Re: Updating 73's points...

  • Tony D. Cato
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14 4:42 PM
      Im a beginner. What is HEI? How does it compare to a cap and rotor?
      What are the pros and cons? I am all ears. Thanks
    • Preston III
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15 7:46 AM
        It's GM's version of electronic ignition. No points,
        no wear, no hassles.

        The standard point system uses a resistor wire
        that drops the voltage to about 6 volts when it
        gets to the coil and distributor, so you can't
        use that wire to power HEI. But you can run a
        standard wire to the HEI distributor to give it
        the 12 volts it needs to function.

        Once you've got that done, you're in business.
        Just make sure that the 12 volts goes off when
        you turn the key off, or the engine wont die.

        Preston III

        --- "Tony D. Cato" <deacon_cato@...> wrote:

        > Im a beginner. What is HEI? How does it compare to a cap and rotor?
        > What are the pros and cons? I am all ears. Thanks

        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

        When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me."

        Preston, Tim, or Mr Bond. . . . They're all me!

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16 4:27 AM
          Tony,

          You could use any caddy HEI from 472/500/425, maybe even 368".
          Probably '74 or '75 up. Look for one with a vac advance can, and only
          one external wire feeding 12v to it. Real late ones may be computer
          conrolled, and would have more than one wire going to it. Most
          computer controlled HEIs have no vac can, but some do. I'm not
          learned enough to say if any caddys were as such.

          You can un-tape your wiring harness to find and remove the section of
          special wire that adds resistance for the points. It will be soldered
          in and will appear different, and will be more stiff than normal
          wire. Replace it wirh std wire, so you'll have full bat current. You
          could also run a new feed wire from fuse box from any terminal that
          is 12v with ignition in run position only, instead of opening your
          harness. That way, you could easily convert back if you like.
          Dave

          D. Cato" <deacon_cato@y...> wrote:

          > Hey guys step by step im getting Fleetwood back to greatness. I
          want
          > to update my points to a MSD cap and roter which involves changing
          > the ignition and coil as well. Any tips, tricks, or comments from
          you
          > all would be greatly appreciated.
        • Jeremy Stevens
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 16 8:45 AM
            In trying to save money towards a paint job I would like to remove all of my
            chrome badges trunk lid, rear fenders, front grill ect... are these all
            screwed in? any tips in removing the badges... besides the very carfefully
            tactic?

            Are there any catalogs available for parts for a 1968 cadillac? I need front
            fenders bad...

            >From: Preston III <prestoniii2002@...>
            >To: Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: Updating 73's points...
            >Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:46:59 -0800 (PST)
            >
            >It's GM's version of electronic ignition. No points,
            >no wear, no hassles.
            >
            >The standard point system uses a resistor wire
            >that drops the voltage to about 6 volts when it
            >gets to the coil and distributor, so you can't
            >use that wire to power HEI. But you can run a
            >standard wire to the HEI distributor to give it
            >the 12 volts it needs to function.
            >
            >Once you've got that done, you're in business.
            >Just make sure that the 12 volts goes off when
            >you turn the key off, or the engine wont die.
            >
            >Preston III
            >
            >--- "Tony D. Cato" <deacon_cato@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Im a beginner. What is HEI? How does it compare to a cap and rotor?
            > > What are the pros and cons? I am all ears. Thanks
            >

            >Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments
            >that take your breath away.
            >
            >When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
            >not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You
            >gave me."
            >
            >Preston, Tim, or Mr Bond. . . . They're all me!

            >Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!
            >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/
          • Paul Angel
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 17, 2005
              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy
              Stevens" <jcopp24@h...> wrote:
              > In trying to save money towards a paint job I would like to remove
              all of my
              > chrome badges trunk lid, rear fenders, front grill ect... are these
              all
              > screwed in? any tips in removing the badges... besides the very
              carfefully
              > tactic?
              >
              > Are there any catalogs available for parts for a 1968 cadillac? I
              need front
              > fenders bad...
              **************
              Depends mostly on the year of the car. The older ones such as a '68
              usually have nuts on the back of moldings & emblems. Some of the ones
              that have no access to the back of the panel will have clip-ons. With
              the clip-ons, you usually have to pull down a little on the molding
              while prying out with a screwdriver - all very carefully. Obviously
              with the nuts you have to pull the inner fenders & such to access
              those. Grilles & such will be bolted on - should be easy enough to
              spot.
              HTH,
              ~ Paul
              aka "Tha Driver"