electric fans?

  • fivehundocutlass
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
      Is anybody cooling there cad 500 with an electric fan or dual fans? If
      so, what size fan and what cfm does it pull?

      My 72 Cutlass runs cool when rolling but starts to creep up in
      traffic. I have a stock cad eldorado fan with a spacer, no fan clutch.
      My radiator is a new 31 inch aluminum with dual 1.25 cores and I do
      have a shroud. I installed a flow kooler disc in my stock water pump.
    • Preston III
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
        You might verify the distance from around the edge of the fan blades
        to the shroud. If it's too large, the fan will be ineffective. It
        should be an inch or less all the way around. There is a GM 7-blade
        fan available for mechanical use.

        Investigate going to a thermostic controlled fan blade too. You
        shouldn't need the fan above 30 MPH, so why give up the horsepower
        and pay for the gasoline to spin it.

        You could also install a thermostatically controlled pusher fan in
        front of the radiator to supplement the mechanical unit.

        Verify that there is sufficient ductwork and clearances to direct
        air through the radiator and not around it when the fans need to be
        effective.

        You might also look into some kind of wetting agent for your
        coolant, as this can make a difference in marginal situations.

        Good Luck!
        Preston III

        --- fivehundocutlass <fivehundocutlass@...> wrote:

        > My 72 Cutlass runs cool when rolling but starts to creep up in
        > traffic. I have a stock cad eldorado fan with a spacer, no fan clutch.

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • fivehundocutlass
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2005
          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com,
          "fivehundocutlass" <fivehundocutlass@y...> wrote:

          > Is anybody cooling there cad 500 with an electric fan or dual fans?
          If
          > so, what size fan and what cfm does it pull?
          >
          > My 72 Cutlass runs cool when rolling but starts to creep up in
          > traffic. I have a stock cad eldorado fan with a spacer, no fan
          clutch.
          > My radiator is a new 31 inch aluminum with dual 1.25 cores and I do
          > have a shroud. I installed a flow kooler disc in my stock water
          pump.

          I am replying to my own post. I installed dual 12 inch electric fans
          and built in shroud from an LT1 Z28 camaro 93-97. I have them
          triggered by a 195 degree temp switch mounted in my top rad hose.
          These fans pull a ton of air and cool the 500 very well. Sitting at
          idle in drive the car never saw over 200 degrees and cooled to about
          190 when the fans kicked on. I am running a 180 T stat.

          Thought somebody might benefit from my experimenting, my cad 500 is
          mild with 9 to 1 comp and a mild cam, fresh rings and bearings. also
          nice not to here that direct drive fan making all that noise.