can i swap 425 trans in place of a 325...how?

  • kp5002002
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
      will it work? what kind of adaptors will be needed? i know that at
      least one person claims to have done it before.
    • joe4@DigArts.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
        You need to move the engine half an inch to the right and make adapters
        between the output shafts and the axles. I think there will be a little body
        work on the fire wall to make room. ...then there is the little stuff. But
        it can be done; I've seen pictures.
        If you want a FWD torque monster this is the way to go. The THM425 pulled
        motorhomes around just fine. Stock they should hold 400-500 ft-lbs no
        problem. In an eldo I don't think you will get that much to stick to the
        ground.

        On 03-Jan-05, kp5002002 wrote:

        > will it work? what kind of adaptors will be needed? i know that at
        > least one person claims to have done it before.

        Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
      • johnson kevin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2005
          thanks for the info...sounds like a lot of work...maybe i can beef up a 325 with a shift kit etc.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2005
            Kevin,

            Gil Younger [transgo] has shift kits for the 325. I rebuilt a 325
            years ago, used his shift kit, and set the clutch packs a little
            tighter. I used a different [firmer] servo from a rwd 200 of some
            sort. Can't remember details on the servo. It was in a slightly
            warmed 403" powered '79 toronado. Barked the tires on the 1-2 shift,
            but it was tough on the 100K+ mile chain, which stretched until it
            slapped the cover. Replaced the chain and it seemed ok after that.
            The 325s use the rwd 200's internal parts, btw.
            Dave

            > thanks for the info...sounds like a lot of work...maybe i can beef
            up a 325 with a shift kit etc.

            > joe4@D... wrote:
            > You need to move the engine half an inch to the right and make
            adapters
            > between the output shafts and the axles. I think there will be a
            little body
            > work on the fire wall to make room. ...then there is the little
            stuff. But
            > it can be done; I've seen pictures.
            > If you want a FWD torque monster this is the way to go. The
            THM425 pulled
            > motorhomes around just fine. Stock they should hold 400-500 ft-lbs
            no
            > problem. In an eldo I don't think you will get that much to stick
            to the
            > ground.
            >

            > On 03-Jan-05, kp5002002 wrote:
            >

            > > will it work? what kind of adaptors will be needed? i know that
            at
            > > least one person claims to have done it before.
            >

            > Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Service.

            > Send a seasonal email greeting and help others. Do good.
          • johnson kevin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
              thanks for the info  dave...do you think that a similar setup will work behind a 350hp, 500ft/lb
              cadillac 500 in a 1985 eldorado?

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
                Kevin,

                Not with factory innards. The 200R4s can be modded to live behind
                some really stout turbo'd GNs, but afaik, it takes lots of costly
                aftermarket parts. A standard rebuilt 325 isn't going to last long,
                imo.
                Dave

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005
                  i think you're right...we have one of the top 200r4 specialty shops here locally in the Houston, Tx area...i'm going to check with them about the 325.