Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] electric fans?

  • Preston III
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
      You might verify the distance from around the edge of the fan blades
      to the shroud. If it's too large, the fan will be ineffective. It
      should be an inch or less all the way around. There is a GM 7-blade
      fan available for mechanical use.

      Investigate going to a thermostic controlled fan blade too. You
      shouldn't need the fan above 30 MPH, so why give up the horsepower
      and pay for the gasoline to spin it.

      You could also install a thermostatically controlled pusher fan in
      front of the radiator to supplement the mechanical unit.

      Verify that there is sufficient ductwork and clearances to direct
      air through the radiator and not around it when the fans need to be
      effective.

      You might also look into some kind of wetting agent for your
      coolant, as this can make a difference in marginal situations.

      Good Luck!
      Preston III

      --- fivehundocutlass <fivehundocutlass@...> wrote:

      > My 72 Cutlass runs cool when rolling but starts to creep up in
      > traffic. I have a stock cad eldorado fan with a spacer, no fan clutch.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • fivehundocutlass
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 5 6:33 PM
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com,
        "fivehundocutlass" <fivehundocutlass@y...> wrote:

        > Is anybody cooling there cad 500 with an electric fan or dual fans?
        If
        > so, what size fan and what cfm does it pull?
        >
        > My 72 Cutlass runs cool when rolling but starts to creep up in
        > traffic. I have a stock cad eldorado fan with a spacer, no fan
        clutch.
        > My radiator is a new 31 inch aluminum with dual 1.25 cores and I do
        > have a shroud. I installed a flow kooler disc in my stock water
        pump.

        I am replying to my own post. I installed dual 12 inch electric fans
        and built in shroud from an LT1 Z28 camaro 93-97. I have them
        triggered by a 195 degree temp switch mounted in my top rad hose.
        These fans pull a ton of air and cool the 500 very well. Sitting at
        idle in drive the car never saw over 200 degrees and cooled to about
        190 when the fans kicked on. I am running a 180 T stat.

        Thought somebody might benefit from my experimenting, my cad 500 is
        mild with 9 to 1 comp and a mild cam, fresh rings and bearings. also
        nice not to here that direct drive fan making all that noise.