Re: 500 in a 65

  • formula4disaster
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2004
      Cadillac started using the TH400 in '64 so it should swap right in but
      I am not sure about engine mount locations. Are the 500 and 429 the
      same block?

      One of the local DJ's has a 500 in his '63 (supposedly, I have never
      seen it) and said it fits. FWIW

      --ian
      75 Calais 2-dr ht

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "od396"

    • joe4@DigArts.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
        The '65 had a 429 which is a different block than the 500. Engine mounts
        and boltpattern are different.
        I've heard that you can use '68 engine mounts etc. to put a 500, 472, 425
        or 368 into a '67. I think that would work for the '65 as well, but I don't
        know for sure. I think it comes down to if the frame isn't too different
        from a '68 it should be pretty easy.
        The 500 has a BOP boltpattern so finding a tranny is easy.

        Hope that helps.

        --

        Joe Hamlin '78 Eldo Biarritz
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2004
          "od396",

          IRC, your '65 trans is actually has the old buick round bellhousing
          pattern, with an adapter that allows it to bolt to the caddy engine.
          You can use any '68 up caddy trans to bolt to the '73 eldo engine,
          but fyi: your '65 trans is a "switch pitch". To retain that feature,
          you'll have to swap the innards from your trans into a later bop case.
          Dave