putting a 425 78 de ville engine in 77 chevy pickup

  • anthonymenard
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
      i have a 425 engine that i'm considering putting in my 77 chevy
      short wheelbase pickup. What kind of surprises would come with this
      swap? and does the deville have the 400 transmission? I was told
      that if i change the crank and bore this engine to 30 over, it would
      be a 454, is this accurate? any hints, tricks of the trade, or
      sound advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!! thanks!!!!
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2004
        Anthony,

        That swap would be easy, since the 425 has the mid-sump pan, which is
        needed in a truck swap [rear sump can also be used]. The Deville may
        have a short or long tail TH400 [not sure which], but either will
        work for your swap with driveshaft mods. RWD caddy exh manifolds can
        be used, as can chevy pickup headers if caddy flanges are welded on.

        The 425 and 472s have the same stroke. The 425's bore is smaller. You
        could put a 500 crank in a 425, but custom pistons would be needed.
        Not a logical thing, money wise. You could just run the 425 as is,
        and upgrade to a 472 or 500 later. They all bolt in the same.

        Check out the cowboyseven forum as well as the group that Al at MTS
        owns. I'm sure that fellows there will help with any questions.
        <http://www.hwforums.com/2089>
        <http://cowboyseven.us/forum/index.php>
        Dave