should be easy enough to
          spot.
          HTH,
          ~ Paul
          aka "Tha Driver"