Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: 1980-1985 eldo/seville cooling....need help, how to succesfully pull it off???

  • Tom McKenna
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 26, 2004
      Anybody  think to double check the actual guage?????????????

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
        or air pocket in system? I have a Pontiac GP that is notorious for
        holding an air bubble and many fords were trouble also.
        The Pontiac runs okay on the highway but overheats at idle. The air
        bubble "symptom" appears as a steady gauge rise up to around 245
        degrees then rapid drop to 200 degrees.

        Greg Talbott

        --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tom McKenna"
        <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
        > Anybody think to double check the actual guage?????????????

      • RGermain
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
          air bubbles.... that reminds me....

          I had an old '68 Dodge 440 that would over heat in the dead of winter. And that was with a new radiator, water pump, hoses and heater core.

          I had an old mechanic friend suggest drilling two small holes into the thermostat. eighth inch or so.

          This allowed some coolant to bypass the thermostat. I cant say that I ever noticed if it took longer to warm or not after doing this. But it did the trick!

          <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
          > Anybody  think to double check the actual guage?????????????

          This email contains proprietary information and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it immediately.
        • Michael Wish
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
            One way to help with air bubbles is to run straight propylene glycol as the coolant. It has better thermal properties than water and ethylene glycol. It is also nontoxic.

            If your coolant has a corrosion inhibitor in it, fouling can occur were there are air pockets inside the cooling passageways. Corrosion inhibitors tend to form sludge when the coolant is exposed to air.

            [Michael Wish]