Updating 73's points...

  • Tony D. Cato
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
      Hey guys step by step im getting Fleetwood back to greatness. I want
      to update my points to a MSD cap and roter which involves changing
      the ignition and coil as well. Any tips, tricks, or comments from you
      all would be greatly appreciated.
    • Preston III
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
        Why not convert to electronic ignition like HEI?
        You should be able to get a distributor from a later
        model big block caddy to do it. Then it's just a
        case of running a +12 volt power wire to it when
        the key is on.

        Preston III

        --- "Tony D. Cato" <deacon_cato@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys step by step im getting Fleetwood back to greatness. I want
        > to update my points to a MSD cap and roter which involves changing
        > the ignition and coil as well. Any tips, tricks, or comments from you
        > all would be greatly appreciated.

        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

        When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me."

        Preston, Tim, or Mr Bond. . . . They're all me!

      • Tony D. Cato
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2005
          Im a beginner. What is HEI? How does it compare to a cap and rotor?
          What are the pros and cons? I am all ears. Thanks
        • Preston III
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15, 2005
            It's GM's version of electronic ignition. No points,
            no wear, no hassles.

            The standard point system uses a resistor wire
            that drops the voltage to about 6 volts when it
            gets to the coil and distributor, so you can't
            use that wire to power HEI. But you can run a
            standard wire to the HEI distributor to give it
            the 12 volts it needs to function.

            Once you've got that done, you're in business.
            Just make sure that the 12 volts goes off when
            you turn the key off, or the engine wont die.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
              Tony,

              You could use any caddy HEI from 472/500/425, maybe even 368".
              Probably '74 or '75 up. Look for one with a vac advance can, and only
              one external wire feeding 12v to it. Real late ones may be computer
              conrolled, and would have more than one wire going to it. Most
              computer controlled HEIs have no vac can, but some do. I'm not
              learned enough to say if any caddys were as such.

              You can un-tape your wiring harness to find and remove the section of
              special wire that adds resistance for the points. It will be soldered
              in and will appear different, and will be more stiff than normal
              wire. Replace it wirh std wire, so you'll have full bat current. You
              could also run a new feed wire from fuse box from any terminal that
              is 12v with ignition in run position only, instead of opening your
              harness. That way, you could easily convert back if you like.
              Dave

              D. Cato" <deacon_cato@y...> wrote:

              > Hey guys step by step im getting Fleetwood back to greatness. I
              want
              > to update my points to a MSD cap and roter which involves changing
              > the ignition and coil as well. Any tips, tricks, or comments from
              you
              > all would be greatly appreciated.
            • Jeremy Stevens
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2005
                In trying to save money towards a paint job I would like to remove all of my
                chrome badges trunk lid, rear fenders, front grill ect... are these all
                screwed in? any tips in removing the badges... besides the very carfefully
                tactic?

                Are there any catalogs available for parts for a 1968 cadillac? I need front
                fenders bad...

                >From: Preston III <prestoniii2002@...>
                >To: Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: Updating 73's points...
                >Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:46:59 -0800 (PST)
                >
                >It's GM's version of electronic ignition. No points,
                >no wear, no hassles.
                >
                >The standard point system uses a resistor wire
                >that drops the voltage to about 6 volts when it
                >gets to the coil and distributor, so you can't
                >use that wire to power HEI. But you can run a
                >standard wire to the HEI distributor to give it
                >the 12 volts it needs to function.
                >
                >Once you've got that done, you're in business.
                >Just make sure that the 12 volts goes off when
                >you turn the key off, or the engine wont die.
                >
                >Preston III
                >
                >--- "Tony D. Cato" <deacon_cato@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Im a beginner. What is HEI? How does it compare to a cap and rotor?
                > > What are the pros and cons? I am all ears. Thanks
                >

                >Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments
                >that take your breath away.
                >
                >When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would
                >not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You
                >gave me."
                >
                >Preston, Tim, or Mr Bond. . . . They're all me!

                >Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!
                >http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/
              • Paul Angel
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 17, 2005
                  --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy
                  Stevens" <jcopp24@h...> wrote:
                  > In trying to save money towards a paint job I would like to remove
                  all of my
                  > chrome badges trunk lid, rear fenders, front grill ect... are these
                  all
                  > screwed in? any tips in removing the badges... besides the very
                  carfefully
                  > tactic?
                  >
                  > Are there any catalogs available for parts for a 1968 cadillac? I
                  need front
                  > fenders bad...
                  **************
                  Depends mostly on the year of the car. The older ones such as a '68
                  usually have nuts on the back of moldings & emblems. Some of the ones
                  that have no access to the back of the panel will have clip-ons. With
                  the clip-ons, you usually have to pull down a little on the molding
                  while prying out with a screwdriver - all very carefully. Obviously
                  with the nuts you have to pull the inner fenders & such to access
                  those. Grilles & such will be bolted on - should be easy enough to
                  spot.
                  HTH,
                  ~ Paul
                  aka "Tha Driver"