Re: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: 1980-1985 eldo/seville cooling....need help, how to succesfully pull it off???

  • Corey Harder
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 25, 2004
      Do you run a fan shroud?

      Corey
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 7:51 PM
      Subject: [Cadillac_Performance_Association] Re: 1980-1985 eldo/seville cooling....need help, how to succesfully pull it off???

      Just an update.... I am still have trouble keeping cool........I have
      a new radiator, new fan, new clutch, new waterpump, new thermostat.
      The head gaskets are new(rebuilt motor) and the cooling system passes
      a leak down test.  I still don't think there is enough air flowing
      through the radiator.  I am stuck.  The car even runs warm at 65 mph,
      there is plenty of  air hitting the radiator at that speed.  Does
      anyone have any ideas!?!????  It hasn't over heated yet, but I am
      more than confident if I took it on a trip I would have trouble.
      Cody, did you have any problems keeping the 472 cool?
      Thanks again,
      Mike Pascino

      --- In
      Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "mpascino_ny"
      <mpascino@a...> wrote:
      > Both cars have shrouds, one from an 1980 toronado, one from a 1979
      > eldo, both bolt on and look factory. I may remove one and take it
      > down the highway.  The factory shroud is mostly flat on the last 5
      > inchs of the shroud.  I guess it's possible it's restricting
      airflow,
      > but I doubt it since it sits 2-3 inches away from teh radiator.
      > Thanks,
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, RGermain
      > <rich_germain@y...> wrote:
      > > durring the swap, did you remove the fan shroud?
      > >
      > > often, the shroud has quite an impact on the air flow.
      > >
      > > if there isnt one, try to fabricate one and se if it helps
      > >
      > > mpascino_ny <mpascino@a...> wrote:
      > > Hello again everyone, I have a 1985 eldorado and a 1985 seville,
      > both
      > > cars have olds 350s with mild mods, one is MPI, both have 325-
      > 4l's.
      > > I have never really had any problems to speak of with the cars,
      > more
      > > of just pet pevvs I guess.  Both cars have 3 core radiators,
      which
      > in
      > > theroy should be more than enough to keep em running cool.  Each
      > > summer season that has gone by, both cars have minor trouble
      > running
      > > cool.  Both radiators are roughly 5 years old, and have been
      > reguarly
      > > flushed.  I have measured the temps across the radiator with an
      IR
      > > probe and found it to be pretty uniform.  Both cars have
      mechanical
      > > clutch fans, both newer.  The cars only start to run warm when on
      > the
      > > highway.  Around town isn't really a problem.  I can't understand
      > > what could possibly be the problem.  I am using fan shroud off a
      > 1980
      > > toronado, which is a direct bolt on.  Once I start to run warm, I
      > > find the radiator temp is about equal to the engine itself,
      > > suggesting I am not getting enough air flow to cool the radiator
      > > down.  There is nothing in front of the radiator or evaporator
      for
      > > the AC to restrict air flow.  Has anyone else had this problem?
      Is
      > > it possible there is not enough room for air to flow through the
      > > engine compartment?  I seem to think the problem was not existant
      > > when I first did the swap, but I also didn't drive either vehicle
      > > much back then, and prob not much during the hot summer days.
      The
      > > eldorado is at the point where I can not drive it anymore.  I
      have
      > > 160 degree thermostat in it, and when I drive it easy, it still
      > runs
      > > up to 190 degrees within 15 minutes.  Sorry for the long message
      > but
      > > I am stuck.  One car is set up similar to a 1979 eldo, cooling
      > system
      > > and all.  Does anyone know if they had cooling problems from the
      > > factory.  I just don't see how at 70 MPH how I could not have
      > enough
      > > air through the radiator.......I am considering buying a brand
      new
      > > radiator and giving it a whirl as a last resort, maybe even
      having
      > > one of mine recored with 4 cores.  Cody, do you have any trouble
      > > keeping the 472 cool?  Thanks in advance for and info or advice.
      > > Mike Pascino
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      > >    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      > Service.
      > >

      > > This email contains proprietary information and may be
      > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
      > you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
      > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received
      this
      > message in error, please delete it immediately.

    • Tom McKenna
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 26, 2004
        Anybody  think to double check the actual guage?????????????

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
          or air pocket in system? I have a Pontiac GP that is notorious for
          holding an air bubble and many fords were trouble also.
          The Pontiac runs okay on the highway but overheats at idle. The air
          bubble "symptom" appears as a steady gauge rise up to around 245
          degrees then rapid drop to 200 degrees.

          Greg Talbott

          --- In Cadillac_Performance_Association@yahoogroups.com, "Tom McKenna"
          <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
          > Anybody think to double check the actual guage?????????????

        • RGermain
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
            air bubbles.... that reminds me....

            I had an old '68 Dodge 440 that would over heat in the dead of winter. And that was with a new radiator, water pump, hoses and heater core.

            I had an old mechanic friend suggest drilling two small holes into the thermostat. eighth inch or so.

            This allowed some coolant to bypass the thermostat. I cant say that I ever noticed if it took longer to warm or not after doing this. But it did the trick!

            <TRAVELER@N...> wrote:
            > Anybody  think to double check the actual guage?????????????

          • Michael Wish
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 27, 2004
              One way to help with air bubbles is to run straight propylene glycol as the coolant. It has better thermal properties than water and ethylene glycol. It is also nontoxic.

              If your coolant has a corrosion inhibitor in it, fouling can occur were there are air pockets inside the cooling passageways. Corrosion inhibitors tend to form sludge when the coolant is exposed to air.

              [Michael Wish]