RE: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: The '49-'62 V8... anything out there?

  • Pollorey
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
      Doesn't sound like a bad price.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Jerry Brown [mailto:jerome@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 11:01 PM
      To: Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: The '49-'62 V8...
      anything out there?

      You have to be an old guy to remember crankcase breathers. All the cars had
      them until the smog nazis took control. Actually no one knew any better than
      to let the vapors out. It relieved pressure in the crankcase from blowby on
      the cylinders. Now of course that is all handled and recycled back through
      the intake again and then out the exhaust. no doubt better now for our
      lungs. It used to be a really easy way to check engine condition to just put
      your hand over the breather tube with the engine at idle and if you felt the
      pressure you knew there was too much blow by. Rocker arm covers were also
      vented directly to the air back then.
      Jerry Brown (an old guy)

      PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe. Engine tests
      out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good. Seller wants
      $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a good buy
      or not. Any advice?

      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
        I'm not an old guy and I know what a road vent tube is.

        That's not a bad price for a decent, even rebuildable, Caddy motor. It seems
        that alot of it depends on where you live. In my area there's not much
        demand, so prices are quite low. I've bought several for $100 or even 'you
        take it out, it's yours'

        Scott

        > You have to be an old guy to remember crankcase breathers. All the cars
        > had
        > them until the smog nazis took control. Actually no one knew any better
        > than
        > to let the vapors out. It relieved pressure in the crankcase from blowby
        > on
        > the cylinders. Now of course that is all handled and recycled back through
        > the intake again and then out the exhaust. no doubt better now for our
        > lungs. It used to be a really easy way to check engine condition to just
        > put
        > your hand over the breather tube with the engine at idle and if you felt
        > the
        > pressure you knew there was too much blow by. Rocker arm covers were also
        > vented directly to the air back then.
        > Jerry Brown (an old guy)
        >
        > PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe. Engine tests
        > out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good. Seller
        > wants
        > $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a good buy
        > or not. Any advice?

      • jvandecreek25
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
          > Jerry Brown (an old guy)
          >
          > PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe.
          Engine tests
          > out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good.
          Seller wants
          > $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a
          good buy
          > or not. Any advice?

          That's not a bad price if it is complete, if you have to spend
          extra to replace missing accessories, like manifolds, brackets and
          pulleys, the price could easily double, so try to find as complete a
          package as you can, Does it include the trans? most DeVills (RWD)
          will come with the trans, but Eldos usually don't.
        • Jerry Brown
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
            PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe.
            Engine tests
            > out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good.
            Seller wants
            > $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a
            good buy
            > or not. Any advice?

            That's not a bad price if it is complete, if you have to spend
            extra to replace missing accessories, like manifolds, brackets and
            pulleys, the price could easily double, so try to find as complete a
            package as you can, Does it include the trans? most DeVills (RWD)
            will come with the trans, but Eldos usually don't.

            Its complete right down to A/C compressor, alternator, belts, carb,
            manifolds and some wiring. No transmission but that is no problem as I have
            a recently rebuilt TH400 from a 74 472 engine that is a basket case. I
            assume the bell housing is the same whether DeVille or Eldorado. Am I
            correct?

            I looked up the HP and Torque for this engine and have to say its less than
            impressive for the displacement. I can see why so many go to higher
            compression, performance cam, headers and different intake.

            Nother question: Is it acceptable practice to mill the heads to raise
            compression a point to a point-and-a-half? If so do you have to go to
            different length pushrods or will there still be sufficient clearance
            between valves and piston? I'm looking for about 9.5:1 CR to help out
            performance. I know the best way to go is usually different pistons but I'm
            trying to keep the costs reasonable.

            Thanks. You guys have been great with the information and advice.

            Jerry Brown
          • jvandecreek25
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry
              Brown" <jerome@p...> wrote:
              > PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe.
              > Engine tests
              > > out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good.
              > Seller wants
              > > $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a
              > good buy
              > > or not. Any advice?
              >
              > That's not a bad price if it is complete, if you have to spend
              > extra to replace missing accessories, like manifolds, brackets and
              > pulleys, the price could easily double, so try to find as complete
              > package as you can, Does it include the trans? most DeVills (RWD)
              > will come with the trans, but Eldos usually don't.
              >

              > Its complete right down to A/C compressor, alternator, belts, carb,
              > manifolds and some wiring. No transmission but that is no problem
              as I have
              > a recently rebuilt TH400 from a 74 472 engine that is a basket
              case. I
              > assume the bell housing is the same whether DeVille or Eldorado.
              Am I
              > correct?
              >
              > I looked up the HP and Torque for this engine and have to say its
              less than
              > impressive for the displacement. I can see why so many go to higher
              > compression, performance cam, headers and different intake.
              >
              > Nother question: Is it acceptable practice to mill the heads to
              raise
              > compression a point to a point-and-a-half? If so do you have to go
              > different length pushrods or will there still be sufficient
              clearance
              > between valves and piston? I'm looking for about 9.5:1 CR to help
              out
              > performance. I know the best way to go is usually different
              pistons but I'm
              > trying to keep the costs reasonable.
              >
              > Thanks. You guys have been great with the information and advice.
              >
              > Jerry Brown
              Don't worry too much about the seemingly low hp. ratings, in actual
              performance in a light vehicle there is not of much noticable
              difference, you could mill the heads but a better choice is to swap
              on a set of 425 heads, compression will be about 10:5 and will give
              you and easy 40 hp more, not the best breathing for all out racing,
              but fine up to around 4500 rpm, making for strong street performance
              cheap, next best change is a good cam, then an Edelbrock intake.
              Your 472 Trans will bolt right up.
            • Jerry Brown

                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
                  Brown" <jerome@p...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for the additional information re. 425 heads on 500 engine.
                  Are the
                  > differences in the combustion chamber so that I don't need to
                  change out
                  > valve train etc.?

                  The late 500 heads have 120cc chambers, while the 425 heads have
                  96cc chambers, this is where the increase in compression comes from.
                  The 425 head has the same valve sizes, and the same intake and
                  exhaust ports as the late 500 head, the factory did remove some
                  weight by opening up the area where the push-rods pass through, but
                  this change has no effect on performance or durability.
                  Earlier '69-'73 heads do have better, more direct exhaust ports and
                  work better on a race type engine, but the compression goes to over
                  12:1 when used with the flat top pistons of a '74-'76 500(and 472)
                  and these stock cast pistons are prone to disintegrating at those
                  compression ratios, this combination is not at all streetable on
                  available pump gas.
                  So for "Bang for the buck",
                  Install the 425 heads, use a 425 head gasket(can be an old used
                  one) to locate the positions of the extra steam holes that will need
                  to be drilled in the block deck of the 500, a 3/8" electric drill
                  with the appropriate size bit is all that will be required, assemble
                  the heads to the block using 500 head gaskets. no other
                  modifications or non stock parts are needed.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 11, 2004
                    Jerry,

                    The '74-'76 500s have 120+ cc chambers and a very small dish. If the
                    bores look good, you could just deck the block for a .040" or so
                    assembled quench, and whack the heads to get to *maybe* 9.5-1. Fyi -
                    KB makes no dish flat tops for it if it needs bored [which I doubt it
                    will].

                    Another option would be dished KB designed for the early heads. They
                    give 10-2-1 or so with the '68-'73 heads [76cc]. Another option is to
                    use 107cc 425 heads on your shortblock. They'll put you a little over
                    9.5-1. The 425 heads don't flow as well as yours, but a little work
                    and they'll do ok. The 76cc heads flow better than yours, btw, but
                    not much in stock form. More fyi - 2.11"/1.66&1.77" pontiac valves
                    fit the 107 and 120cc heads perfectly. For larger valves on the 76cc,
                    aftermarket valves are available from the caddy
                    parts vendors.
                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 11, 2004
                      jvandecreek25,

                      The 425 heads will not gain near that much in compression. It has
                      been said that they are 96cc, but I believe they are more like 107cc
                      or so. That figure comes from experts that I trust.

                      CR on a stock engine can vary. Assuming a stock late 500 is 8-1, and
                      the heads are 120cc, the 13cc reduction in combustion space would
                      raise the CR to 8.7-1. Assuming the stock engine was 8.5-1, the
                      change would give 9.25-1.

                      It would take a change in combustion space of apx 27.5cc to raise
                      compression of an 8.5-1 engine to 10.5-1.
                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
                        brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:

                        > jvandecreek25,
                        >
                        > The 425 heads will not gain near that much in compression. It has
                        > been said that they are 96cc, but I believe they are more like
                        107cc
                        > or so. That figure comes from experts that I trust.
                        >
                        > CR on a stock engine can vary. Assuming a stock late 500 is 8-1,
                        and
                        > the heads are 120cc, the 13cc reduction in combustion space would
                        > raise the CR to 8.7-1. Assuming the stock engine was 8.5-1, the
                        > change would give 9.25-1.
                        >
                        > It would take a change in combustion space of apx 27.5cc to raise
                        > compression of an 8.5-1 engine to 10.5-1.
                        > Dave

                        After I posted I realised I had over-shot on the amount of
                        compression increase, the figure I gave was one I had seen posted
                        elsewhere,and I never took time to confirm it.
                        However the figure for the 40 hp increase did come directly from Al
                        Betker of MTS,one of the most experienced Cadillac builders to be
                        found.
                        If this 40 hp improvement comes from an increase to only 9.25-1,
                        then so much the better.
                      • jvandecreek25
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                          brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:

                          > Jerry,
                          >
                          > The '74-'76 500s have 120+ cc chambers and a very small dish. If
                          the
                          > bores look good, you could just deck the block for a .040" or so
                          > assembled quench, and whack the heads to get to *maybe* 9.5-1.
                          Fyi -
                          > KB makes no dish flat tops for it if it needs bored [which I doubt
                          it
                          > will].
                          >
                          > Another option would be dished KB designed for the early heads.
                          They
                          > give 10-2-1 or so with the '68-'73 heads [76cc]. Another option is
                          > use 107cc 425 heads on your shortblock. They'll put you a little
                          over
                          > 9.5-1. The 425 heads don't flow as well as yours, but a little
                          work
                          > and they'll do ok. The 76cc heads flow better than yours, btw, but
                          > not much in stock form. More fyi - 2.11"/1.66&1.77" pontiac valves
                          > fit the 107 and 120cc heads perfectly. For larger valves on the
                          76cc,
                          > aftermarket valves are available from the caddy
                          > parts vendors.
                          > Dave

                          I'm looking for about 9.5:1 CR to help out performance. I know the
                          best way to go is usually different pistons but I'm trying to keep
                          the costs reasonable.
                          Jerry Brown

                          Jerry wanted to keep the costs reasonable, to "deck the block "
                          will require a complete disassembly, and is hardly a way to keep the
                          cost down, and as he stated he did not want to get into piston
                          changes.
                          I made my recommendation based on the premise that he wanted an
                          inexpensive power increase for a engine that was going into a street
                          rod, no it is not the 'ultimate' performance build up, but if it is
                          not being used as a race car, there is no need to pursue a lot of
                          expensive modifications that are unnecessary for strong street
                          performance. Jessie
                        • Jerry Brown
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                            Actually I was speculating about just milling the 500 heads to get the
                            increased compression ratio. Since the engine would be out of the car its no
                            big deal to pull the heads and have a valve job done and to mill them for
                            increased compression...So long as you don't booger up the valve train
                            ratios. It seems to me that if you mill the heads, say .040, that it would
                            drop the head lower with respect to the valve train i.e., closer to the
                            center of the camshaft, and might result in any of a number of unintended
                            results.
                            In order to keep everything in the same ratio you would have to account for
                            being .040 closer. Seems to me that pushrods that are .040 shorter should
                            compensate or taking .040 off the top of the valve stem might as long as the
                            keepers would still fit. Doesn't seem right that you wouldn't have to do
                            anything but mill to do the job right. Likewise decking the block would have
                            the same result of moving the head closer to the center of the cam. I guess
                            the right question is can milling or decking be done without unintended
                            catastrophic consequences and if so how should one compensate for the
                            changes.

                            Jerry Brown

                            > The '74-'76 500s have 120+ cc chambers and a very small dish. If
                            the
                            > bores look good, you could just deck the block for a .040" or so
                            > assembled quench, and whack the heads to get to *maybe* 9.5-1.
                            Fyi -
                            > KB makes no dish flat tops for it if it needs bored [which I doubt
                            it
                            > will].
                            >
                            > Another option would be dished KB designed for the early heads.
                            They
                            > give 10-2-1 or so with the '68-'73 heads [76cc]. Another option is
                            > use 107cc 425 heads on your shortblock. They'll put you a little
                            over
                            > 9.5-1. The 425 heads don't flow as well as yours, but a little
                            work
                            > and they'll do ok. The 76cc heads flow better than yours, btw, but
                            > not much in stock form. More fyi - 2.11"/1.66&1.77" pontiac valves
                            > fit the 107 and 120cc heads perfectly. For larger valves on the
                            76cc,
                            > aftermarket valves are available from the caddy
                            > parts vendors.
                            > Dave

                            I'm looking for about 9.5:1 CR to help out performance. I know the
                            best way to go is usually different pistons but I'm trying to keep
                            the costs reasonable.
                            Jerry Brown

                            Jerry wanted to keep the costs reasonable, to "deck the block "
                            will require a complete disassembly, and is hardly a way to keep the
                            cost down, and as he stated he did not want to get into piston
                            changes.
                            I made my recommendation based on the premise that he wanted an
                            inexpensive power increase for a engine that was going into a street
                            rod, no it is not the 'ultimate' performance build up, but if it is
                            not being used as a race car, there is no need to pursue a lot of
                            expensive modifications that are unnecessary for strong street
                            performance. Jessie

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                              jvandecreek25,

                              [bottom post]

                              <dbrode@h...> wrote:

                              > > jvandecreek25,
                              > >
                              > > The 425 heads will not gain near that much in compression. It has
                              > > been said that they are 96cc, but I believe they are more like
                              > 107cc or so. That figure comes from experts that I trust.
                              > >
                              > > CR on a stock engine can vary. Assuming a stock late 500 is 8-1,
                              > and
                              > > the heads are 120cc, the 13cc reduction in combustion space would
                              > > raise the CR to 8.7-1. Assuming the stock engine was 8.5-1, the
                              > > change would give 9.25-1.
                              > >
                              > > It would take a change in combustion space of apx 27.5cc to raise
                              > > compression of an 8.5-1 engine to 10.5-1.
                              > > Dave
                              >
                              > After I posted I realised I had over-shot on the amount of
                              > compression increase, the figure I gave was one I had seen posted
                              > elsewhere,and I never took time to confirm it.
                              > However the figure for the 40 hp increase did come directly from
                              Al
                              > Betker of MTS,one of the most experienced Cadillac builders to be
                              > found.
                              > If this 40 hp improvement comes from an increase to only 9.25-1,
                              > then so much the better.

                              I have never CC'd a pair myself. Al claims they're 96cc, iirc. Other
                              experts claim 107cc.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                Jessie,

                                [bottom]

                                <snip

                                > Jerry wanted to keep the costs reasonable, to "deck the block "
                                > will require a complete disassembly, and is hardly a way to keep
                                the
                                > cost down, and as he stated he did not want to get into piston
                                > changes.
                                > I made my recommendation based on the premise that he wanted an
                                > inexpensive power increase for a engine that was going into a
                                street
                                > rod, no it is not the 'ultimate' performance build up, but if it is
                                > not being used as a race car, there is no need to pursue a lot of
                                > expensive modifications that are unnecessary for strong street
                                > performance. Jessie

                                Well, the reason I suggested decking the block for a tight quench and
                                whacking the heads a bit, was because he said that money was an
                                issue. Decking the block 20-30 thou costs just $65-$80 around here.
                                Cutting the heads .050" or so would be a few more bucks, but not too
                                much. Of course, once it's apart, hot tanmk, cam bearings, etc would
                                cost him some. Personally, I would want to ring and bearing it
                                anyway.

                                The 425 head swap might be a much better bang per buck, I admit. As I
                                see it, for a '74-'76 500, other than the 425 heads, the only other
                                affordable option is to change to the dished KBs and 76cc heads to
                                get any decent compression increase. Even the true flat top KBs on
                                the 120cc heads aren't going to gain much over the very small dish
                                stock late pistons.
                                Dave
                              • Preston III
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                  I've never decked the block, or shaved the heads of a Caddy
                                  engine, but if it's anything like a Chevrolet small block,
                                  there's a limit that you can go before you have to do some
                                  machining to the intake manifold too. I expect that if you
                                  go past a certain extent, then you'll be in for spending
                                  even a few dollars more!

                                  Don't forget to inquire as to whether the changing geometry,
                                  and clearances of the intake/head surfaces may require a
                                  specific gasket, such as something extra thick.

                                  Also, in a true performance application, you may consider
                                  port matching the intake manifold to the intake side of
                                  the cylinder heads, as this is the dimension that will change
                                  as you go shaving things.

                                  Preston III

                                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                    Jerry,

                                    I've only seen a few late 500s apart, but they all were pretty decent
                                    as far as deck to piston. Assuming you have eom pistons and they're
                                    good shape, and a 40-50 thou gasket is used, a .020" to *maybe .025"
                                    deck cut will give you a nice tight assembled quench. El-cheapo cast
                                    replacement pistons are often 20+ thou shorter than oem. I would
                                    shoot for 040" assembled quench, regardless. Experts use either
                                    Felpro of Corteco gaskets. The Coretcos are a little better, but
                                    thicker, btw. .044"-.048" installed, iirc. You may need to stick the
                                    piston out of the hole a bit wioth those. The 472/500 heads can be
                                    cut way down. 050" is nothing on those, afaik. The 425 heads' deck
                                    isn't as thick, and experts say not to cut them much over 040".

                                    As far as rocker geometry, you can use shorter pushrods. You can also
                                    have a good stock cam re-ground, and that'll reduce the base circle a
                                    bit. Maybe enough to make up for the head/block cut. Most of the
                                    caddy parts vendors offer re-ground cams, btw, but most grinders will
                                    do one for you if you have a decent stock core. A note on that; most
                                    grinders want to use profiles with 10+ extra exhaust duration. Afaik,
                                    it's not needed on a caddy, esp with the 76cc heads. Even the 120cc
                                    heads' stock exhaust port flows well enough to allow same duration on
                                    intake and exh. Some experts even say that when ported, the caddy
                                    heads flow so well on exhaust side that they use a little less
                                    exhaust duration!

                                    As far as higher lift cams, you may need to snip a little from the
                                    top of the guides for clearance there. The '68 up seals are a joke.
                                    You can use the normal old umbrella valve seals from the '67 429
                                    caddys. SBchevy springs can be used, but you'll need to get creative
                                    with shimming. The caddy springs are very tall. The new behive
                                    springs offered for fords and LS1 chevs work better, with a retainer
                                    change, as they fit the caddy spring pad, and are taller than std sbc
                                    springs. If you have a freindly machine shop, they'll probably have
                                    some larger diameter used retainers from something that'll fit the
                                    behive springs. Just make sure they fit with the 11/32" valve
                                    keepers. Unlike the sbc or behive springs, larger o.d. springs will
                                    require pricey spring seats and more machine work. If you don't have
                                    a machine shop that you can trust, you might want to buy a spring
                                    package from one of the vendors. If you use stock rockers, choose a
                                    cam grind with nice slow ramps, as quick ramps are hard on the stock
                                    stuff. When cam shopping, make sure to tell them that you want slooow
                                    ramps. Fast ramps are hard on the stock T pedistals and rockers.
                                    Dave

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                      Preston,

                                      Good point. I've decked a couple of them, but only 10-20. There was
                                      no need to cut the intake, or intake side of head. The intake may
                                      ride up on the heads a wee bit, but unless a large amount of mat'l
                                      was cut, the ports can be re-aligned when port matching.

                                      If it was a problem, the intake could be cut, or the intake side of
                                      the head, although the valve cover bolt hole bosses there make it a
                                      bit tricky.

                                      I know that this issue is common, as the .015" shorter 6.735" forged
                                      olds rods are often used in the caddy. Another old combo is 7" olds
                                      rods and 403" olds pistons. That combo is 40-50 thou short, so I'm
                                      sure it's been addressed.
                                      Dave

                                      III <prestoniii2002@y...> wrote:
                                      > I've never decked the block, or shaved the heads of a Caddy
                                      > engine, but if it's anything like a Chevrolet small block,
                                      > there's a limit that you can go before you have to do some
                                      > machining to the intake manifold too. I expect that if you
                                      > go past a certain extent, then you'll be in for spending
                                      > even a few dollars more!
                                      >
                                      > Don't forget to inquire as to whether the changing geometry,
                                      > and clearances of the intake/head surfaces may require a
                                      > specific gasket, such as something extra thick.
                                      >
                                      > Also, in a true performance application, you may consider
                                      > port matching the intake manifold to the intake side of
                                      > the cylinder heads, as this is the dimension that will change
                                      > as you go shaving things.
                                      >

                                      > Preston III
                                      <snipped