Re: can i swap 425 trans in place of a 325...how?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
      Kevin,

      Gil Younger [transgo] has shift kits for the 325. I rebuilt a 325
      years ago, used his shift kit, and set the clutch packs a little
      tighter. I used a different [firmer] servo from a rwd 200 of some
      sort. Can't remember details on the servo. It was in a slightly
      warmed 403" powered '79 toronado. Barked the tires on the 1-2 shift,
      but it was tough on the 100K+ mile chain, which stretched until it
      slapped the cover. Replaced the chain and it seemed ok after that.
      The 325s use the rwd 200's internal parts, btw.
      Dave

      > thanks for the info...sounds like a lot of work...maybe i can beef
      up a 325 with a shift kit etc.

      > joe4@D... wrote:
      > You need to move the engine half an inch to the right and make
      adapters
      > between the output shafts and the axles. I think there will be a
      little body
      > work on the fire wall to make room. ...then there is the little
      stuff. But
      > it can be done; I've seen pictures.
      > If you want a FWD torque monster this is the way to go. The
      THM425 pulled
      > motorhomes around just fine. Stock they should hold 400-500 ft-lbs
      no
      > problem. In an eldo I don't think you will get that much to stick
      to the
      > ground.
      >

      > On 03-Jan-05, kp5002002 wrote:
      >

      > > will it work? what kind of adaptors will be needed? i know that
      at
      > > least one person claims to have done it before.
      >

      > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      > Send a seasonal email greeting and help others. Do good.
    • johnson kevin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
        thanks for the info  dave...do you think that a similar setup will work behind a 350hp, 500ft/lb
        cadillac 500 in a 1985 eldorado?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
          Kevin,

          Not with factory innards. The 200R4s can be modded to live behind
          some really stout turbo'd GNs, but afaik, it takes lots of costly
          aftermarket parts. A standard rebuilt 325 isn't going to last long,
          imo.
          Dave

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
            i think you're right...we have one of the top 200r4 specialty shops here locally in the Houston, Tx area...i'm going to check with them about the 325.