Re: What did I buy

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
      Jerry,

      The 472 rods are 6.75" long, and wrist pins are 1".
      What's the bore/stroke? 425/472/500 valves are apx 2"/1.625".
      Rod journal is 2.5". I'm not well read on casting #, or the 368"
      engines. Are the block/heads cast iron?
      Dave

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry
      Brown" <jerome@p...> wrote:

> [...]
      > effective and FUN. In that spirit I purchased what I was told was
      > 1974 472 Cadillac and accompanying 400TH transmission. The price
      was
      > so good I considered the transmission a great buy and the engine a
      > gift. I bought the package to get the transmission as the engine
      is
      > a basket case. I'd like to rebuild and use if it has potential. I
      > know very little about Cadillac big block engines and want to
      learn
      > more.
      >
      > Here are some codes I found. Can any of the members help me with
      > proper identification:
      >
      > Block stamped in back by sending unit: 49520
      > Block stamped in front, top: 207
      >
      > Heads both stamped: 1602498 on top of head under rocker arm cover
      >
      > Crank stamped in three places with the following: N, 319, CFD5Y
      >
      > Pistons are flat top, not dished or raised and stamped on top: 2D
      > they have a notch on the top edge (presumably to align correctly)
      > Pistons have an R cast in side close to wrist pin hole
      > Top of piston to ctr of wrist pin hole is apprx 1.795"
      > Wrist pin hole is apprx .454" dia.
      >
      > Rods are stamped with a 25 and a symbol that looks like a
      small 'w'
      > with a line over the top and underneath the 'w'. Its pretty faint
      so
      > I'm not sure of that identification. I'm loooking at it as though
      it
      > is a vertical alignment. If you look at it as horizontal it could
      be
      > 131 stamped on the rod. Its so faint its hard to tell.
      > Rods are approximately 6.875" long from ctr of wrist pin hole to
      > center of crankshaft hole. Big end of the rods appear to be in OK
      > condition but no bearings so difficult to tell. No looseness in
      > wrist pin area.
      >
      > Distributor does not have points and appears to be solid state
      maybe
      > HEI?
      >
      > I'd appreciate any help in identifying this engine and whether its
      > stock or not. The seller seemed to think the flat top pistons were
      > big deal and the engine did not have a cam in it leading me to
      > consider the possibility it may have been non-factory and pulled
      > save for another engine.
      >
      > Cylinders have no ridges and hone marks are still visible, pistons
      > look good with not very much carbon on top. combustion chambers on
      > heads and valves have considerable carbon but certainly not the
      > worst build up I've seen. Crank shaft journals are not
      > spun/gouged/burned and neither are the mains but the bearings are
      > all gone so its hard to tell what kind of wear it might have had.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > Jerry Brown
      > Woodland WA
      > ps. tried to send similar message earlier but don't think it went
      > through. If this is a duplicate, please excuse.
    • Jerry Brown
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
        hi Dave,
        the block and heads are cast iron. I'm pretty satisfied its a 74 472 with
        the flat top pistons. Everything else appears to be stock.
        Jerry Brown

        Brown" <jerome@p...> wrote:

> [...]
        > stock or not. The seller seemed to think the flat top pistons were
        > big deal and the engine did not have a cam in it leading me to
        > consider the possibility it may have been non-factory and pulled
        > save for another engine.
        >
        > Cylinders have no ridges and hone marks are still visible, pistons
        > look good with not very much carbon on top. combustion chambers on
        > heads and valves have considerable carbon but certainly not the
        > worst build up I've seen. Crank shaft journals are not
        > spun/gouged/burned and neither are the mains but the bearings are
        > all gone so its hard to tell what kind of wear it might have had.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Jerry Brown
        > Woodland WA
        > ps. tried to send similar message earlier but don't think it went
        > through. If this is a duplicate, please excuse.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • fivehundocutlass
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 11, 2004
          A good running stock cad 500 will dyno about 300hp and 500 ft lbs
          torque. A 472 wont be far behind. I have a 500 in my Cutlass and it
          has a mild cam and about 9 to 1 comp. (milled low comp. heads). It
          pulls like a freight train at 2500 rpms.
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2004
            Hi Jerry,

            It's no 472. The 472 rod is 6.75" C/L to C/L, the pin is 1", and the
            C/L of pin to top of pistons is apx 2.010".

            Did you measure bore/stroke? A 472" is 4.3" x 4.06".
            Dave