Anyone ever put any thought into a RWD 85'eldo?

  • mpascino_ny
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2005
      I have always gotten a kick out of the FWD torque monster, but I keep
      asking myself if a RWD eldo is feasible. I have toasted 8 or so 325-
      3254l transmissions over the last 4 years. I really want to keep the
      car daily drivable. Often I find it is at the point where the power
      can't get planted down to the ground. Even if I shoe-horned a TH425
      between the frame rails I wouldn't be too much better off, and I
      would loose the OD on long trips. Anyone have any input? I want to
      stick with the eldo, mostly because most people do not suspect much
      from them,heh.....
    • johnson kevin

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
          do you have a big block in your car?...I am thinking of installing a
          500 into a 1985 eldorado...i have a 500 from a 1975 model fleetwood
          ...i have installed an mt10 cam...i expect 350-380hp and about 500lbs
          of torque depending on if i can use the edelbrock intake that i have.
          ..i have heard that it is a tight fit.
          --- In
          Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "mpascino_ny"
          <mpascino@a...> wrote:

          > I have always gotten a kick out of the FWD torque monster, but I
          keep
          > asking myself if a RWD eldo is feasible. I have toasted 8 or so
          325-
          > 3254l transmissions over the last 4 years. I really want to keep
          the
          > car daily drivable. Often I find it is at the point where the
          power
          > can't get planted down to the ground. Even if I shoe-horned a
          TH425
          > between the frame rails I wouldn't be too much better off, and I
          > would loose the OD on long trips. Anyone have any input? I want
          > stick with the eldo, mostly because most people do not suspect
          much
          > from them,heh.....
        • kp5002002
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
            i got my numbers from desktop dyno based on the cam spec card that i
            got with the cam.

            --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "kp5002002"
            <kp5002002@y...> wrote:

            > do you have a big block in your car?...I am thinking of installing
            > 500 into a 1985 eldorado...i have a 500 from a 1975 model fleetwood
            > ...i have installed an mt10 cam...i expect 350-380hp and about
            500lbs
            > of torque depending on if i can use the edelbrock intake that i
            have.
            > ..i have heard that it is a tight fit.
            > --- In
            > Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "mpascino_ny"
            > <mpascino@a...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have always gotten a kick out of the FWD torque monster, but I
            > keep
            > > asking myself if a RWD eldo is feasible. I have toasted 8 or so
            > 325-
            > > 3254l transmissions over the last 4 years. I really want to
            keep
            > the
            > > car daily drivable. Often I find it is at the point where the
            > power
            > > can't get planted down to the ground. Even if I shoe-horned a
            > TH425
            > > between the frame rails I wouldn't be too much better off, and I
            > > would loose the OD on long trips. Anyone have any input? I want
            > > stick with the eldo, mostly because most people do not suspect
            > much
            > > from them,heh.....
          • mpascino_ny
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
              Can't see your pic... I have a 403 olds motor going in the car, with
              the aluminum multiport injection and an MS programable EFI computer.
              Currently I have a 350 olds motor in the car with all the fixins
              while the 403 is being rebuilt. Even with the 350 it's almost
              pointless at times. I don't know how else to put it, but I $#&@!
              hate the 325-4l trans for performance. I've been able to make them
              survive a bit longer over time but the only one I have ever had that
              shifted decently was one I spent $1700 for. That one only lasted a
              few months.....

              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, johnson
              kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
              > what kind of engine are you currently running in your el dog?
              > i am thinking about buying the '85 model in the attached photo.
              > mpascino_ny <mpascino@a...> wrote:
              > I have always gotten a kick out of the FWD torque monster, but I
              keep
              > asking myself if a RWD eldo is feasible. I have toasted 8 or so
              325-
              > 3254l transmissions over the last 4 years. I really want to keep
              the
              > car daily drivable. Often I find it is at the point where the
              power
              > can't get planted down to the ground. Even if I shoe-horned a
              TH425
              > between the frame rails I wouldn't be too much better off, and I
              > would loose the OD on long trips. Anyone have any input? I want to
              > stick with the eldo, mostly because most people do not suspect much
              > from them,heh.....
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

              > Jazz up your holiday email with celebrity designs. Learn more.
            • mpascino_ny
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2005
                Fitting the engine into the car is a bolt in install. Get all the
                brackets from a 368 eldorado or sevile. The blocks are the same
                externally for the most part. Once you rip all the garbage out of
                the engine compartment and put the 500 in it will almost look like
                the engine is smaller.... Take my advise though, you will be able to
                ruin transmissions on command if you use the 325-4l. If you are
                series about doing it, get a 425 trans from an early eldo and put it
                in. It's a lot of work but it will be fun right? I have all the
                parts sitting in the garage, it's just one of those things I"haven't
                got around to"....

                <kp5002002@y...> wrote:

                > do you have a big block in your car?...I am thinking of installing
                > 500 into a 1985 eldorado...i have a 500 from a 1975 model fleetwood
                > ...i have installed an mt10 cam...i expect 350-380hp and about
                500lbs
                > of torque depending on if i can use the edelbrock intake that i
                have.
                > ..i have heard that it is a tight fit.
                > --- In
                > Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "mpascino_ny"
                > <mpascino@a...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have always gotten a kick out of the FWD torque monster, but I
                > keep
                > > asking myself if a RWD eldo is feasible. I have toasted 8 or so
                > 325-
                > > 3254l transmissions over the last 4 years. I really want to keep
                > the
                > > car daily drivable. Often I find it is at the point where the
                > power
                > > can't get planted down to the ground. Even if I shoe-horned a
                > TH425
                > > between the frame rails I wouldn't be too much better off, and I
                > > would loose the OD on long trips. Anyone have any input? I want
                > > stick with the eldo, mostly because most people do not suspect
                > much
                > > from them,heh.....
              • johnson kevin
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2005