Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] can i swap 425 trans in place of a 325...how?

  • johnson kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
      thanks for the info...sounds like a lot of work...maybe i can beef up a 325 with a shift kit etc.

      joe4@... wrote:

          You need to move the engine half an inch to the right and make adapters
      between the output shafts and the axles. I think there will be a little body
      work on the fire wall to make room. ...then there is the little stuff. But
      it can be done; I've seen pictures.
          If you want a FWD torque monster this is the way to go. The THM425 pulled
      motorhomes around just fine. Stock they should hold 400-500 ft-lbs no
      problem. In an eldo I don't think you will get that much to stick to the
      ground.

      On 03-Jan-05, kp5002002 wrote:

      > will it work?  what kind of adaptors will be needed?  i know that at
      > least one person claims to have done it before.

      Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
        Kevin,

        Gil Younger [transgo] has shift kits for the 325. I rebuilt a 325
        years ago, used his shift kit, and set the clutch packs a little
        tighter. I used a different [firmer] servo from a rwd 200 of some
        sort. Can't remember details on the servo. It was in a slightly
        warmed 403" powered '79 toronado. Barked the tires on the 1-2 shift,
        but it was tough on the 100K+ mile chain, which stretched until it
        slapped the cover. Replaced the chain and it seemed ok after that.
        The 325s use the rwd 200's internal parts, btw.
        Dave

        > thanks for the info...sounds like a lot of work...maybe i can beef
        up a 325 with a shift kit etc.

        > joe4@D... wrote:
        > You need to move the engine half an inch to the right and make
        adapters
        > between the output shafts and the axles. I think there will be a
        little body
        > work on the fire wall to make room. ...then there is the little
        stuff. But
        > it can be done; I've seen pictures.
        > If you want a FWD torque monster this is the way to go. The
        THM425 pulled
        > motorhomes around just fine. Stock they should hold 400-500 ft-lbs
        no
        > problem. In an eldo I don't think you will get that much to stick
        to the
        > ground.
        >

        > On 03-Jan-05, kp5002002 wrote:
        >

        > > will it work? what kind of adaptors will be needed? i know that
        at
        > > least one person claims to have done it before.
        >

        > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Service.

        > Send a seasonal email greeting and help others. Do good.
      • johnson kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
          thanks for the info  dave...do you think that a similar setup will work behind a 350hp, 500ft/lb
          cadillac 500 in a 1985 eldorado?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
            Kevin,

            Not with factory innards. The 200R4s can be modded to live behind
            some really stout turbo'd GNs, but afaik, it takes lots of costly
            aftermarket parts. A standard rebuilt 325 isn't going to last long,
            imo.
            Dave

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
              i think you're right...we have one of the top 200r4 specialty shops here locally in the Houston, Tx area...i'm going to check with them about the 325.