Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Digest Number 502

  • wlucke@shentel.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2004
      Packaging is the primary consideration, as a front steer rack would go right
      through the bellhousing and oil pan of a Northstar. Moving the steering gear
      forward far enough to clear these parts can promote odd steering behavior (bump
      steer).
      The knuckles could possibly be swapped left for right and the steering system
      set up behind the axle, but using a transverse powertrain with a front steer
      suspension will get complicated.

      Will

      > From: Steven Critchfield <yahoo@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Northstar swap into a 74 Cadillac Eldorado
      >
      > On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:09, William Lucke wrote:
      >
      > > It can be done, but it would be a lot of work, particularly on the wiring
      side.
      > > It may also be a lot of work on the suspension side. Is that chassis front
      > > steer or rear steer? (IE, is the steering gear in front of the axle
      > > centerline or behind it?)
      > > Transverse FWD cars MUST be rear steer, while longitudinal FWD could be
      > > either way. If the chassis is front steer, that adds a LOT of complexity to
      > > the swap because you'll have to build an entirely new steering system.
      >
      > I'm curious why the position of the tie rods matter? It would seem that
      > the only thing that matters is the ability to position parts. In a
      > transverse motor mount in a compact area, I can see the need to put it
      > on the firewall and steer from the back side of the knuckle. If space
      > isn't a big concern, why couldn't the steering stay in front of the
      > knuckle. Is there some geometry problem I don't grasp outside of space
      > for parts?

      This message was sent using Shentel WebMail.
      http://WebMail.Shentel.Net
    • Patrick
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2004
        It seems from everyones response and a few websites out there that
        sliding the money into the 500ci would be the best choice with
        efficiency and power band with less time and money etc etc etc
        etc.. ... So i should pull this unit out have it worked at the
        machine shop and change the cam and lifters and springs and have the
        heads remaned etc ? So what would be the best combo on the cam etc
        with stock heads ?

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, wlucke@s...