ID Cadillac engine

  • Jerry Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
      I'm looking at purchasing a 1970 cadillac 500 engine and asked the
      buyer to verify the block and head casting numbers.
      He provided this information:
      Block 4495200
      Head 1197902
      Are these numbers consistent with the 69-70 high compression
      Cadillac engines? Thanks for your assistance.
      Jerry Brown
    • Pollorey
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
        How much is he asking?

        I'm looking at purchasing a 1970 cadillac 500 engine and asked the
        buyer to verify the block and head casting numbers.
        He provided this information:
        Block 4495200
        Head 1197902
        Are these numbers consistent with the 69-70 high compression
        Cadillac engines? Thanks for your assistance.
        Jerry Brown

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Tom McKenna
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
          Heck of a deal if it is a good one!!!

          $200

          I'm looking at purchasing a 1970 cadillac 500 engine
          Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
        • Jerry Brown
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
            $200

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 29, 2004
              Two weak cylinders on compression test so its likely a rebuild core
              Jerry

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                  Thanks,apparently engine was in a vehicle and running when tested.

                   but can anyone verify the casting numbers as being a 500 and the high compression 69-70 heads? head # 1197902, block # 4495200
                  Jerry

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 30, 2004
                    try posting this at www.500cid.com
                  • Tom McKenna
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 31, 2004
                       Jerry - go back and search in the archives for the list - this came up a year or so ago I recall, and one of the members did outline how to get close at least - I may be wrong on this, but I think the only true way is to take the heads off and visually check them and the pistons to see what you have - I know it was discussed at length.  Hope that helps

                      Tom