hesistation

  • Will
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2005
      Hey, All,

      I have a 1992 Sedan Deville 4.9L FWD. Whenever the gas tank is below 7 gallons the car hesistates and slows down when going up hill. Is that the fuel level indicator not reading correctly? Please help.

      Will

    • Preston III
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2005
        There can be multiple reasons for your problem, but it's
        most likely that there's a fuel baffle in your gas tank
        that has broken loose. Now when you go up hill, the
        gas moves away from the pump suction inlet, and the engine
        gets fuel starved. You may have the same problem on tight
        corners when the fuel level is low.

        From what I've heard, if this is the problem, there really is
        no cure except to replace the fuel tank.

        If you haven't done it already, it probably wouldn't hurt to
        replace the fuel pump, strainer, and filter too. Besides, the
        only real way to know if the baffles are loose in the tank is
        to pull the fuel pump out of the tank and reach in there to
        check.

        --- Will <damage04life@...> wrote:

        > Hey, All,
        >
        > I have a 1992 Sedan Deville 4.9L FWD. Whenever the gas tank is below 7 gallons the car
        > hesistates and slows down when going up hill. Is that the fuel level indicator not reading
        > correctly? Please help.

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Steven Critchfield
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 28, 2005
          On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 11:35 -0800, Will wrote:
          > Hey, All,
          >
          > I have a 1992 Sedan Deville 4.9L FWD. Whenever the gas tank is below 7
          > gallons the car hesistates and slows down when going up hill. Is that
          > the fuel level indicator not reading correctly? Please help.

          If it is fuel related, it could be similar to the problem that my Cougar
          had. Ford had a recall on the fuel pump because it would stop providing
          enough pressure when there was low fuel. The engine would lose power
          when I rounded a corner fast or accelerated hard with less than a half
          tank of gas. Also empty moved from true empty to about 2 gallons left.

          You might want to see if there is a mechanic that can measure fuel
          pressure during a drive that encounters that problem. Otherwise, I would
          just replace the pump and see.

          --
          Steven Critchfield <yahoo@...>