97 catera

  • Tom Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2004
      Hi Group
      I looking at a 97 catera. Can anyone tell me about known problems with
      that model moter, trans etc. It rides like a dream but the gas pedal
      is rock hard the dealer tells me that's normal in that car.
      Thanx for any input.
      Tom
    • Scott Pearson
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2004
        I've got one of these, it's my wife's work car. It's got just over 100K on
        it now. I don't remember the gas pedal being all that hard. Just seemed
        normal to me. They do ride and drive nice. My only complaint is that I'm 6'
        and I can't extend the seat back far enough for long trips (4+hours). Works
        ok for local driving.

        This is the first year of the Catera and is subject to all the typical first
        year problems. Most of it associated with the timing belt/water pump. These
        should be replaced regularly. Beware, especially if you're inclined to do
        the work on this car yourself, you *NEED* a special tool to do the timing
        belt. This tool costs about $400. You'll also want to do a water pump while
        you've got it apart.

        These cars also tend to wear the rear tires pretty hard. If you keep them
        rotated, it helps alot. I rotate mine every 10,000 miles. Between 85-90,000
        miles mine suddenly had an appetite for parts, had to do brakes on all 4
        corners, front wheel bearings and an alternator. Not really anything
        unusual, but parts for this car are rather expen$ive.

        The car is really a Vaxhaull Omega, very common in Europe. It's just
        rebadged as a Cadillac with some leather thrown at it.

        Scott