THM440-t4 aka 4t60 driven sprocket support/case spacing

  • shwgidy
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hi forum,
      Im in the final process of rebuilding my '88 THM440-t4 and I am
      stumped. I have heard the tolerance should be 0.006-0.012" between
      the driven sprocket support and the case. Mine is roughly 0.09". I
      think I remember that the driven sprocket support did drop down some
      when I took it apart but I dont know/think it was that much...

      The guy who rebuilt my clutch packs took out 3 springs in one of them
      for a firmer shift, could that allow for the sprocket support to drop
      down more?

      I have restacked everything and checked everything about 4 times and
      I dont think I missed anything. Ive asked a couple of trans. shops
      and they say this isnt common... It currently has the blue (the one
      just larger then the white one) selective thrust washer in it now,
      should I put a larger one in? Has anyone had to do this?

      The trans was at 127k miles, slipped in most every gear, and I think
      the trans fluid was never changed (along with the motor oil)... Do
      you think poor lubrication could result in this odd wearing?

      Thanks for any input,
      Brian