Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Northstar swap into a 74 Cadillac Eldorado

  • Sean Janne
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
      I personally wouldn't do it! The Northstar lacks the
      low end torque needed to move a 5,000 pound plus
      Eldorado!
      The Northstars peak torque is around 4,400 RPM with
      300 lb-ft, versus the 500's peak at 2,500 RPM or so
      with easily over 380 lb-ft. It wouldn't be as fun
      without the tire melting torque of a big block!
      It would be an interesting swap, but I would just
      put the money into the 500, and you would have one bad
      Eldo!!

      Regards,
      Sean Janne
      2000 STS Northstar
      1979 Deville 472
      1994 Deville

      --- Patrick <plworley31@...> wrote:

      > hello everyone
      >
      > Any info on a swap to remove the 500cid original and
      > place the
      > Northstar in the engine bay of this front wheel
      > drive machine ? Ever
      > heard of it ? Have pictures ? Ideas ? Thoughts ?
      > etc..
      >

      > All help is much appreciated.
      >
      > your Caddy friend

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • William Lucke
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
        What are you looking for in the swap? Speed? Uniqueness? Just general coolness?

        As has been said, that chassis is probably 1,000# heavier than the chassis
        in which the Northstar was installed by GM. However, the 4T80E automatic is
        one of the best out there and (from what I hear... I'm using my Northstar
        with manual trans) is very good at covering up for the engine's
        comparatively small store of low RPM torque.

        It can be done, but it would be a lot of work, particularly on the wiring side.
        It may also be a lot of work on the suspension side. Is that chassis front
        steer or rear steer? (IE, is the steering gear in front of the axle
        centerline or behind it?)
        Transverse FWD cars MUST be rear steer, while longitudinal FWD could be
        either way. If the chassis is front steer, that adds a LOT of complexity to
        the swap because you'll have to build an entirely new steering system.

        Will

        > From: "Patrick" <plworley31@...>
        >Subject: Northstar swap into a 74 Cadillac Eldorado
        >
        >hello everyone
        >
        >Any info on a swap to remove the 500cid original and place the
        >Northstar in the engine bay of this front wheel drive machine ? Ever
        >heard of it ? Have pictures ? Ideas ? Thoughts ? etc..
        >

        >All help is much appreciated.
        >
        >your Caddy friend
      • Steven Critchfield
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
          On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:09, William Lucke wrote:

          > It can be done, but it would be a lot of work, particularly on the wiring side.
          > It may also be a lot of work on the suspension side. Is that chassis front
          > steer or rear steer? (IE, is the steering gear in front of the axle
          > centerline or behind it?)
          > Transverse FWD cars MUST be rear steer, while longitudinal FWD could be
          > either way. If the chassis is front steer, that adds a LOT of complexity to
          > the swap because you'll have to build an entirely new steering system.

          I'm curious why the position of the tie rods matter? It would seem that
          the only thing that matters is the ability to position parts. In a
          transverse motor mount in a compact area, I can see the need to put it
          on the firewall and steer from the back side of the knuckle. If space
          isn't a big concern, why couldn't the steering stay in front of the
          knuckle. Is there some geometry problem I don't grasp outside of space
          for parts?