Re: putting a 425 78 de ville engine in 77 chevy pickup

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
      Anthony,

      That swap would be easy, since the 425 has the mid-sump pan, which is
      needed in a truck swap [rear sump can also be used]. The Deville may
      have a short or long tail TH400 [not sure which], but either will
      work for your swap with driveshaft mods. RWD caddy exh manifolds can
      be used, as can chevy pickup headers if caddy flanges are welded on.

      The 425 and 472s have the same stroke. The 425's bore is smaller. You
      could put a 500 crank in a 425, but custom pistons would be needed.
      Not a logical thing, money wise. You could just run the 425 as is,
      and upgrade to a 472 or 500 later. They all bolt in the same.

      Check out the cowboyseven forum as well as the group that Al at MTS
      owns. I'm sure that fellows there will help with any questions.
      <http://www.hwforums.com/2089>
      <http://cowboyseven.us/forum/index.php>
      Dave