Northstar swap into a 74 Cadillac Eldorado

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
      hello everyone

      Any info on a swap to remove the 500cid original and place the
      Northstar in the engine bay of this front wheel drive machine ? Ever
      heard of it ? Have pictures ? Ideas ? Thoughts ? etc..

      All help is much appreciated.

      your Caddy friend
    • Sean Janne
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
        I personally wouldn't do it! The Northstar lacks the
        low end torque needed to move a 5,000 pound plus
        Eldorado!
        The Northstars peak torque is around 4,400 RPM with
        300 lb-ft, versus the 500's peak at 2,500 RPM or so
        with easily over 380 lb-ft. It wouldn't be as fun
        without the tire melting torque of a big block!
        It would be an interesting swap, but I would just
        put the money into the 500, and you would have one bad
        Eldo!!

        Regards,
        Sean Janne
        2000 STS Northstar
        1979 Deville 472
        1994 Deville

        --- Patrick <plworley31@...> wrote:

        > hello everyone
        >
        > Any info on a swap to remove the 500cid original and
        > place the
        > Northstar in the engine bay of this front wheel
        > drive machine ? Ever
        > heard of it ? Have pictures ? Ideas ? Thoughts ?
        > etc..
        >

        > All help is much appreciated.
        >
        > your Caddy friend

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • William Lucke
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
          What are you looking for in the swap? Speed? Uniqueness? Just general coolness?

          As has been said, that chassis is probably 1,000# heavier than the chassis
          in which the Northstar was installed by GM. However, the 4T80E automatic is
          one of the best out there and (from what I hear... I'm using my Northstar
          with manual trans) is very good at covering up for the engine's
          comparatively small store of low RPM torque.

          It can be done, but it would be a lot of work, particularly on the wiring side.
          It may also be a lot of work on the suspension side. Is that chassis front
          steer or rear steer? (IE, is the steering gear in front of the axle
          centerline or behind it?)
          Transverse FWD cars MUST be rear steer, while longitudinal FWD could be
          either way. If the chassis is front steer, that adds a LOT of complexity to
          the swap because you'll have to build an entirely new steering system.

          Will

          > From: "Patrick" <plworley31@...>
          >Subject: Northstar swap into a 74 Cadillac Eldorado
          >
          >hello everyone
          >
          >Any info on a swap to remove the 500cid original and place the
          >Northstar in the engine bay of this front wheel drive machine ? Ever
          >heard of it ? Have pictures ? Ideas ? Thoughts ? etc..
          >

          >All help is much appreciated.
          >
          >your Caddy friend
        • Steven Critchfield
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 17, 2004
            On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 13:09, William Lucke wrote:

            > It can be done, but it would be a lot of work, particularly on the wiring side.
            > It may also be a lot of work on the suspension side. Is that chassis front
            > steer or rear steer? (IE, is the steering gear in front of the axle
            > centerline or behind it?)
            > Transverse FWD cars MUST be rear steer, while longitudinal FWD could be
            > either way. If the chassis is front steer, that adds a LOT of complexity to
            > the swap because you'll have to build an entirely new steering system.

            I'm curious why the position of the tie rods matter? It would seem that
            the only thing that matters is the ability to position parts. In a
            transverse motor mount in a compact area, I can see the need to put it
            on the firewall and steer from the back side of the knuckle. If space
            isn't a big concern, why couldn't the steering stay in front of the
            knuckle. Is there some geometry problem I don't grasp outside of space
            for parts?