Re: What did I buy

  • Juan Ayon
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2004
      Jerry, here is a site with some engine specs.
      http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/

      If your planning to rebuild and it sounds like you are, then don't
      concern yourself to much with the stock ratings. Any year 472 or 500
      caddy block can be built to pretty much any power level you desire.
      Within reason I suppose...... I would recommend giving AL Betker,
      owner of MTS a call (262)740-1118. He can hook you up with anything
      you might need in parts and especially in some good sound advice!
      You could also post something on his messageboard too. There are a
      lot of good knowledgeable people that are willing to help.
      www.500cid.com (website)
      http://www.hwforums.com/2089/ (this is a link to Al's messageboard)

      You can also visit " CowboySeven" an independent Caddy performance
      forum. There are a few other vendors that frequently post there also
      that can equally lend you a hand in any need you might have. And
      just like Al they are good people with lots of knowledge and advice.
      http://www.cowboyseven.us/forum/index.php

      Hope this helps and good luck with your project.
      Juan
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
        Jerry,

        The 472 rods are 6.75" long, and wrist pins are 1".
        What's the bore/stroke? 425/472/500 valves are apx 2"/1.625".
        Rod journal is 2.5". I'm not well read on casting #, or the 368"
        engines. Are the block/heads cast iron?
        Dave

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry
        Brown" <jerome@p...> wrote:

> [...]
        > effective and FUN. In that spirit I purchased what I was told was
        > 1974 472 Cadillac and accompanying 400TH transmission. The price
        was
        > so good I considered the transmission a great buy and the engine a
        > gift. I bought the package to get the transmission as the engine
        is
        > a basket case. I'd like to rebuild and use if it has potential. I
        > know very little about Cadillac big block engines and want to
        learn
        > more.
        >
        > Here are some codes I found. Can any of the members help me with
        > proper identification:
        >
        > Block stamped in back by sending unit: 49520
        > Block stamped in front, top: 207
        >
        > Heads both stamped: 1602498 on top of head under rocker arm cover
        >
        > Crank stamped in three places with the following: N, 319, CFD5Y
        >
        > Pistons are flat top, not dished or raised and stamped on top: 2D
        > they have a notch on the top edge (presumably to align correctly)
        > Pistons have an R cast in side close to wrist pin hole
        > Top of piston to ctr of wrist pin hole is apprx 1.795"
        > Wrist pin hole is apprx .454" dia.
        >
        > Rods are stamped with a 25 and a symbol that looks like a
        small 'w'
        > with a line over the top and underneath the 'w'. Its pretty faint
        so
        > I'm not sure of that identification. I'm loooking at it as though
        it
        > is a vertical alignment. If you look at it as horizontal it could
        be
        > 131 stamped on the rod. Its so faint its hard to tell.
        > Rods are approximately 6.875" long from ctr of wrist pin hole to
        > center of crankshaft hole. Big end of the rods appear to be in OK
        > condition but no bearings so difficult to tell. No looseness in
        > wrist pin area.
        >
        > Distributor does not have points and appears to be solid state
        maybe
        > HEI?
        >
        > I'd appreciate any help in identifying this engine and whether its
        > stock or not. The seller seemed to think the flat top pistons were
        > big deal and the engine did not have a cam in it leading me to
        > consider the possibility it may have been non-factory and pulled
        > save for another engine.
        >
        > Cylinders have no ridges and hone marks are still visible, pistons
        > look good with not very much carbon on top. combustion chambers on
        > heads and valves have considerable carbon but certainly not the
        > worst build up I've seen. Crank shaft journals are not
        > spun/gouged/burned and neither are the mains but the bearings are
        > all gone so its hard to tell what kind of wear it might have had.
        >
        > Thanks.
        > Jerry Brown
        > Woodland WA
        > ps. tried to send similar message earlier but don't think it went
        > through. If this is a duplicate, please excuse.
      • Jerry Brown
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
          hi Dave,
          the block and heads are cast iron. I'm pretty satisfied its a 74 472 with
          the flat top pistons. Everything else appears to be stock.
          Jerry Brown

          Brown" <jerome@p...> wrote:

> [...]
          > stock or not. The seller seemed to think the flat top pistons were
          > big deal and the engine did not have a cam in it leading me to
          > consider the possibility it may have been non-factory and pulled
          > save for another engine.
          >
          > Cylinders have no ridges and hone marks are still visible, pistons
          > look good with not very much carbon on top. combustion chambers on
          > heads and valves have considerable carbon but certainly not the
          > worst build up I've seen. Crank shaft journals are not
          > spun/gouged/burned and neither are the mains but the bearings are
          > all gone so its hard to tell what kind of wear it might have had.
          >
          > Thanks.
          > Jerry Brown
          > Woodland WA
          > ps. tried to send similar message earlier but don't think it went
          > through. If this is a duplicate, please excuse.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • fivehundocutlass
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2004
            A good running stock cad 500 will dyno about 300hp and 500 ft lbs
            torque. A 472 wont be far behind. I have a 500 in my Cutlass and it
            has a mild cam and about 9 to 1 comp. (milled low comp. heads). It
            pulls like a freight train at 2500 rpms.
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2004
              Hi Jerry,

              It's no 472. The 472 rod is 6.75" C/L to C/L, the pin is 1", and the
              C/L of pin to top of pistons is apx 2.010".

              Did you measure bore/stroke? A 472" is 4.3" x 4.06".
              Dave