Re: 390 blueprinting

  • snyiper
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2004
      I have to agree with Hotrod the engine and age of the engine is a non
      factor, they are all similar when you have the proper specs. Heck we
      used to "Blueprint" engines when we rebuilt them on the street in the
      early seventies!! Any competent engine builder should be able to spec
      your engine during a proper rebuild and it should cost no more. Ask
      the builder what the difference between a well put together engine
      and one that is "Blueprinted". Then ask yourself would you buy a non
      blueprinted engine from him? I think the term has several different
      meanings, I was thinking "Blueprinting" was extra stuff like
      Balancing the rotating assy, Brass freeze plugs, ccing heads and
      extra things that enhance a rebuild. Make sure you understand what
      they are selling you and good luck.
      Glenn

      --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "hottrod41"
      <hottrod41@y...> wrote:
      > ---Greg,
      >
      > I find it odd that any mechanic that works on any kind of engine
      > would make that comment about it being "old iron". Blueprinting,
      > which is simply checking all the clearances to factory
      specifications
      > is no more difficult on a Caddy 390 than any other engine.
      Actually,
      > most parts ordered fall within these specs but should be checked
      > while assembling the engine. I have five Caddy 390's in 3 1959
      > Caddy's, a 1961, a 1962, and they are no more difficult to rebuild
      > than any other motor.
      >
      > Rod and main bearings in most all motors have a clearance of .002
      > inch, crankshaft journals should be checked for any out of round
      > condition with a micrometer, and basically any correct engine
      > building process would be called blueprinting. It is inconceivable
      > me that any mechanic would simply assemble the parts in an engine
      and
      > not check any clearances, but evidently it is done all the time.
      Most
      > general repair shops these days just seem to see how fast they can
      > slam the jobs in and out.
      >
      > I have built a lot of oddball engines for years. One of the rule
      of
      > thumb practices regarding having a crank re-machined is if your
      > fingernail catches on any bearing journal surface, it should be
      > machined to the next oversize bearing, most generally .010
      inch, .020
      > inch, or .030 inch.
      >
      > If you have some questions, please e-mail me at hottrod41@y...
      > I also have a website up at http://geocities.com/hottrodscars
      >
      > Also for parts availability, I have subscribed to Hemmings Motor
      News
      > for about 30 years. Their online site is http://hemmings.com
      >
      > hottrod
      >

      > In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "rockinrye"
      > <rockinrye@y...> wrote:
      > > Hey,
      > > Can anyone recommend someone in the Northeast to blueprint a 390?
      > > I may even be interested in some custom work.
      > > Most shops I've asked just shake their head and comment that its
      > > some pretty old iron... They are just looking to bang out SBCs.
      > > I'm looking for someone that has some experience with these
      motors
      > > and the right equipment.
      > >
      > > Much appreciated,
      > > Greg
    • GregTalbott
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
        Ditto... sounds more like they just don't want to bother with
        obtaining parts and checking your block & heads, etc. I don't know why
        a "performance auto parts" shop wouldn't be willing to do a quality
        buildup on this engine.

        Greg Talbott

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "snyiper"
        <snyiper@y...> wrote:
        > I have to agree with Hotrod the engine and age of the engine is a non
        > factor, they are all similar when you have the proper specs.
      • hottrod the man behind the wheel
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 25, 2004
          Yes, that was my point exactly; they probably don't
          check clearances on anything.

          hottrod

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail