Carb for 73 472

  • Tony D. Cato
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2005
      I need a new carb and rebuilding the original is not an option. What
      size carb and by who? THANKS!
    • Preston III
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2005
        Then grab a used original from the wrecking yard, and pay
        a reputable mechanic to rebuild it.

        There's a place in California called "The Carburetor Shop"
        that specializes in Quadrajets. Let them do a performance
        rebuild. It'll cost you about $200-$250 for the rebuild.
        They do fantastic work. PLUS, I think Edelbrock sells NEW
        Quadrajets for around $350-$450.

        The small front venturi of the Quadrajet is where these
        carbs get the fuel economy that they provide, and no
        other aftermarket carburetor has the small primary
        venturi. And the ultra LARGE secondaries make up for
        the small primaries when you step on the "GO" pedal.

        Your factory Quadrajet probably measures something close to
        900 CFM with all 4 venturi full open, but the Quadrajet
        is a variable CFM carburetor, and calibrates itself
        according to the air that's needed, and NOT what it's
        capable of. Realistic calculations indicate that your
        engine could live with a 650 CFM fixed flow. On a low
        performance luxo-barge, 600 would probably be even better
        for quicker throttle responce and better economy.

        A replacement carb like a holley, or carter just can't match
        the fuel economy of your original, and the performance gain
        will not be enough to offset the extreme loss in gas mileage.
        These carb's are fixed CFM, and are jetted to provide the
        appropriate amount of fuel at full flow, once you're into
        the secondary circuit.

        If you put a holley on that engine, you wont be able to
        pass a filling station. They're good carb's, but their
        purpose is not for a daily driven boat. If you're building
        a high performance car, there are other things that you need
        to look into before you get to the carb; things like exhaust,
        intake manifold, ignition systems, etc.

        Preston III

        --- "Tony D. Cato" <deacon_cato@...> wrote:

        > I need a new carb and rebuilding the original is not an option. What
        > size carb and by who? THANKS!

        __________________________________
        Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
      • Jeremy Stevens
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
          Preston III
          Thanks for the awesome info on the carbs. My question is on the stock
          Quadrajet 400 that is on my 1968 Sedan De Ville. I think that my carburetor
          is fouled but not being a mechanic I would like a second opinion. My engine
          has about 38250 miles and it is original miles ( single owner before me )
          driving home last summer I went to accelerate and felt the engine choke up.
          The car obviously did not accelerate so I backed off the peddle and stayed
          at the speed the engine seemed to like for the rest of the ride.
          When I returned home I shut down the car and thought that maybe I had
          bought some bad gas because I had bought it in a small town. So I went and
          bought some drygas and filled the engine back up with regular unleaded. I
          have never used lead additive nor did the owner before... you might tell me
          that is my problem too... I have been advised either way on that question I
          just did what the previous owner had done.
          Either way now when I go outside to start the car I have to use a
          starter fluid/spray ( I think because it is cold ) But I have to give the
          car gas other wise it will stall out imediatly. Even after I let the car run
          for a half and hour by holding the gas down a little the car still can not
          stay running.
          There is my problem... I have been told my carb is probably clogged
          up??? That my timing belt has been advanced or retarded just enough so that
          this is happening??? Or that I have a clogged fuel pump even... I know you
          cant see the car but any advice on where to start would be great.
          Thank you,
          J Copp
          jcopp24@...

        • Pollorey
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
            Sounds like your choke is not closing when cold.

            Is the carb clean? Start by a good cleaning with carb cleaner and then some
            WD40 around the choke plate and secondaries. Make sure the small links on
            the passenger side are clean and free to move. With the car cold both the
            secondaries and the primaries should be closed from view...completely
            closed.

            Good luck!

> [...]

            >will not be enough to offset the extreme loss in gas mileage.
            >These carb's are fixed CFM, and are jetted to provide the
            >appropriate amount of fuel at full flow, once you're into
            >the secondary circuit.
            >
            >If you put a holley on that engine, you wont be able to
            >pass a filling station. They're good carb's, but their
            >purpose is not for a daily driven boat. If you're building
            >a high performance car, there are other things that you need
            >to look into before you get to the carb; things like exhaust,
            >intake manifold, ignition systems, etc.
            >
            >Preston III
            >
            >--- "Tony D. Cato" <deacon_cato@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I need a new carb and rebuilding the original is not an option. What
            > > size carb and by who? THANKS!
            >

            >__________________________________
            >Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
            >Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • RGermain
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
              from what you have described, it sounds to me that the problem is your carb.
              My first thought is that it's a stuck, or sticking, float.
              if you go to a major auto parts store ie; autozone, you should be able to buy a reman. for under $200. The 472 family of engines were pretty common. You should have no problem finding a carb. WOrst case, you'll need to cross reference the number on your carb to find a new one. But I doubt you'll need to.

              I wouldnt suspect the timing chain, but it's an easy thing to check.

              There have been many arguments for and against lead additive.
              From what I've gathered and from my own experience, you dont need the stuff.

              Older cars needed lead in the gas to act as a "cushion" between the valves and the valve seats. Since there is no longer lead in gasoline, you can put in the additive. New cars use hardened valve seats. If you ever re-do your heads, make sure they put in hardened valve seats.

              As long as you dont race, tow, advance the timing, or drive the car hard, you should have no problem.

              I have a 1968 DeVille convertible and a 1968 Dodge Coronet 440 that for years I used as daily drivers in Chicago and never used the additive. I have yet to have a problem with either car resulting from the lack of lead or additive.
              But, if you want to use it, go for it.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
                If your car is truly original, it wouldn't be a bad
                idea to rebuild the carburetor. It sounds like something
                within your choke is broken, and that can cause all
                kinds of problems.

                Check for hard and brittle vaccuum lines too, for leaks.

                It's doubtful that you have timing chain problems at 38K
                miles.

                One problem at a time, and the carburetor would be the place
                to start.

                Preston III

                --- Jeremy Stevens <jcopp24@...> wrote:
                > Preston III
                > Thanks for the awesome info on the carbs. My question is on the stock
                > Quadrajet 400 that is on my 1968 Sedan De Ville. I think that my carburetor
                > is fouled but not being a mechanic I would like a second opinion. My engine
                > has about 38250 miles and it is original miles ( single owner before me )
                > driving home last summer I went to accelerate and felt the engine choke up.
                > The car obviously did not accelerate so I backed off the peddle and stayed
                > at the speed the engine seemed to like for the rest of the ride.
                > When I returned home I shut down the car and thought that maybe I had
                > bought some bad gas because I had bought it in a small town. So I went and
                > bought some drygas and filled the engine back up with regular unleaded. I
                > have never used lead additive nor did the owner before... you might tell me
                > that is my problem too... I have been advised either way on that question I
                > just did what the previous owner had done.
                > Either way now when I go outside to start the car I have to use a
                > starter fluid/spray ( I think because it is cold ) But I have to give the
                > car gas other wise it will stall out imediatly. Even after I let the car run
                > for a half and hour by holding the gas down a little the car still can not
                > stay running.
                > There is my problem... I have been told my carb is probably clogged
                > up??? That my timing belt has been advanced or retarded just enough so that
                > this is happening??? Or that I have a clogged fuel pump even... I know you
                > cant see the car but any advice on where to start would be great.
                > Thank you,
                > J Copp
                > jcopp24@...

                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!