The '49-'62 V8... anything out there?

  • dave
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 8, 2004
      Greetings, all...

      i was just curious if anyone is doing anything
      interesting with the 331/365/390 motots. It was my
      understanding that they were fairly competitive when
      they first came out, so it surprises me to have not
      yet found anything out there for them. No intakes, no
      cams... i came across a 1950s-vintage McCulloch/Paxton
      centrifugal blower on flEabag once, but that's been
      pretty much it. Does anyone have any leads? i'm
      working on a '62 hearse, so torque is key (=

      Cheers,

      ...dave

      =====
      '63-'64 Chrysler fans- we have a home! Check out
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/63-64Chryslers
      - -
      "If elected mayor, my first act will be to kill the whole lot of you, and burn your town to cinders!"

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • jvandecreek25
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 8, 2004
        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, dave
        <inanno@y...> wrote:
        > Greetings, all...
        >
        > i was just curious if anyone is doing anything
        > interesting with the 331/365/390 motots. It was my
        > understanding that they were fairly competitive when
        > they first came out, so it surprises me to have not
        > yet found anything out there for them. No intakes, no
        > cams...

        I'm installing a '62 390 into my '48 Studebaker pickup, and have
        ran up against the same problem, I do have the factory Tri-Power and
        2x4 manifolds, would like to get an aluminum 2x4 intake to save some
        weight, and have been looking for years now, the last one I saw
        advertised went for over a $1000!
        What makes it extra ridiculous is that for my 'lowly' Studebaker V-
        8, I can get brand new aluminum intakes, water manifolds, pulleys,
        even aluminum cyl. heads ready to bolt on and run and all at prices
        quite reasonable.
        Its really kind of wierd given how popular the early Caddy engines
        were in rodding and engine swapping, that about all that's to be
        found for them any more are a few stock rebuild parts, this for a
        engine that in its day was a 100 times more popular and respected
        than the Studebaker was.
        It is obvious that the Stude fans retained their enthusiasim for
        the only engine they had, while the Cad fans moved on to the bigger
        472-500 series, and everything is being produced now is for these.
        At least at this point, the 331-390-429 engines have "fallen
        through the cracks" of hot rodding, as have the early Olds Rocket's,
        although they both still get a lot of lip service in the hot rodding
        community, virtually no company produces anything for them.
        Only question is, will they just die off and fade from memory, or
        will someone step up and make the parts available to return them to
        being a viable choice in hot rodding?
        I had 2 500s that I could have built for my rod, but chose to go
        with 390 anyway because I wanted a 'period' rod, like I remembered
        from the '50s, and even with all the difficulties in finding the hop-
        up parts I want, I have no regrets.
      • dave
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 8, 2004
          Yup, sounds like we're in the same boat. i've just
          been hoping for an old aluminum single-quad intake to
          replace my corroded iron one, improve flow, and shed a
          few pounds (like it'll make a difference in a 6000lb
          car)... nothing. i considered an old Eldorado
          three-deuce setup, but i don't know that it'll give
          enough of an improvement to justify the cost and
          hassle... maybe it would with some head work, but then
          it all hits the exhaust manifolds... oh well.

          i never would have guessed that you could get aluminum
          heads for a Studebaker motor!

          There's a guy in Oregon- www.nwspeedequipment.com-
          selling finned valley pans... they should look sweet
          on a vintage rodder-style motor. Downside is that you
          give up the road draft tube... i'm not entirely sure
          of the repercussions of that. That's about the extent
          of what i've found myself... supposedly they're going
          to start producing other parts as well, but we'll see
          how that goes.

          ...dave

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Cirilian
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 8, 2004
            You'll forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the road draft tube?
            I was considering one of these finned valey covers for my "60.
            Thanks,
            Richard

            <inanno@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > is for these.
            > > At least at this point, the 331-390-429 engines
            > > have "fallen
            > > through the cracks" of hot rodding, as have the
            > > early Olds Rocket's,
            > > although they both still get a lot of lip service in
            > > the hot rodding
            > > community, virtually no company produces anything
            > > for them.
            > > Only question is, will they just die off and fade
            > > from memory, or
            > > will someone step up and make the parts available to
            > > return them to
            > > being a viable choice in hot rodding?
            >

            > =====
            > '63-'64 Chrysler fans- we have a home! Check out
            > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/63-64Chryslers
            > - -
            > "If elected mayor, my first act will be to kill the whole lot of

          • dave
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 8, 2004
              It's a long tube, about 1" diameter that runs from the
              back of the valley cover and down towards the ground.
              i believe it serves as a crankcase vent. i don't know
              if they had them on all years, but i had them on both
              my '62s, and a spare '59 motor i got.

              ...dave

              =====
              '63-'64 Chrysler fans- we have a home! Check out
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/63-64Chryslers
              - -
              "If elected mayor, my first act will be to kill the whole lot of you, and burn your town to cinders!"

              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Preston III
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 8, 2004
                The road draft tube is pre-PCV-valve technology.

                It comes from the top of the engine, and points
                toward the road, extending into the airflow
                under the car. It's function was to siphon off
                crankcase vapors when the car was in motion, and
                also serve as a place to vent pressure in the
                crankcase due to engine part failure. Most cars
                had some version prior to the mid 60's.

                Many had a wire screen somewhere near the engine
                mounting that served as a filter to keep bulk
                raw oil from pooring out of the tube. If the
                screen gets "coked" up, and plugged, the gaskets
                throughout the engine could be subjected to internal
                pressure, and oil leaks can come from everywhere as
                the pressure blows it out where it can.

                The PCV valve replaced it with a controlled sucking
                of the internal vapors into the intake manifold.

                Pretty neet idea actually.

                Preston III

                --- dave <inanno@...> wrote:

                > It's a long tube, about 1" diameter that runs from the
                > back of the valley cover and down towards the ground.
                > i believe it serves as a crankcase vent. i don't know
                > if they had them on all years, but i had them on both
                > my '62s, and a spare '59 motor i got.
                >
                > ...dave
                >

                > --- Cirilian <cirilian@...> wrote:
                >

                > > You'll forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the
                > > road draft tube?
                > > I was considering one of these finned valey covers
                > > for my "60.
                > > Thanks,
                > > Richard
                > >

                > =====
                > '63-'64 Chrysler fans- we have a home! Check out
                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/63-64Chryslers
                > - -
                > "If elected mayor, my first act will be to kill the whole lot of you, and burn your town to
                > cinders!"

                > http://my.yahoo.com

                http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
              • jvandecreek25
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 8, 2004
                  <inanno@y...> wrote:
                  > It's a long tube, about 1" diameter that runs from the
                  > back of the valley cover and down towards the ground.
                  > i believe it serves as a crankcase vent. i don't know
                  > if they had them on all years, but i had them on both
                  > my '62s, and a spare '59 motor i got.

                  My '62 is pcv equipped, looks all factory.
                • Jerry Brown
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 8, 2004
                    You have to be an old guy to remember crankcase breathers. All the cars had
                    them until the smog nazis took control. Actually no one knew any better than
                    to let the vapors out. It relieved pressure in the crankcase from blowby on
                    the cylinders. Now of course that is all handled and recycled back through
                    the intake again and then out the exhaust. no doubt better now for our
                    lungs. It used to be a really easy way to check engine condition to just put
                    your hand over the breather tube with the engine at idle and if you felt the
                    pressure you knew there was too much blow by. Rocker arm covers were also
                    vented directly to the air back then.
                    Jerry Brown (an old guy)

                    PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe. Engine tests
                    out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good. Seller wants
                    $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a good buy
                    or not. Any advice?

                    =====
                    '63-'64 Chrysler fans- we have a home! Check out
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/63-64Chryslers
                    - -
                    "If elected mayor, my first act will be to kill the whole lot of you, and
                    burn your town to cinders!"

                    The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                    http://my.yahoo.com

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Pollorey
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
                      Doesn't sound like a bad price.

                      =====
                      '63-'64 Chrysler fans- we have a home! Check out
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/63-64Chryslers
                      - -
                      "If elected mayor, my first act will be to kill the whole lot of you, and
                      burn your town to cinders!"

                      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                      http://my.yahoo.com

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Scott Pearson
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
                        I'm not an old guy and I know what a road vent tube is.

                        That's not a bad price for a decent, even rebuildable, Caddy motor. It seems
                        that alot of it depends on where you live. In my area there's not much
                        demand, so prices are quite low. I've bought several for $100 or even 'you
                        take it out, it's yours'

                        Scott

                        > You have to be an old guy to remember crankcase breathers. All the cars
                        > had
                        > them until the smog nazis took control. Actually no one knew any better
                        > than
                        > to let the vapors out. It relieved pressure in the crankcase from blowby
                        > on
                        > the cylinders. Now of course that is all handled and recycled back through
                        > the intake again and then out the exhaust. no doubt better now for our
                        > lungs. It used to be a really easy way to check engine condition to just
                        > put
                        > your hand over the breather tube with the engine at idle and if you felt
                        > the
                        > pressure you knew there was too much blow by. Rocker arm covers were also
                        > vented directly to the air back then.
                        > Jerry Brown (an old guy)
                        >
                        > PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe. Engine tests
                        > out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good. Seller
                        > wants
                        > $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a good buy
                        > or not. Any advice?

                      • jvandecreek25
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
                          > Jerry Brown (an old guy)
                          >
                          > PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe.
                          Engine tests
                          > out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good.
                          Seller wants
                          > $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a
                          good buy
                          > or not. Any advice?

                          That's not a bad price if it is complete, if you have to spend
                          extra to replace missing accessories, like manifolds, brackets and
                          pulleys, the price could easily double, so try to find as complete a
                          package as you can, Does it include the trans? most DeVills (RWD)
                          will come with the trans, but Eldos usually don't.
                        • Jerry Brown
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
                            PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe.
                            Engine tests
                            > out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good.
                            Seller wants
                            > $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a
                            good buy
                            > or not. Any advice?

                            That's not a bad price if it is complete, if you have to spend
                            extra to replace missing accessories, like manifolds, brackets and
                            pulleys, the price could easily double, so try to find as complete a
                            package as you can, Does it include the trans? most DeVills (RWD)
                            will come with the trans, but Eldos usually don't.

                            Its complete right down to A/C compressor, alternator, belts, carb,
                            manifolds and some wiring. No transmission but that is no problem as I have
                            a recently rebuilt TH400 from a 74 472 engine that is a basket case. I
                            assume the bell housing is the same whether DeVille or Eldorado. Am I
                            correct?

                            I looked up the HP and Torque for this engine and have to say its less than
                            impressive for the displacement. I can see why so many go to higher
                            compression, performance cam, headers and different intake.

                            Nother question: Is it acceptable practice to mill the heads to raise
                            compression a point to a point-and-a-half? If so do you have to go to
                            different length pushrods or will there still be sufficient clearance
                            between valves and piston? I'm looking for about 9.5:1 CR to help out
                            performance. I know the best way to go is usually different pistons but I'm
                            trying to keep the costs reasonable.

                            Thanks. You guys have been great with the information and advice.

                            Jerry Brown
                          • jvandecreek25
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
                              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry
                              Brown" <jerome@p...> wrote:
                              > PS...I'm looking at a 76 Cad 500 engine for my 36 Chev coupe.
                              > Engine tests
                              > > out at 123-128 psi on all cyl. so I'm thinking its pretty good.
                              > Seller wants
                              > > $375. I'm new to the cad engine market so don't know if this is a
                              > good buy
                              > > or not. Any advice?
                              >
                              > That's not a bad price if it is complete, if you have to spend
                              > extra to replace missing accessories, like manifolds, brackets and
                              > pulleys, the price could easily double, so try to find as complete
                              > package as you can, Does it include the trans? most DeVills (RWD)
                              > will come with the trans, but Eldos usually don't.
                              >

                              > Its complete right down to A/C compressor, alternator, belts, carb,
                              > manifolds and some wiring. No transmission but that is no problem
                              as I have
                              > a recently rebuilt TH400 from a 74 472 engine that is a basket
                              case. I
                              > assume the bell housing is the same whether DeVille or Eldorado.
                              Am I
                              > correct?
                              >
                              > I looked up the HP and Torque for this engine and have to say its
                              less than
                              > impressive for the displacement. I can see why so many go to higher
                              > compression, performance cam, headers and different intake.
                              >
                              > Nother question: Is it acceptable practice to mill the heads to
                              raise
                              > compression a point to a point-and-a-half? If so do you have to go
                              > different length pushrods or will there still be sufficient
                              clearance
                              > between valves and piston? I'm looking for about 9.5:1 CR to help
                              out
                              > performance. I know the best way to go is usually different
                              pistons but I'm
                              > trying to keep the costs reasonable.
                              >
                              > Thanks. You guys have been great with the information and advice.
                              >
                              > Jerry Brown
                              Don't worry too much about the seemingly low hp. ratings, in actual
                              performance in a light vehicle there is not of much noticable
                              difference, you could mill the heads but a better choice is to swap
                              on a set of 425 heads, compression will be about 10:5 and will give
                              you and easy 40 hp more, not the best breathing for all out racing,
                              but fine up to around 4500 rpm, making for strong street performance
                              cheap, next best change is a good cam, then an Edelbrock intake.
                              Your 472 Trans will bolt right up.
                            • Jerry Brown

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 9, 2004
                                  Brown" <jerome@p...> wrote:
                                  > Thanks for the additional information re. 425 heads on 500 engine.
                                  Are the
                                  > differences in the combustion chamber so that I don't need to
                                  change out
                                  > valve train etc.?

                                  The late 500 heads have 120cc chambers, while the 425 heads have
                                  96cc chambers, this is where the increase in compression comes from.
                                  The 425 head has the same valve sizes, and the same intake and
                                  exhaust ports as the late 500 head, the factory did remove some
                                  weight by opening up the area where the push-rods pass through, but
                                  this change has no effect on performance or durability.
                                  Earlier '69-'73 heads do have better, more direct exhaust ports and
                                  work better on a race type engine, but the compression goes to over
                                  12:1 when used with the flat top pistons of a '74-'76 500(and 472)
                                  and these stock cast pistons are prone to disintegrating at those
                                  compression ratios, this combination is not at all streetable on
                                  available pump gas.
                                  So for "Bang for the buck",
                                  Install the 425 heads, use a 425 head gasket(can be an old used
                                  one) to locate the positions of the extra steam holes that will need
                                  to be drilled in the block deck of the 500, a 3/8" electric drill
                                  with the appropriate size bit is all that will be required, assemble
                                  the heads to the block using 500 head gaskets. no other
                                  modifications or non stock parts are needed.
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 11, 2004
                                    Jerry,

                                    The '74-'76 500s have 120+ cc chambers and a very small dish. If the
                                    bores look good, you could just deck the block for a .040" or so
                                    assembled quench, and whack the heads to get to *maybe* 9.5-1. Fyi -
                                    KB makes no dish flat tops for it if it needs bored [which I doubt it
                                    will].

                                    Another option would be dished KB designed for the early heads. They
                                    give 10-2-1 or so with the '68-'73 heads [76cc]. Another option is to
                                    use 107cc 425 heads on your shortblock. They'll put you a little over
                                    9.5-1. The 425 heads don't flow as well as yours, but a little work
                                    and they'll do ok. The 76cc heads flow better than yours, btw, but
                                    not much in stock form. More fyi - 2.11"/1.66&1.77" pontiac valves
                                    fit the 107 and 120cc heads perfectly. For larger valves on the 76cc,
                                    aftermarket valves are available from the caddy
                                    parts vendors.
                                    Dave

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 11, 2004
                                      jvandecreek25,

                                      The 425 heads will not gain near that much in compression. It has
                                      been said that they are 96cc, but I believe they are more like 107cc
                                      or so. That figure comes from experts that I trust.

                                      CR on a stock engine can vary. Assuming a stock late 500 is 8-1, and
                                      the heads are 120cc, the 13cc reduction in combustion space would
                                      raise the CR to 8.7-1. Assuming the stock engine was 8.5-1, the
                                      change would give 9.25-1.

                                      It would take a change in combustion space of apx 27.5cc to raise
                                      compression of an 8.5-1 engine to 10.5-1.
                                      Dave

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "david
                                        brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:

                                        > jvandecreek25,
                                        >
                                        > The 425 heads will not gain near that much in compression. It has
                                        > been said that they are 96cc, but I believe they are more like
                                        107cc
                                        > or so. That figure comes from experts that I trust.
                                        >
                                        > CR on a stock engine can vary. Assuming a stock late 500 is 8-1,
                                        and
                                        > the heads are 120cc, the 13cc reduction in combustion space would
                                        > raise the CR to 8.7-1. Assuming the stock engine was 8.5-1, the
                                        > change would give 9.25-1.
                                        >
                                        > It would take a change in combustion space of apx 27.5cc to raise
                                        > compression of an 8.5-1 engine to 10.5-1.
                                        > Dave

                                        After I posted I realised I had over-shot on the amount of
                                        compression increase, the figure I gave was one I had seen posted
                                        elsewhere,and I never took time to confirm it.
                                        However the figure for the 40 hp increase did come directly from Al
                                        Betker of MTS,one of the most experienced Cadillac builders to be
                                        found.
                                        If this 40 hp improvement comes from an increase to only 9.25-1,
                                        then so much the better.
                                      • jvandecreek25
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                          brode" <dbrode@h...> wrote:

                                          > Jerry,
                                          >
                                          > The '74-'76 500s have 120+ cc chambers and a very small dish. If
                                          the
                                          > bores look good, you could just deck the block for a .040" or so
                                          > assembled quench, and whack the heads to get to *maybe* 9.5-1.
                                          Fyi -
                                          > KB makes no dish flat tops for it if it needs bored [which I doubt
                                          it
                                          > will].
                                          >
                                          > Another option would be dished KB designed for the early heads.
                                          They
                                          > give 10-2-1 or so with the '68-'73 heads [76cc]. Another option is
                                          > use 107cc 425 heads on your shortblock. They'll put you a little
                                          over
                                          > 9.5-1. The 425 heads don't flow as well as yours, but a little
                                          work
                                          > and they'll do ok. The 76cc heads flow better than yours, btw, but
                                          > not much in stock form. More fyi - 2.11"/1.66&1.77" pontiac valves
                                          > fit the 107 and 120cc heads perfectly. For larger valves on the
                                          76cc,
                                          > aftermarket valves are available from the caddy
                                          > parts vendors.
                                          > Dave

                                          I'm looking for about 9.5:1 CR to help out performance. I know the
                                          best way to go is usually different pistons but I'm trying to keep
                                          the costs reasonable.
                                          Jerry Brown

                                          Jerry wanted to keep the costs reasonable, to "deck the block "
                                          will require a complete disassembly, and is hardly a way to keep the
                                          cost down, and as he stated he did not want to get into piston
                                          changes.
                                          I made my recommendation based on the premise that he wanted an
                                          inexpensive power increase for a engine that was going into a street
                                          rod, no it is not the 'ultimate' performance build up, but if it is
                                          not being used as a race car, there is no need to pursue a lot of
                                          expensive modifications that are unnecessary for strong street
                                          performance. Jessie
                                        • Jerry Brown
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                            Actually I was speculating about just milling the 500 heads to get the
                                            increased compression ratio. Since the engine would be out of the car its no
                                            big deal to pull the heads and have a valve job done and to mill them for
                                            increased compression...So long as you don't booger up the valve train
                                            ratios. It seems to me that if you mill the heads, say .040, that it would
                                            drop the head lower with respect to the valve train i.e., closer to the
                                            center of the camshaft, and might result in any of a number of unintended
                                            results.
                                            In order to keep everything in the same ratio you would have to account for
                                            being .040 closer. Seems to me that pushrods that are .040 shorter should
                                            compensate or taking .040 off the top of the valve stem might as long as the
                                            keepers would still fit. Doesn't seem right that you wouldn't have to do
                                            anything but mill to do the job right. Likewise decking the block would have
                                            the same result of moving the head closer to the center of the cam. I guess
                                            the right question is can milling or decking be done without unintended
                                            catastrophic consequences and if so how should one compensate for the
                                            changes.

                                            Jerry Brown

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                              jvandecreek25,

                                              [bottom post]

                                              <dbrode@h...> wrote:

                                              > > jvandecreek25,
                                              > >
                                              > > The 425 heads will not gain near that much in compression. It has
                                              > > been said that they are 96cc, but I believe they are more like
                                              > 107cc or so. That figure comes from experts that I trust.
                                              > >
                                              > > CR on a stock engine can vary. Assuming a stock late 500 is 8-1,
                                              > and
                                              > > the heads are 120cc, the 13cc reduction in combustion space would
                                              > > raise the CR to 8.7-1. Assuming the stock engine was 8.5-1, the
                                              > > change would give 9.25-1.
                                              > >
                                              > > It would take a change in combustion space of apx 27.5cc to raise
                                              > > compression of an 8.5-1 engine to 10.5-1.
                                              > > Dave
                                              >
                                              > After I posted I realised I had over-shot on the amount of
                                              > compression increase, the figure I gave was one I had seen posted
                                              > elsewhere,and I never took time to confirm it.
                                              > However the figure for the 40 hp increase did come directly from
                                              Al
                                              > Betker of MTS,one of the most experienced Cadillac builders to be
                                              > found.
                                              > If this 40 hp improvement comes from an increase to only 9.25-1,
                                              > then so much the better.

                                              I have never CC'd a pair myself. Al claims they're 96cc, iirc. Other
                                              experts claim 107cc.
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                                Jessie,

                                                [bottom]

                                                <snip

                                                > Jerry wanted to keep the costs reasonable, to "deck the block "
                                                > will require a complete disassembly, and is hardly a way to keep
                                                the
                                                > cost down, and as he stated he did not want to get into piston
                                                > changes.
                                                > I made my recommendation based on the premise that he wanted an
                                                > inexpensive power increase for a engine that was going into a
                                                street
                                                > rod, no it is not the 'ultimate' performance build up, but if it is
                                                > not being used as a race car, there is no need to pursue a lot of
                                                > expensive modifications that are unnecessary for strong street
                                                > performance. Jessie

                                                Well, the reason I suggested decking the block for a tight quench and
                                                whacking the heads a bit, was because he said that money was an
                                                issue. Decking the block 20-30 thou costs just $65-$80 around here.
                                                Cutting the heads .050" or so would be a few more bucks, but not too
                                                much. Of course, once it's apart, hot tanmk, cam bearings, etc would
                                                cost him some. Personally, I would want to ring and bearing it
                                                anyway.

                                                The 425 head swap might be a much better bang per buck, I admit. As I
                                                see it, for a '74-'76 500, other than the 425 heads, the only other
                                                affordable option is to change to the dished KBs and 76cc heads to
                                                get any decent compression increase. Even the true flat top KBs on
                                                the 120cc heads aren't going to gain much over the very small dish
                                                stock late pistons.
                                                Dave
                                              • Preston III
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                                  I've never decked the block, or shaved the heads of a Caddy
                                                  engine, but if it's anything like a Chevrolet small block,
                                                  there's a limit that you can go before you have to do some
                                                  machining to the intake manifold too. I expect that if you
                                                  go past a certain extent, then you'll be in for spending
                                                  even a few dollars more!

                                                  Don't forget to inquire as to whether the changing geometry,
                                                  and clearances of the intake/head surfaces may require a
                                                  specific gasket, such as something extra thick.

                                                  Also, in a true performance application, you may consider
                                                  port matching the intake manifold to the intake side of
                                                  the cylinder heads, as this is the dimension that will change
                                                  as you go shaving things.

                                                  Preston III

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                                    Jerry,

                                                    I've only seen a few late 500s apart, but they all were pretty decent
                                                    as far as deck to piston. Assuming you have eom pistons and they're
                                                    good shape, and a 40-50 thou gasket is used, a .020" to *maybe .025"
                                                    deck cut will give you a nice tight assembled quench. El-cheapo cast
                                                    replacement pistons are often 20+ thou shorter than oem. I would
                                                    shoot for 040" assembled quench, regardless. Experts use either
                                                    Felpro of Corteco gaskets. The Coretcos are a little better, but
                                                    thicker, btw. .044"-.048" installed, iirc. You may need to stick the
                                                    piston out of the hole a bit wioth those. The 472/500 heads can be
                                                    cut way down. 050" is nothing on those, afaik. The 425 heads' deck
                                                    isn't as thick, and experts say not to cut them much over 040".

                                                    As far as rocker geometry, you can use shorter pushrods. You can also
                                                    have a good stock cam re-ground, and that'll reduce the base circle a
                                                    bit. Maybe enough to make up for the head/block cut. Most of the
                                                    caddy parts vendors offer re-ground cams, btw, but most grinders will
                                                    do one for you if you have a decent stock core. A note on that; most
                                                    grinders want to use profiles with 10+ extra exhaust duration. Afaik,
                                                    it's not needed on a caddy, esp with the 76cc heads. Even the 120cc
                                                    heads' stock exhaust port flows well enough to allow same duration on
                                                    intake and exh. Some experts even say that when ported, the caddy
                                                    heads flow so well on exhaust side that they use a little less
                                                    exhaust duration!

                                                    As far as higher lift cams, you may need to snip a little from the
                                                    top of the guides for clearance there. The '68 up seals are a joke.
                                                    You can use the normal old umbrella valve seals from the '67 429
                                                    caddys. SBchevy springs can be used, but you'll need to get creative
                                                    with shimming. The caddy springs are very tall. The new behive
                                                    springs offered for fords and LS1 chevs work better, with a retainer
                                                    change, as they fit the caddy spring pad, and are taller than std sbc
                                                    springs. If you have a freindly machine shop, they'll probably have
                                                    some larger diameter used retainers from something that'll fit the
                                                    behive springs. Just make sure they fit with the 11/32" valve
                                                    keepers. Unlike the sbc or behive springs, larger o.d. springs will
                                                    require pricey spring seats and more machine work. If you don't have
                                                    a machine shop that you can trust, you might want to buy a spring
                                                    package from one of the vendors. If you use stock rockers, choose a
                                                    cam grind with nice slow ramps, as quick ramps are hard on the stock
                                                    stuff. When cam shopping, make sure to tell them that you want slooow
                                                    ramps. Fast ramps are hard on the stock T pedistals and rockers.
                                                    Dave

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Dec 12, 2004
                                                      Preston,

                                                      Good point. I've decked a couple of them, but only 10-20. There was
                                                      no need to cut the intake, or intake side of head. The intake may
                                                      ride up on the heads a wee bit, but unless a large amount of mat'l
                                                      was cut, the ports can be re-aligned when port matching.

                                                      If it was a problem, the intake could be cut, or the intake side of
                                                      the head, although the valve cover bolt hole bosses there make it a
                                                      bit tricky.

                                                      I know that this issue is common, as the .015" shorter 6.735" forged
                                                      olds rods are often used in the caddy. Another old combo is 7" olds
                                                      rods and 403" olds pistons. That combo is 40-50 thou short, so I'm
                                                      sure it's been addressed.
                                                      Dave

                                                      III <prestoniii2002@y...> wrote:
                                                      > I've never decked the block, or shaved the heads of a Caddy
                                                      > engine, but if it's anything like a Chevrolet small block,
                                                      > there's a limit that you can go before you have to do some
                                                      > machining to the intake manifold too. I expect that if you
                                                      > go past a certain extent, then you'll be in for spending
                                                      > even a few dollars more!
                                                      >
                                                      > Don't forget to inquire as to whether the changing geometry,
                                                      > and clearances of the intake/head surfaces may require a
                                                      > specific gasket, such as something extra thick.
                                                      >
                                                      > Also, in a true performance application, you may consider
                                                      > port matching the intake manifold to the intake side of
                                                      > the cylinder heads, as this is the dimension that will change
                                                      > as you go shaving things.
                                                      >

                                                      > Preston III
                                                      <snipped