Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] 86 FWD 4.1 V8 Swap to Chevy 4.3 V6

  • johnson kevin
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 29, 2004
      there are many choices...i prefer the cadillac 425 which can be installed using brackets and accessories from the 368 which came in the vehicle at least one, maybe 2 years...the easiest swap would be the oldsmobile 307 which came in these vehicles for several years...i am currently working on such a project with my nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a similar body style at the salvage yard.

      "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@...> wrote:

      Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM issues?

    • Robert B. Zapata Jr.
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2004
        Thanks but I have a front wheel drive, that was the first motor i
        wanted to put in to my caddy was my 307 out of a Hurst olds but it
        is way to big to fit into the engine bay.

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, johnson
        kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
        > there are many choices...i prefer the cadillac 425 which can be
        installed using brackets and accessories from the 368 which came in
        the vehicle at least one, maybe 2 years...the easiest swap would be
        the oldsmobile 307 which came in these vehicles for several
        years...i am currently working on such a project with my
        nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a
        wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a similar
        body style at the salvage yard.

        > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
        > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM issues?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > Get unlimited calls to
        >
        > U.S./Canada

        Service.

        > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!
      • johnson kevin
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
          what kind of make, model, and year do you have?  my nephew has a 1982 Cadillac El Dorado.
          the 307 was available in similar vehicles.  It is a direct swap if you use the brackets, accessories, etc. from one of these vehicles.  the oldsmobile toronado and the buick riviera share the same chassis during certain years and the make excellent swap candidates.

          kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
          > there are many choices...i prefer the cadillac 425 which can be
          installed using brackets and accessories from the 368 which came in
          the vehicle at least one, maybe 2 years...the easiest swap would be
          the oldsmobile 307 which came in these vehicles for several
          years...i am currently working on such a project with my
          nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a
          wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a similar
          body style at the salvage yard.

          > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
          > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM issues?
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > Get unlimited calls to
          >
          > U.S./Canada

          Service.

        • johnson kevin
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
            the 4100 has the BOP pattern.

            Scott Pearson <mrcad472@...> wrote:

            If this car has a digital dash and BCM you'll have to match the data stream.

            Remember, the 4.3 has a standard Chevy pattern. I think the 4100 has the
            transverse FWD pattern.

            Scott

            > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM issues?

            or selling a car. FREE Quotes, 360� Tours, Research,
            Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/lkiolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Do you Yahoo!?
            The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!
          • Robert B. Zapata Jr.
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
              Kevin thank you for thr info. I have a 1986 Coupedeville Frint wheel
              drive. I do not think it will work. Or will it?

              kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
              > what kind of make, model, and year do you have? my nephew has a
              1982 Cadillac El Dorado.
              > the 307 was available in similar vehicles. It is a direct swap if
              you use the brackets, accessories, etc. from one of these vehicles.
              the oldsmobile toronado and the buick riviera share the same chassis
              during certain years and the make excellent swap candidates.

              > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
              >
              > Thanks but I have a front wheel drive, that was the first motor i
              > wanted to put in to my caddy was my 307 out of a Hurst olds but it
              > is way to big to fit into the engine bay.
              >
              > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, johnson
              > kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
              > > there are many choices...i prefer the cadillac 425 which can be
              > installed using brackets and accessories from the 368 which came
              in
              > the vehicle at least one, maybe 2 years...the easiest swap would
              be
              > the oldsmobile 307 which came in these vehicles for several
              > years...i am currently working on such a project with my
              > nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a
              > wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a similar
              > body style at the salvage yard.
              > >
              > > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
              > > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM
              issues?

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > > Get unlimited calls to
              > >
              > > U.S./Canada

              > Service.

              > > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

            • johnson kevin
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                you have a lot of choices...any engine with the BOP pattern will fit with the proper engine mounts etc...I would go with a 425, 472, 500cid from an earlier deville...you can use the engine mounts from a 368 engine which came in the '81 deville and later deville hearse/limo...
                the most ideal would be the 425 because  it is 100lbs. lighter than the 472/500 and will be easier on your OD transmission...you will need a special flexplate to use the OD or you can
                swap in a t400 from a 368 deville along with the crossmember and driveshaft, etc...you will also need the larger radiator from the 368 deville.

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                  Do you think there is enought room in the small Cadillac?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                    my bad...i thought you had a rwd deville...for the fwd i think your only option would be the 4.5L
                    transverse mount engine.

                    kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > > years...i am currently working on such a project with my
                    > > nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a
                    > > wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a
                    similar
                    > > body style at the salvage yard.
                    > > >
                    > > > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
                    > > > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM
                    > issues?
                    > > >

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > > > Get unlimited calls to
                    > > >
                    > > > U.S./Canada

                    > > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                    > > Service.

                    > > >  Meet the all-new My Yahoo! � Try it today!
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                    > Service.

                    > >  Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage less.

                  • Kevin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2004
                      sorry, i meant the 4.9L transverse engine.