Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] 86 FWD 4.1 V8 Swap to Chevy 4.3 V6

  • Scott Pearson
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 24, 2004
      If this car has a digital dash and BCM you'll have to match the data stream.

      Remember, the 4.3 has a standard Chevy pattern. I think the 4100 has the
      transverse FWD pattern.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 25, 2004
        Depends on the application. Some 4.1's had the BOP pattern and used the
        longitudinal FWD stuff, while the later ones were transverse. I don't know
        which an '86 is...

        Prolly a better swap, and easier in terms of electronics, would be a 4.9
        from a '91-'95 Caddy.

        Will

        > From: "Scott Pearson" <mrcad472@...>
        >Subject: Re: 86 FWD 4.1 V8 Swap to Chevy 4.3 V6
        >
        >If this car has a digital dash and BCM you'll have to match the data stream.
        >
        >Remember, the 4.3 has a standard Chevy pattern. I think the 4100 has the
        >transverse FWD pattern.
        >
        >Scott

      • Robert B. Zapata Jr.
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 25, 2004
          Thank you Everboady for your input. I just want to but a engine in
          there that is more tougher than a cadillac engine. And I was told it
          could not be done. I said Ha you will see. I like to do what they
          say can not be done.

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, William
          Lucke <wlucke@s...> wrote:
          > Depends on the application. Some 4.1's had the BOP pattern and
          used the
          > longitudinal FWD stuff, while the later ones were transverse. I
          don't know
          > which an '86 is...
          >
          > Prolly a better swap, and easier in terms of electronics, would be
          a 4.9
          > from a '91-'95 Caddy.
          >

          > Will
          >

          > > From: "Scott Pearson" <mrcad472@i...>
          > >Subject: Re: 86 FWD 4.1 V8 Swap to Chevy 4.3 V6
          > >
          > >If this car has a digital dash and BCM you'll have to match the
          data stream.

          > >Remember, the 4.3 has a standard Chevy pattern. I think the 4100
          has the
          > >transverse FWD pattern.
          > >
          > >Scott

        • johnson kevin
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 29, 2004
            there are many choices...i prefer the cadillac 425 which can be installed using brackets and accessories from the 368 which came in the vehicle at least one, maybe 2 years...the easiest swap would be the oldsmobile 307 which came in these vehicles for several years...i am currently working on such a project with my nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a similar body style at the salvage yard.

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 30, 2004
              Thanks but I have a front wheel drive, that was the first motor i
              wanted to put in to my caddy was my 307 out of a Hurst olds but it
              is way to big to fit into the engine bay.

              --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, johnson
              kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
              > there are many choices...i prefer the cadillac 425 which can be
              installed using brackets and accessories from the 368 which came in
              the vehicle at least one, maybe 2 years...the easiest swap would be
              the oldsmobile 307 which came in these vehicles for several
              years...i am currently working on such a project with my
              nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a
              wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a similar
              body style at the salvage yard.

              > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
              > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM issues?
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > Get unlimited calls to
              >
              > U.S./Canada

              Service.

              > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!
            • johnson kevin
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                what kind of make, model, and year do you have?  my nephew has a 1982 Cadillac El Dorado.
                the 307 was available in similar vehicles.  It is a direct swap if you use the brackets, accessories, etc. from one of these vehicles.  the oldsmobile toronado and the buick riviera share the same chassis during certain years and the make excellent swap candidates.

                kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
                > there are many choices...i prefer the cadillac 425 which can be
                installed using brackets and accessories from the 368 which came in
                the vehicle at least one, maybe 2 years...the easiest swap would be
                the oldsmobile 307 which came in these vehicles for several
                years...i am currently working on such a project with my
                nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a
                wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a similar
                body style at the salvage yard.

                > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
                > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM issues?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > Get unlimited calls to
                >
                > U.S./Canada

                Service.

              • johnson kevin

                  > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM issues?

                  or selling a car. FREE Quotes, 360� Tours, Research,
                  Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/lkiolB/TM

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!
                • Robert B. Zapata Jr.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                    Kevin thank you for thr info. I have a 1986 Coupedeville Frint wheel
                    drive. I do not think it will work. Or will it?

                    kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
                    > what kind of make, model, and year do you have? my nephew has a
                    1982 Cadillac El Dorado.
                    > the 307 was available in similar vehicles. It is a direct swap if
                    you use the brackets, accessories, etc. from one of these vehicles.
                    the oldsmobile toronado and the buick riviera share the same chassis
                    during certain years and the make excellent swap candidates.

                    > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Thanks but I have a front wheel drive, that was the first motor i
                    > wanted to put in to my caddy was my 307 out of a Hurst olds but it
                    > is way to big to fit into the engine bay.
                    >
                    > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, johnson
                    > kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
                    > > there are many choices...i prefer the cadillac 425 which can be
                    > installed using brackets and accessories from the 368 which came
                    in
                    > the vehicle at least one, maybe 2 years...the easiest swap would
                    be
                    > the oldsmobile 307 which came in these vehicles for several
                    > years...i am currently working on such a project with my
                    > nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a
                    > wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a similar
                    > body style at the salvage yard.
                    > >
                    > > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
                    > > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM
                    issues?

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > > Get unlimited calls to
                    > >
                    > > U.S./Canada

                    > Service.

                    > > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! – Try it today!
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Service.

                  • johnson kevin
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                      you have a lot of choices...any engine with the BOP pattern will fit with the proper engine mounts etc...I would go with a 425, 472, 500cid from an earlier deville...you can use the engine mounts from a 368 engine which came in the '81 deville and later deville hearse/limo...
                      the most ideal would be the 425 because  it is 100lbs. lighter than the 472/500 and will be easier on your OD transmission...you will need a special flexplate to use the OD or you can
                      swap in a t400 from a 368 deville along with the crossmember and driveshaft, etc...you will also need the larger radiator from the 368 deville.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                        Do you think there is enought room in the small Cadillac?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2004
                          my bad...i thought you had a rwd deville...for the fwd i think your only option would be the 4.5L
                          transverse mount engine.

                          kevin <kp5002002@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                          > > years...i am currently working on such a project with my
                          > > nephew...the 4100 locked up...his father gave him a 307 from a
                          > > wrecked delta 88...we got the oil pan and brackets from a
                          similar
                          > > body style at the salvage yard.
                          > > >
                          > > > "Robert B. Zapata Jr." <rzapatajr@y...> wrote:
                          > > > Has any body swapped a 4100 FWD for a 4.3 V6? If so any ECM
                          > issues?
                          > > >

                          > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          > > > Get unlimited calls to
                          > > >
                          > > > U.S./Canada

                          > > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                          > > Service.

                          > > >  Meet the all-new My Yahoo! � Try it today!
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                          > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                          > Service.

                          > >  Yahoo! Mail - 250MB free storage. Do more. Manage less.

                        • Kevin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 4, 2004
                            sorry, i meant the 4.9L transverse engine.